Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
tonyt
Enthusiast
tonyt began at the beginning.

Device: none
NEWBIE HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Hi,
I am a complete beginner at ebooking. I hope someone out there will be able to help me.
I am UK based, use a Mac Power PC with Leopard 10.5.6. I am intending to use Caliber, the open source library manager, unless someone can suggest a better option.
I am looking at the CyBook or Sony readers. Again, any other alternatives?
My main questions are these:
1 If I purchase a legal epub or mobi format book I guess they will have DRM attached. Will I get a physical file I can save on my hard drive?
2 Will I be able to install them by 'dragging and dropping' on the Sony and CyBook? I have heard Sony tie you up to their website?
Answers to these will at least get me started. I am sure there will be more questions to follow!
Many thanks
Tony
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
1) Yes
2) Yes.

The Sony 'tie-in' is simply that to buy from the (US) Sony eBook Store, you need to use the Sony software. That's not an issue for us in the UK (unless we make special efforts) as the UK version of the software just links to Waterstone's web site as it's store (and the US Sony site doesn't accept UK credit cards anyway, if you wanted to use it, you'd have to source some credit vouchers for the store first.)

I just buy from other sites, either in a suitable unDRMmed format (take a bow, Baen/Websubscriptons), or in Lit or Mobipocket, then convert to a more suitable format using Calibre.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Calibre is definitely the way to go to organise your eBooks.

I'd recommend the CyBook. It's still slightly cheaper in the UK (£195 to £224), and it's noticeably lighter. Buy it from WH Smiths.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...-90010859.html

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6337796

Most "mainstream" publishers are still using DRM. Luckily there are ways to remove this from mobipocket ebooks.

For a Mac user, the Sony is a bit more inconvenient as it seems to require use of a Windows PC for some operations, like registering with the Sony Store.

Now to your questions :-)

1. Yes, you get to download an actual file. DRMed files will usually only work with the devices that were registered at the time of download. To use on a new device you'll have to re-download, unless you've stripped the DRM.

2. Both the CyBook and the Sony 505 connect via USB as mass storage devices. Copying new books to the device is drag & drop, or you can use Calibre's "send to device".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Hi,
I am a complete beginner at ebooking. I hope someone out there will be able to help me.
I am UK based, use a Mac Power PC with Leopard 10.5.6. I am intending to use Caliber, the open source library manager, unless someone can suggest a better option.
I am looking at the CyBook or Sony readers. Again, any other alternatives?
My main questions are these:
1 If I purchase a legal epub or mobi format book I guess they will have DRM attached. Will I get a physical file I can save on my hard drive?
2 Will I be able to install them by 'dragging and dropping' on the Sony and CyBook? I have heard Sony tie you up to their website?
Answers to these will at least get me started. I am sure there will be more questions to follow!
Many thanks
Tony
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
tonyt
Enthusiast

Many thanks!
Can you point me in the direction of stripping drm without getting into trouble?
Cheers
Tony
Old 03-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I concur with pdurrant. Calibre makes life easier with the MAC from an organisational point of view, not just with the cybook. However you can just drag and drop.

wrt your last item, have a look at the mobi forum and read through the de-drm section. There are a number of hints and pdurrant has written a very nice applescript that will make life easy once you acquire the file.

To find the file though, do a google or equivalent for phrases like dark and reverser after reading the mobi de drm forum
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
tonyt
Enthusiast

Many thanks again folks!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
It's not rocket science to remove the DRM from mobi titles but it's not easy to figure out either. In my humble opinion, most posts tend to start at square 6 instead of square 1 and it takes a lot of digging and head-scratching to figure out what to do.

In spite of this, I've been able to successfully use Mobidedrm on all but 2 of my DRMed mobi files. If you need help, feel free to contact me and I will send you details.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
plenty of good advice for you so far and i'll add my vote for calibre which is truly a brilliant application and makes life so much nicer for us ebook readers .

as for your choice of device, i strongly recommend you get a device which can read epub, the new industry standard format. read the first page of this thread to find out why epub is important. the sony devices already do natively, (as does the iphone / ipod touch, using the stanza app, and in fact any web browser), and bookeen has announced support for the cybook but not yet implemented it so if you decide on a cybook i would wait for that. other devices are also announcing epub support and should be implementing it in the coming weeks / months, so your choices are not limited to the sony or the cybook.

epub *can* easily be converted to other formats (especially now that the adobe drm has been cracked) including mobipocket, however converting from epub to mobipocket you'll end up with a somewhat inferior file in terms of layout and future-proofing, particularly if the book has any kind of special formatting. epub is overall a far better format than any other ebook format currently available.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I'm not sure if drm "epub" can be converted on the MAC yet. All the data I have seen (although python based) seems geared around Windows and I have no idea how to "mac-ify" them. However I am sure it will come.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
johanm
johanm began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (Hanlin v3) and iPod Touch
Alternative: BeBook (Hanlin v3).
johanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
1) Yes
2) Yes.

The Sony 'tie-in' is simply that to buy from the (US) Sony eBook Store, you need to use the Sony software.
Keep in mind, you can't use the Sony software, hence the Sony ebook store with a Mac.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
For a Mac user, the Sony is a bit more inconvenient [than the Cybook] as it seems to require use of a Windows PC for some operations, like registering with the Sony Store.
Who cares about registering with a store you can't use? I wouldn't hold that against the Sony. Heck, the Cybook can't register with the Sony store on Mac OR Windows, but we don't count that as a strike against!.

The general point is still valid though, since you need Windows to install the firmware updates (.exe files).
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 AM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
Who cares about registering with a store you can't use? I wouldn't hold that against the Sony. Heck, the Cybook can't register with the Sony store on Mac OR Windows, but we don't count that as a strike against!.

The general point is still valid though, since you need Windows to install the firmware updates (.exe files).
While I'd reiterate the point about the Windows-only Sony software being a non-issue - Tony's in the UK, so would be directed to the Waterstone's web store - the firmware update's not really a problem either, as it's not needed a stream of fixes - there's been one update, which added ePub support, so it's not as if he'd need to be switching to BootCamp every week, is it!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
- Tony's in the UK, so would be directed to the Waterstone's web store -
I also understand that you can buy from Waterstones right from the web site... you don't need to use the Sony software as you do with the US/Canada store.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote