Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #76
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
First off thanks to mgmueller for the comprehensive list of devices and their inherent usefulness or lack thereof.

I currently have an older Sony PRS-500. Which I love and use daily on my commute and before bed and whenever else I can squeeze in reading time. Now, while I really enjoy my Sony reader it is far from perfect and I have a few questions on some of the other units.

1. I don't keep too many books on my reader at any given time but I usually have between 20-40 mainly due to lack of proper organization. With the Sony it can sort by author, title or collection. I do use collections for Series so I like that feature but I really wish there were more options to search/sort. Genre, author, read/unread/partially read, length, year etc. Do any of the devices offer this type of support for organizing your collection? I guess it would need to be database driven for this type of organizing. I am probably asking way too much here. But even just to know which books I haven't yet read quickly would be nice.

2. I always liked being able to pick a book from a pile and reads the short description on the back/inside jack. Do any of the readers support this? I know calibre pulls this data when entering in the metadata but as far as I can tell my Sony doesn't make use of this unless I am missing a menu item, which is entirely possible.

3. Being able to delete a book from the reader when finished? I know there is a hack for this for the Sony but I remember reading not to use it if you use collections.

Those are really currently my only shortcomings of my Sony and I am likely just being picky here but now that I know I enjoy the ebook reading lifestyle I could see picking up a newer unit as I originally bought the Sony due to it being cheap as it was used and an older model. I didn't want to drop $300+ on 505 at the time only to find out I didn't like it.

Thanks,

Kevin
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #77
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Many people dislike the Kindle's "section numbers" (which are a count of 128-byte units in the file). Just goes to show that no matter what you do, somebody's going to be unhappy. Personally, I'm happy with the progress bar; I know that you'd prefer numbers.
That is the reason that you give people options so they can choose what they like or need.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #78
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ould View Post
First off thanks to mgmueller for the comprehensive list of devices and their inherent usefulness or lack thereof.

I currently have an older Sony PRS-500. Which I love and use daily on my commute and before bed and whenever else I can squeeze in reading time. Now, while I really enjoy my Sony reader it is far from perfect and I have a few questions on some of the other units.

1. I don't keep too many books on my reader at any given time but I usually have between 20-40 mainly due to lack of proper organization. With the Sony it can sort by author, title or collection. I do use collections for Series so I like that feature but I really wish there were more options to search/sort. Genre, author, read/unread/partially read, length, year etc. Do any of the devices offer this type of support for organizing your collection? I guess it would need to be database driven for this type of organizing. I am probably asking way too much here. But even just to know which books I haven't yet read quickly would be nice.

2. I always liked being able to pick a book from a pile and reads the short description on the back/inside jack. Do any of the readers support this? I know calibre pulls this data when entering in the metadata but as far as I can tell my Sony doesn't make use of this unless I am missing a menu item, which is entirely possible.

3. Being able to delete a book from the reader when finished? I know there is a hack for this for the Sony but I remember reading not to use it if you use collections.

Those are really currently my only shortcomings of my Sony and I am likely just being picky here but now that I know I enjoy the ebook reading lifestyle I could see picking up a newer unit as I originally bought the Sony due to it being cheap as it was used and an older model. I didn't want to drop $300+ on 505 at the time only to find out I didn't like it.

Thanks,

Kevin
The Irex Iliad and the Sony PRS 500 are my only two ebook devices right now. In answers to your questions.

1. The Iliad allows you to create folders/subfolders on your memory card to organize your content. I like to organize my files by genre but you can name the folder whatever you want kind of like you would in Windows and you just have to navigate to it. I really like this over the way I worked with my PRS500, I didn't really use the genres I just used the main collections part so I had to navigate through bunch of pages to find my books
2. I think it depends more on the eBook than the reader. You can use links in the Iliad if the eBook supports it, I've had books where they had the backcover or dustcover summaries and you could jump to it in the TOC but I haven't see this too much.
3. On the Iliad you can rename files and delete files on the device. I like this because it keeps me from having to constantly go between my computer and the device to manage my files. I find I'm much more likely to just dump stuff on my Iliad than I was on my 500 because once I read it I can just delete it off. The extra step of needing to go to my computer kept me from overloading my 500 as well as the lack of folder support.

