Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
New e-reader device available in France soon - Walkbook

Lost in another thread I have come across Walkbook, an interesting e-reader device available in countries of the European Union. Meaning we do not have to pay exorbitant import taxes anymore just to get an e-book reader with an 800x600 6" screen. Now we can pay the (slightly-less) exorbitant Value Added Tax instead ;-)

Walkbook claims to be "OEM partner of Jinke products", opening their EU office in Paris / France by the end of this month. So we are eagerly awaiting a working "Buy now" link.

PS: Unfortunately the site only works in one of my three installed Windows browsers. Please, dear walkbook.net operators/administrators, if you read this, make the site accessible to people who can't use (or can't stand) Flash animation.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
295€, pretty nice price, seems like we're gonna see some sort of price drop for e-ink devices.

.wol format only ? That's the really bad part with these OEM devices, they only support their own format instead of using well-known format. In France, Bookeen does a much better job at supporting open formats.

Here's their FAQ:

1. Is WalkBook compatible for connection with a keyboard?

No, it is not. WalkBook does not support a keyboard connection since it has been designed as a reading device.
2. Is it possible to write something in Word format on the device?
The second display allows you to take short notes through its touchscreen. These notes can be saved in the device and can be reread anytime.
3. Is display black and white or colored?
All characters of reading screen are seen in 4 different tones of grey. When colored screen technology is available, it will be applied to WalkBook as well.
4.Is WalkBook eligible for wireless internet connection?
We are planning to introduce Wi-Fi version of WalkBook by 2008 according to our R&D studies.
5. What is the price of WalkBook?
Our price is 295 USD + VAT.
6. WalkBook’u nereden temin edebiliriz?
www.walkbook.net
www.morsepet.com
www.teknolojimagazasi.com
7. How long and under which conditions does WalkBook’s battery last?
The battery’s charge has a capacity of 7500 to 8000 page turning which decreases when MP3 files are played or functions of touchscreen are activated. There is no on/off buton on the device because it expends energy only for touchscreen activities or page turning. The last display stay printed on the screen until device is used again. Please refer to user’s manual which is published in our website.
8.I would like to see WalkBook, do you have showrooms?
Devices will be displayed in domestic branches of Uğur Learning Centers beginning from the 1st of May 2007. At the beginning, you will find Walkbook stands in Istanbul (Besiktas and Bakirkoy), Ankara, Izmir and Bursa branches.
9. What is the capacity of Walkbook’s memory?
The memory of WalkBook V8 only supports the operating system. All the other information (books, mp3 music files) is kept in the 1GB SD card which is given with the device as an accessory.
10. Do you have any technical service in Turkey?
We have technical service and the device has 24 monts warranty.
11. Is it possible to enlarge the existing font of the text in WalkBook?
Files in TXT format can be enlarged by 1 level by the user through the zoom function. However, we are planning to arrange books that can be read in the device with different font sizes in our website at www.walkbook.net. This option makes possible to read the same book with different font sizes for users. We believe that we have to provide this convenience to users even though this process is not easy ( because of long arranging time) for us.
12. Which format does WalkBook support?
WalkBook V8 supports .Wol and MP3 format. Word, TXT,
PowerPoint, Excel files are converted to .Wol format easily by a software which is called ‘walkbookMAKER’.
13. Does WalkBook have any problem with Turkish characters during reading? What is the language of menus?
According to Ministry of Trade and Industry’s rules, all devices which are designed for Turkish consumers have to support Turkish characters and have a user’s manual. WalkBook menus have been translated to Turkish by our team. User’s manual is also prepared in Turkish and more details are given to users via format converting software.
14. I have a WalkBook, how am I going to get e-books and download them?
As UBIT, we have an agreement with Yapı Kredi Publishing. We are going to publish a selection of 10 books in .wol format on our website in the beginning. Users of WalkBook are supposed to register to the website by entering the copyright card number and serial number of their devices. Our registered members can shop from our website for new books which will be added according to our agreement with different publishers. All the books in .Wol format are encrypted as 128 bit for each user during downloading. These encrypted files (books in .wol format) only work with the user’s device and they can not be copied and transfered to other devices. The advantages of this system are to prevent piracy and to reduce prices of books which are on sale in the market up to %50 and thus everybody can follow up the new released books easily.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
katania
katania doesn't litterkatania doesn't litter

Hello
Do you think we will be able to buy books elaewhere and format them easily with their WalkbookMaker??
It"s price is certanly more atractive than the iLiad's!
So here comes another option, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Is it wise to wait a while and see what comes out of this,,,,,
katania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by katania
Hello
Do you think we will be able to buy books elaewhere and format them easily with their WalkbookMaker??
It"s price is certanly more atractive than the iLiad's!
So here comes another option, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Is it wise to wait a while and see what comes out of this,,,,,
You can expect a few other devices for the second half of 2007, "wait and see" seems like a reasonable choice in this case.

As for their WalkbookMaker, the software is available for download on their website, you should give it a test and see if it formats books like you need.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
The way I understood it they are selling the V8 and the V2 (read the company rep's post in the other thread) but on their website i can only find a device that looks like the V8...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by katania
Since their FAQ indicates only Word and TXT files can be converted with WalkBookMaker, you'd need to be able to convert your other e-book formats to Word or TXT yourself. We may have to wait for a few adventurous code wonks to write some applications, but I'd imagine there are some apps able to do that with some formats now.

Guys?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Now the price is 328 EUR, with shipping and VAT. Much pricier then the previous 295 USD.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:04 AM   #8
muratlale4
muratlale4 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung I600,Treo 650, SonyEr. P1i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid
Now the price is 328 EUR, with shipping and VAT. Much pricier then the previous 295 USD.
Yepp the price changed!
It is allready out for order in Turkey! I thought of buying it, but it really looks like a V8. And I dont want to pay that much for a simple re-branded product. (I actually believe that it is a V8, the turkish webpage uses the same comparisons and terminologies!!)
And also the new Palm made me think also . Perhaps I should wait another couple of months??
best wishes
muratlale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Any user experience anyone?
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote