Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Jurij
Jurij began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Kindle 4 or Sony PRS-T1

Hi...

I know this have been up on the forum before. But I live in Denmark and here the Kindle and PRS-T1 cost exactly the same: 127£ or $205

I was going to buy the basic Kindle 4 as I don't need the touch screen. But now I am wondering if the Sony would be a better choise as it seems I am paying to much for the Kindle when living in Denmark.

The only thing I am going to do with the device is read pdf books that you can download for free. With pdf books I mean regular free books available online.

Which one is the better choice? Will I get my moneys wort if I pay $205 for the Kindle 4? Or is there a third choice perfect for reading pdf books?

Jurij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I do not have a K4, but rather Kindle Touch. But given your options, and your specific requirements, I would have to think the Sony is by far the better value:

- audio/Mp3 player
- expandable storage (micro SD slot)
- better PDF support (on-device auto or manual whitespace cropping, easy zoom/pan, 2/3 column mode, richer annotation options, PDF bookmark and link support). I'm pretty sure K4 cannot navigate PDF links (footnotes etc.) (Kindle Touch definitely can).
- better web browser (works well with gutenburg, dropbox, etc.)
- much better navigation options (for both ePub and PDF). K4 will not navigate PDF bookmarks, and no 'scrubber' or fast page turn to quickly jump around with. You have to use goto page and enter page number with the 5way, which is awkward.
- if you want to annotate, the virtual keyboard (or stylus) is much nicer than K4's text input method.
- I like the touch interface. And there are physical page turn buttons as well.

Keep in mind no 6" device is going to be 'perfect' for PDF books, in general, unless they are formatted specifically for that screen size. But if you are going to do it, Sony is probably the best device for it (KT is very good also, and better than K4). I've read a number of PDF books on my PRS-T1 and found it quite workable, but it is not for everyone.

The PRS-T1 is my first Sony ereader. You'll find people here saying that they prefer the previous generation devices, but I've been very happy with the T1. I mention it because you might be able to find a PRS-650 for less money.

One reason to get a Kindle is for Amazon's ecosystem (e.g. Personal Documents service, which has free storage and annotation backup). The Kindle Store experience is much better than Sony's (more reviews, easier to find things etc.). But since your primary requirement is for something to read 'free PDFs' that probably does not matter much.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Kindle 4 non touch vs T1? Go for T1 with blinded eyes
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Jurij

Thanks a lot. I thought the 2 e-readers were equally good considering the same pricing. I have heard a lot of good things about the Kindle and was going to buy one, even thought I thought they were way to expensive in Denmark. But now I am going to buy the T1 instead! The Kindle is so popular online that all the sites seem too prefer the Kindle. But in Denmark the PRS-T1 is the best based on your opinions.

Sorry sir, I can't seem to find the T1 with blinded eyes! :-)
Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Kindle Touch and the Sony PRS-T1 are comparable. The Kindle 4 (Kindle NT) is a cheaper, more basic e-reader. If the Kindle NT is similarly priced to the T1 in Denmark, you Danes are being ripped off!

Where do you get your prices from? You do know you can buy from Amazon for delivery to Denmark? The Kindle Touch is now available for sale internationally, you can buy it for $109 (including delivery) via Amazon.com.

In saying that, for PDFs, the T1 is probably slightly better I *think*. Though I'm sure it's not a big difference between the two for reading PDFs (unlike the Kindle 4/NT), as has already been said, any ereader with a 6" screen isn't great for PDFs.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 04-27-2012 at 09:10 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Jurij

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The Kindle Touch and the Sony PRS-T1 are comparable. The Kindle 4 (Kindle NT) is a cheaper, more basic e-reader. If the Kindle NT is similarly priced to the T1 in Denmark, you Danes are being ripped off!

Where do you get your prices from? You do know you can buy from Amazon for delivery to Denmark? The Kindle Touch is now available for sale internationally, you can buy it for $109 (including delivery) via Amazon.com.

In saying that, for PDFs, the T1 is probably slightly better I *think*. Though I'm sure it's not a big difference between the two for reading PDFs (unlike the Kindle 4/NT), as has already been said, any ereader with a 6" screen isn't great for PDFs.
It is $109 excluding delivery. The delivery to Denmark cost $96. We can't buy the Kindle from Europe with free delivery, but have to buy it from the amazon.com site.

I already ordered a PRS-T1 but I would have preferred a cheaper Kindle, if it were possible to buy one cheap.