I also fine that the screen contrast is much nicer on my Iliad than on my 500. It could just be my 500 is old and that is what is causing it but its about a year older than my Iliad and I haven't been using it in a few months. I tried to start using it again and I found that I didn't like the contrast, it seems faint to me because the Iliad is sharper. I don't know if anyone else has the Iliad and the 500 to confirm this it could just be something exclusive to my device.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #79
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:

Thanks,

Kevin
Question 1: "...more options to search/sort. Genre, author, read/unread/partially read, length, year etc..."
You can sort on iRex iLiad and iRex 1000S by file date, for example. And you can generate folders and subfolders.
Usually, I don't need more than 2 hirarchical levels, i. e. folder "thriller" and subfolder "james patterson".
On Kindle 2 and Kindle DX it's even less comfortable than on Sony 500, as you describe it. And without Whispernet I can't even access the settings. So my internal clock dates to 1970 and all my already (partially) read books are moving to the end of the list. You CANNOT generate any folders.
I only have about 150 ebooks on each so far and it already isn't too comfortable anymore.
The others are similar to what you describe.

Question 2: "...reads the short description on the back/inside jack. Do any of the readers support this?..."
That's solved brilliantly on Kindle 2 and Kindle DX. By simply moving the "jogdial" to the right, you see the short description. With Whispernet (which I can't use over here in "old Europe") you even could expand that short description to the longer one on Amazon or Wikipedia or...
No similar technology on the other readers.
You could do something similar to that on iRex iLad. With "Manifest reator" (Java App) you can add cover graphics or comments. Manual process (PC or MAC), but at least, when checking a book months after having acquired it, you would have that description directly linked to the book.

Question 3: "Being able to delete a book from the reader..."
There's a hardware button on Cybook for that, but it's not implemented (yet?) into the OS.
You can do so on Sony 505 and Sony 700, by entering the context menu of the book. You can delete the reading history, bookmarks or the entire book.
It's even easier on Kindle 2 and Kindle DX. Pressing the "jogdial" to the right enters the description, described under question 2. Pushing the jogdial to the left enters the menu for deleting the book.
On iRex iLiad and iRex 1000S you can do so simply by the context menu via it's touchscreen.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-08-2009 at 06:37 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #80
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
The Irex Iliad and the Sony PRS 500 are my only two ebook devices right now. In answers to your questions.

1. The Iliad allows you to create folders/subfolders on your memory card to organize your content. I like to organize my files by genre but you can name the folder whatever you want kind of like you would in Windows and you just have to navigate to it. I really like this over the way I worked with my PRS500, I didn't really use the genres I just used the main collections part so I had to navigate through bunch of pages to find my books
2. I think it depends more on the eBook than the reader. You can use links in the Iliad if the eBook supports it, I've had books where they had the backcover or dustcover summaries and you could jump to it in the TOC but I haven't see this too much.
3. On the Iliad you can rename files and delete files on the device. I like this because it keeps me from having to constantly go between my computer and the device to manage my files. I find I'm much more likely to just dump stuff on my Iliad than I was on my 500 because once I read it I can just delete it off. The extra step of needing to go to my computer kept me from overloading my 500 as well as the lack of folder support.

I also fine that the screen contrast is much nicer on my Iliad than on my 500. It could just be my 500 is old and that is what is causing it but its about a year older than my Iliad and I haven't been using it in a few months. I tried to start using it again and I found that I didn't like the contrast, it seems faint to me because the Iliad is sharper. I don't know if anyone else has the Iliad and the 500 to confirm this it could just be something exclusive to my device.
"I also fine that the screen contrast is much nicer on my Iliad than on my 500"
I can't comment about that, as I've never seen the Sony 500.
But in direct comparison, I'd say that Sony 505 and iRex iLiad are even in contrast/display quality. Meaning: iRex iLiad (and iRex 1000S as well) by far (beats Sony 700 hands down) has the best quality if you'd like to have a touchscreen.
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #81
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

