Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Open Calibre to a specific library?

Is there a way I can force Calibre to open to a specific library that is *not* the last one it had open?

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before but the searches I've tried are apparently too broad.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
Is there a way I can force Calibre to open to a specific library that is *not* the last one it had open?

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before but the searches I've tried are apparently too broad.
Use the --with-library command line option: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/calibre.html
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Use the --with-library command line option: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/calibre.html
How do I use command line? It's not something I've ever done so I don't know where to even start with it.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
How do I use command line? It's not something I've ever done so I don't know where to even start with it.
Let me that for you. I don't know your OS.

Seriously, this is a basic OS specific task.
Every one is similar, but they have their own quirks setting them up as a permanent shortcut.
In Wx thru WXP days you created a PIF to add options to the start up of programs, then placed that file (or shortcut) in a handy place.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Let me that for you. I don't know your OS.

Seriously, this is a basic OS specific task.
Every one is similar, but they have their own quirks setting them up as a permanent shortcut.
In Wx thru WXP days you created a PIF to add options to the start up of programs, then placed that file (or shortcut) in a handy place.
Wow. Thank you for your sarcasm, which is neither appreciated or useful.

I clearly stated I've never used command line before and I didn't know where to start. And considering that the first thing that the page @mbovenka linked me to says is, "Launch the main calibre Graphical User Interface," forgive me for thinking it was something within Calibre itself.

And, okay, maybe it's a basic OS specific task for someone with a background in programming but for the average user? They don't have a clue that command line interface is really the same thing as a command prompt, never mind how to open one. I asked everyone in my office if they knew what command line interface was. No one had a clue, and three of them are under 25 and considered 'tech savvy'. One thought it was a character in the Tron movie. And, seriously, it took me three websites using the google search of "windows xp command line interface" before I found one that told me it was the same thing as a command prompt and how to get to it.

Frankly, all you needed to say was, "It's an OS specific task so without knowing your operating system it would be hard to point you in the right direction. Maybe trying a google search with your operating system and command line interface would be a good start." See. Simple. To the point and minus the sarcasm that makes you sound like a jerk.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@theducks

personally, I prefer giving links, like this one.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+the+command+line

@BookJunkieLI

The best place to start is always Google. If you haven't done that, why should people want to spend time pointing you to googled links?

Since you found a good description pretty fast, from the sound of it, I think sarcasm is somewhat justified.

Requiring you to follow three whole links is not exactly hard or long work. Nothing in this world will provide you with instantaneous no-effort information feeds directly into your comprehension.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-23-2014 at 03:46 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please read before asking questions on the internet: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Wow. Thank you for your sarcasm, which is neither appreciated or useful.

I clearly stated I've never used command line before and I didn't know where to start. And considering that the first thing that the page @mbovenka linked me to says is, "Launch the main calibre Graphical User Interface," forgive me for thinking it was something within Calibre itself.

And, okay, maybe it's a basic OS specific task for someone with a background in programming but for the average user? They don't have a clue that command line interface is really the same thing as a command prompt, never mind how to open one. I asked everyone in my office if they knew what command line interface was. No one had a clue, and three of them are under 25 and considered 'tech savvy'. One thought it was a character in the Tron movie. And, seriously, it took me three websites using the google search of "windows xp command line interface" before I found one that told me it was the same thing as a command prompt and how to get to it.

Frankly, all you needed to say was, "It's an OS specific task so without knowing your operating system it would be hard to point you in the right direction. Maybe trying a google search with your operating system and command line interface would be a good start." See. Simple. To the point and minus the sarcasm that makes you sound like a jerk.
I got your attention. As others pointed out, you failed to do any homework prior to posting.

CLI is a USER operation, as anyone that learned to use computers in the MSDOS/UNIX days.

Those are the same days where you did not need a College degree (or CNA) to get a job using a computer
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Since it's pretty clear neither of you thinks this behavior is in the least bit unacceptable this is my last response to this thread.

In my first post I stated
Quote:
the searches I've tried are apparently too broad
so, yes, I did, in fact, try to do some looking on my own for what I was looking for.

In my second post I stated,
Quote:
I don't know where to even start with it
. I did not say, do all the research and coding for me because I'm too stupid to figure it out. All @theducks had to do is say, It's a OS task, google it with your OS and you should find an answer. That's it. That's all he had to say.

I'll make sure to remember for the future the invisible sign on the door that says SRS HACKRZ ONLY

Last edited by BookJunkieLI; 06-24-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Clearly you didn't read that intro I linked to.

Your first question was an entirely acceptable request for direction; your second question was solved by googling the words "command line". Apparently, you start by googling the question?

Two different questions, one total failure to try.

Hackers love questions by non-techies, but attitude counts for a lot.

Instantaneous no-effort information feeds directly into your comprehension (bypassing the brain, eyes and fingers) do not exist; any request for such a thing is not appreciated. If a question can be answered by the first page of google search results, it can be assumed due diligence was not performed.

Question: what is the command line?
Answer: did you google "command line"?
Response: I am very upset at you for making me google something -- it took me three link clicks to find the answer. That's way too much effort, so you are a jerk for making me do it.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@BookJunkieLI - been a while since I used XP, but if you use the installed edition of calibre then I think this should work; if you're using the portable edition then you'd need to make some adjustments.

If you have a desktop shortcut to start calibre, add --with-library "<library path>" to the end of Properties->Shortcut->Target **

You can get the <library path> from Windows Explorer by opening the library folder and copying what's in the address bar. Make sure you wrap in it double quotes - so you should have something like this in Target

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe" --with-library "E:\CalibreData\StageLibrary"
Might be an idea to rename the shortcut to reflect the name of the library, eg in my example I would rename the shortcut from calibre.exe to StageLibrary; you can do that in Properties->General.

You could copy the shortcut, then change the Target and shortcut name to refer to a different library - you'd then have two shortcuts that opened different libraries.

If you have multiple logons (eg husband and wife) then you will have to take that into account. I don't use desktop shortcuts, so I'm not sure which Desktop folder calibre puts the shortcut... the one for the user that did the install, or the one for the All Users pseudo user.

** if you don't have a desktop shortcut then you will have to create one; right button drag Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe to the desktop, select Create shortcut here when you drop it.

Oh, you would probably want to stop future calibre installs creating a new 'calibre.exe' shortcut, you can do that by clicking the Advanced button in the Licence panel of install wizard - you should only need to that once.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-24-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: grammar
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am amazed at hoe many people have no clue at all how to use a command line. I think schools that teach computing should teach people ow to use a command line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #13
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Thanks for the info @BetterRed. I was going to say that this was a one off thing for me. I usually only use one library but I've been working on this big import project that I keep in a completely separate library for the time being. Setting up separate shortcuts for each library might not be a bad idea.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am amazed at hoe many people have no clue at all how to use a command line. I think schools that teach computing should teach people ow to use a command line.
Schools that teach general computing or IT/CIS computing? It's been many years since I graduated college with my English Lit degree and all they cared about was that we knew how to turn on a computer and how to use Office or it's equivalent.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most people most of the time do not need to know what the command line is. The ultimate goal of computing is to work so well that the command line is not needed (as an end user, certainly). Why is it such a vital need?

Just because you think so, doesn't make it true.