Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
correct mistaske re long text columns in book list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
... Do you create this using Preferences, Add your own Columns?
Yep - (see attachment 1)

Spoiler:
You cannot have Long Text 'columns' in the Book List this is incorrect

You can include custom long text columns in the book list, and you can edit also them from there, and of course you can display in Book Details and edit them in Edit Metadata

The Long Text editor has a tool to insert Hyperlinks (see attachment 2)

Getting a folder or file path as a URL in Windows can be a little bit tricky. They must start with "file:\\\", have space as %20, comma as %2C etc. I use the "Copy Internet Path" function of FileMenu Tools (a swiss army knife shell extension) to do it for me.

BR

ps : This may have some relevance - be aware its an 'old thread' that just got resurrected - audio books in calibre

br
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	97095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	97096  

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-26-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add ps
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
BetterRed thank you for your explanation and for the thread link.

Starting to make lotsa sense now!!!

BTW have you ever used Database type programs to record book/music/film/whatever type info?

I've just started to use Citavi (free version) and am quite impressed for my needs.

But I'm wondering if you've ever tried any and your experiences.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BetterRed thank you for your explanation and for the thread link.

Starting to make lotsa sense now!!!

BTW have you ever used Database type programs to record book/music/film/whatever type info?

I've just started to use Citavi (free version) and am quite impressed for my needs.

But I'm wondering if you've ever tried any and your experiences.
I have Quod Libet for Music - its OK. But more often than not I just point 1by1 at the album folder I want to listen to and click play. Quod Libet is something I often look at and ask - do I really need this? One day the answer will be - nuh, and I will remove it.

I've had a quick look at Citavi last year, I thought it was a 'knowledge" manager rather than a 'media' manager. Anyway, it was too formal for my taste, dare I say too Germanic. I was also put off by the price should I grow out of 'Free'

But I'm intrigued - how would one use Citavi to manage a video library?

I'm still playing (struggling) with trying to use Calbre as my video manager.

BR
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Citavi has many categories to identify as Projects - and it's versatility seems to cover all types of categories - including movies and music.

But - I only use it so far to track my non-fiction reading projects, which are numerous and really need to be organised and ordered, especially because of all the references and because a number of the books are ebooks.

My understanding of the 'free' version is that one can have up to 100 references (that is 'files' of any description, eg books, music etc) per project.

So, as many projects as you like, but just no more than 100 separate entries in that Project.

If one of my Projects ever get larger than 100 then I'll just start another project and split the entries according to whatever criteria I deem appropriate.

Here's the link, if you decide to download have a look at:

(http://citavi.com)

Reference (Green + sign, 2nd top row)

Dialogue box should appear

Movie and Music tabs are there.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-01-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Thanks Lynx-lynx

I downloaded it. Seems quite different to what I remember looking at before, which may have been Citavi 2. I was also looking at it in a totally different context.

I like the Category/Sub Category feature - this would allow me to associate things. Such as Madame Bovary references - Book Editions, Film Productions, Readings, Operas, Adaptations, Mini Series etc. The problem with my Supplementary scheme is that the movies, mini series etc, end up being subservient to a some arbitrary edition of an ePUB that I happen to have - which is not even the original!

The 100 reference limit still bugs me a bit, for Madame Bovary alone I could easily have 20-30. But the buy price is not as high as I first thought, they have a single user personal licence for less than half the commercial licence cost - which is what I was looking at earlier. It also handles Journals quite nicely... Hmmm

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-02-2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

BetterRed your needs are more convoluted than my current ones. I mainly only record book info, including Quotations from the various epubs.

But - I've just re-read the blurb on what Free means:

'Citavi Free is a starter edition and is ideal for testing small solo and team projects up to 100 references.'

I think my first reading was one of wishful thinking - I thought that any 1 project could have up to 100 entries.

Whereas I think that Citavi means that irrespective of the number of projects one has they can only make 100 entries.

Drat!!!!

Yeah, I know it's only $130.22 for the personal use fee, but heh, this is just a hobby and that kind of outlay really makes it a more serious consideration.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Lynx-lynx - I think you were right first time - its 100 references per project - just created two projects each with 100 references - its only if I add a 101st reference to a project that it complains.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Okay, I'm going the 'live chat' option when they come on-line (it's a Swiss company and so is the chat from what I gather).

I'll ask how many projects a free user can make.

I'll post back.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Okay, I'm going the 'live chat' option when they come on-line (it's a Swiss company and so is the chat from what I gather).

I'll ask how many projects a free user can make.

I'll post back.
FYI : Differences between Citavi Free, Pro, Team, and Reader

BR
Old 12-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #25
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I've had a response from Citavi re number of projects on Free version: unlimited!!

Woohoo!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I'd rather have a limited number of projects (3) with unlimited references. But I understand why it isn't that way, Catavi doesn't track projects beyond maintaining an MRU list.

Catavi can merge projects, so if managing multiple projects with Free became too onerous (because of only 100 references) one could raid the piggy bank and buy Pro.