Thanks,

Kevin
Maybe not important to you. But I'd like to add a feature, I'm absolutely missing on all the Sony readers so far: Dictionary support.
It's solved on Kindle 2 and Kindle DX via its "on the fly" dictionary in the "footnote".
Or on all the Mobipocket devices (iRex iLiad, iRex 1000S, BeBook, Cybook) as per Mobipocket.
UPDATE: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...652#post536652
Just have been able to add multilingual dictionary English German.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-29-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #82
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
It's not just any dictionary on the Kindle 2 either - it's a darned good dictionary from Oxford University Press with 250,000 definitions even if it is aimed at our American friends.

The dictionary feature is such a huge convenience I'm surprised it doesn't come up more in discussions on which one should I buy.

I've always believed/hoped I had a really good vocabulary but the truth is we never stop learning and language never stops evolving so anything that facilitates our own learning and evolution is very welcome to me. I find that if I'm reading something I'd classify as literature there will always be a good few words that I'm either not sure of the exact meaning (eg in the context in which it is used) or are not in my vocabulary.

Last edited by mobelby; 07-15-2009 at 06:19 PM.
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #83
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Yes. I agree with you mobelby. We should continue learning our language even we can say that we are an expert in that field.

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #84
Duckrow
Duckrow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles 1 and 2
The two things that matter most to me are the screen and the dictionary. I would rather pay less and get a Sony but couldn't live with no dictionary. The iliad sounds great but is more than twice the price. Is it a much better screen than the Kindle 1 which I use at moment?
Duckrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #85
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckrow View Post
The two things that matter most to me are the screen and the dictionary. I would rather pay less and get a Sony but couldn't live with no dictionary. The iliad sounds great but is more than twice the price. Is it a much better screen than the Kindle 1 which I use at moment?
I haven't got a Kindle 1, so I'll compare to Kindle 2.

iRex iLiad:
Pros:
- Native PDF support. Via its touchscreen, you freely can zoom whatever area you want to. Simply mark the area and blow it to full screen.
- Touchscreen, which doesn't harm contrast and doesn't have any glare. I love scribbling in PDFs, for example playing Sudoku or Kakuro.
- Menu structure. You freely can use folders and subfolders. You even can add thumbnails or descriptions.
- OS. You can add comments to every single book ON THE FLY on the iLiad, without need of a PC. You even can change author's name or book title, again: Directly on the fly on iLiad.
- User defined dictionaries. Bilingual dictionaries of course are nice to have, over her in "old Europe". You can use various dictionaries at once, simply choose the one you'd like to use for a specific definition.
- In my opinion, best for PDF. In Sony 505, for example, I have to use reflow. Some praise it, I don't like it (changes in layout): On iRex iLiad, I simply zoom whatever area I'd like to full screen. However complex the document may be, I freely and easily can zoom into.
- "Perfect" screen size for me. Even A4 PDFs can be read and it's still highly mobile.
- No cover included, but a very convenient carrying bag.
Cons:
- No standby. There probably won't be any firmware update...
- When purchasing books, Mobipocket usually is about 15% more expensive than Amazon and has less books to offer.

Kindle 2:
Pros:
UPDATE: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...652#post536652
= Multilingual dictionary support.
- Amazon webshop. Cheapest and bigger than the others.
- Whispernet. Can't use it over here, but great concept anyway.
- "On the fly" dictionary. I don't have to "leave" the book I read and "enter" the dictionary. I can see the description in the "footnote" of the very same page.
- Very fast in turning pages.
- iPhone app. Reading on iPhone/iPod touch and Kindle in parallel without additional costs, brilliant business model.
Cons:
- In my opinion (sorry!) Kindle 1 is fugly. Kindle 2 and Kindle DX are okay, but I clearly favor Sony 505's design for example.
- I don't like .tpz and prefer .azw. I don't see the difference on Amazon's website and sometimes, by accident, purchase .tpz.
- Without the Amazon webshop in the background, I'd rank Kindle 2 midrange, similar to Cybook.
- No cover included, has to be purchased separately (quite annoying, when outside of the US).

Meaning:
iRex iLiad still is one of my favorites. Without Amazon in the background, Kindle only would be mediocre.
But given Amazon's webshop and the dictionary support, Kindle easily makes my top 3 as well.
If PDF is important for you, iRex would be my favorite.
For the screen, with the exception of Sony 700, I consider all the others more or less even.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-29-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #86
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
I guess the dictionary feature is a good feature, but, when I used to read books, I never took a dictionary with me and looked up words. So with the 505 , I don't miss the dictionary feature. But who knows, if I had it, I might use it. I hardly use it on my computer either, but I could. I guess it depends on type book you are reading. Now if I was learning a language , yeah, sure would be helpful. Or learning a new subject with NEW terms, medical for instance, yeah, medical dictionary would be helpful.

Love your reviewing of all your ereaders. Not many people can say they own all the ones you do. You are great resource person on this site. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #87
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
My sole reason for buying a Kindle was the Amazon bookstore. I had my PRS-505 for almost 10 months when the Oprah coupon came out and I ordered my K1 the last day of the coupon Oct 30th! I never use the dictionary. I really don't have a need for it and I usually turn on the wireless once a month so I could do without that too. I thought the K1 was ugly but it looked way better in person (no exaggeration) but I love the K2 (sold the K1 on Feb 9, after owning it for 3 months and 2 days to buy the K2).
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #88
Duckrow
Duckrow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles 1 and 2
I find it strange that more people don't mind about dictionaries. I often come across words I only half know the meaning of. Enervate for example. Sounds like it would be making you full of life but means the complete opposite. Things like that are great to look up so as to clear up misunderstandings straight away.
I've been reading ebooks since I had a Palm V and when I got the ereader Oxford Dictionary I quickly became used to being able to tap a word for its definition.
I love ebooks as I am mildly dyslexic so having large print and only a few words at a time means I don't reread the same line endlessly and the whole thing works better.
Touch screen lookup would be great but screen size doesn't matter so much. 6" eink screens are a great improvement on the Palm V. I am 10 years older now and appreciate the lessened eye strain.
Does the iliad support tapping on a word to access it in the dictionary?
Duckrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #89
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
When I was younger, yeah, I guess looking something up in dictionary was something I did. But over the years I guess I go by context, how the words apply to the flow of the thought. Don't know how to explain it, but most of the writers I read flow in a way I understand. Now if I read books from 2 centuries ago or scholarly stuff where the writer is referring to ancient myths and "puffing himself up" and acting God-like, yeah, I would need oxford dictionary. So I guess with the type of stuff I have read for years, I didn't use the dictionary, so I really don't miss it.

But that is not the point, the point is, the dictionary feature is a nice feature and I could see myself using it for learning new subjects and "reading some of those old puffy-type books of old".

Last edited by richman; 07-17-2009 at 01:52 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #90
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckrow View Post
I find it strange that more people don't mind about dictionaries. I often come across words I only half know the meaning of. Enervate for example. Sounds like it would be making you full of life but means the complete opposite. Things like that are great to look up so as to clear up misunderstandings straight away.
I've been reading ebooks since I had a Palm V and when I got the ereader Oxford Dictionary I quickly became used to being able to tap a word for its definition.
I love ebooks as I am mildly dyslexic so having large print and only a few words at a time means I don't reread the same line endlessly and the whole thing works better.
Touch screen lookup would be great but screen size doesn't matter so much. 6" eink screens are a great improvement on the Palm V. I am 10 years older now and appreciate the lessened eye strain.
Does the iliad support tapping on a word to access it in the dictionary?
"Does the iliad support tapping on a word to access it in the dictionary?"
Yes. You tap the word, iRex shows the various dictionaries, which contain the respective word. You choose a dictionary by tapping it, iRex opens it. You can go back to the overview of dictionaries or the book you've read.
LOVE the multi-dictionary support.
On Pocket PCs, I've used dictionaries very often. When not reading in English (native German) on a regular basis, my English get's a bit "rusty".

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-17-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test