Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Smile eBookwise now or Kindle/Sony later?

Hi! I'm new to the forum so apologies for any dumb questions. (And yeah, I know, "there are no dumb questions" - but you haven't heard mine yet, nyuk nyuk!)

Yesterday morning while riding the subway to work, I saw a woman next to me reading a book on what was apparently the Amazon Kindle. It looked so cool and I instantly felt "ebook reader lust"! However, when I got to work and checked out the price, my lust cooled off pretty fast!

I put the Kindle on my "wish list" and decided to look around to see if I could find a good used one, or maybe something just as good but cheaper. A lot of the Kindle reviews mentioned the Sony reader, so I looked at that, and it was definitely a little cheaper and sounded just as good.

However, it's still around $300, and since I'm determined to pay cash & not add any more to my bulging credit card, that's still a little too much.

Then someone else mentioned the "ebookwise" reader and I looked at that and thought, hey - that could work! I don't mind at all that it's a little heavier than the other devices. I don't mind that it's not hooked up to Amazon's vast bookstore. Though fictionwise's selection does leave something to be desired, there are still enough books there that I'd be happy to read. And $135 + shipping seems a LOT more reasonable price-wise.

I do, however, want to be sure, before I spend the $$, that it's not going to turn out to be a lemon, like some other cheapo electronic devices I've bought in the past, to my everlasting chagrin.

However, I also don't want to give in to the Kindle hype and realize later that I wayyyy overspent.

So any thoughts/comments/pros and cons/regrets, etc. on your ebookwise experiences will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The eBookwise is a great start to reading ebooks, the price is great. I say go for it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

duplicate post, sorry

Last edited by stoogeswoman; 02-12-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
stoogeswoman
Zealot

Thanks! 2 more questions that occurred to me:

How user-friendly is it as far as, when you get it in the mail and open the box? Can you use it right away or are there a lot of hoops to jump thru first?

Also, are there any hidden $$ charges I should know about - monthly fees, etc.? I don't mind paying for the reader and the books, but anything else I might encounter?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
Thanks! 2 more questions that occurred to me:

How user-friendly is it as far as, when you get it in the mail and open the box? Can you use it right away or are there a lot of hoops to jump thru first?
If the ebook is charged already, then you would need to:
  1. Register at www.ebookwise.com to setup your Online Bookshelf for purchased ebooks from ebookwise or fictionwise. But the best reason for you is that you get the free lookup dictionary when you do this! Look here for more startup help.
  2. Get and install the ETI usb driver so that you can use your computer to connect to the Online Bookshelf and later used by "transfer" software to load your Personal Content or .imp ebooks here. See IMP software for a complete list of programs available for you to use.
  3. (Optional) Get and install eBookwise/GEB Librarian ($$$) or Impserve (free) to organize and deliver your ebooks to your reader.

If not yet charged, a couple of hours of AC adapter charge should get you started!

Quote:
Also, are there any hidden $$ charges I should know about - monthly fees, etc.? I don't mind paying for the reader and the books, but anything else I might encounter?
None, after you have acquired it! I've had mine for over 4 years and only pay for new ebooks, when I feel the urge...

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-20-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: case sensitive wiki link now works!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
stoogeswoman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
None, after you have acquired it! I've had mine for over 4 years and only pay for new ebooks, when I feel the urge...
Thanks! and to all who gave me such good advice. As I posted over in my intro thread, I decided to go ahead & order it and give it a shot. Worst that could happen is I'll get tired of it in a few months - by which, perhaps I'll have saved enough $$ to get a Kindle or Sony!

So again! I'm definitely bookmarking this site as I'm sure it'll be invaluable when I hit the inevitable glitch.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Look on Ebay before you make your purchase. A Sony PRS 500 can be found for $100-125.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
See the following thread where you can order a refurbished Sony PRS-505 for less than $200. It's refurbished. But that should not be a problem.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38449
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
As far as I know there is no eBook reader out there that is a subscription. Everything is a pay as you go (e.g. eBooks, RSS feeds (kindle only), and newspaper delivery) so no hidden fees.

I have the PRS-505 and the eBookWise1150 (EBW1150). My experience is the EB1150 has the best form factor out today even though it is a much older device than the others. The contour of the reader and the rubber grips make it feel conformable in the hands and it is not heavy. The page orientation flips for righties and lefties. I also like the styles feature which makes the device easy to navigate and take notes/highlights if needed. All for only $100. It's a backlite device which is a double edge sword. It's great for night reading as you will not have to trouble yourself with finding a lamp. However it eats up more battery life and is not as clear as an eInk device in broad daylight.

The PRS-505 advantages are the screen. The resolution on the 505 is just much better than the EB1150. For reading you will not notice much of a differences but for charts and graphics you will see a differences. Also the portability of the 505 is just the best. It is small and easy to carry. It fits in my jean pocket or jacket pockets just fine and the battery life is great.

As for usability. I think the EBW1150 is easier to use once the book is on the devices. If you stick with buying books from "ebookwise.com" you will be fine downloading books will be easy.
However getting the books or documents that are not from eBookWise on the devices is a different story. I just might be the dumbest guy on this board but I just had a difficult time getting started with this device. The tools for this device are lacking compared to the PRS-505, calibre just makes the 505 soo easy to use. Once you get the tools setup on your PC however adding books form other sources is a snap. When you get there comeback to MR. The folks here are extremely helpful and patient.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 02-12-2009 at 03:01 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
stoogeswoman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainphart View Post
Look on Ebay before you make your purchase. A Sony PRS 500 can be found for $100-125.
Well, I already ordered it (see above), but thanks for the suggestion.

Call me overcautious but when it comes to something I've never bought or used before, I prefer to buy new. Once I get used to how ebooks work, maybe I'll be more adventurous in future purchases. (Also, since my husband has joined the eBay Deep Bitterness Society, it might not be a good idea for me to patronize it! )
Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
Well, I already ordered it (see above), but thanks for the suggestion.

Call me overcautious but when it comes to something I've never bought or used before, I prefer to buy new. Once I get used to how ebooks work, maybe I'll be more adventurous in future purchases. (Also, since my husband has joined the eBay Deep Bitterness Society, it might not be a good idea for me to patronize it! )
The ebookwise also has a great warranty should anything "go wrong".

I was going to add that, the ebookwise retains its value well, even used, and can easily be sold on ebay . Was that "bitterness" a result of buying or selling?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
stoogeswoman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
The ebookwise also has a great warranty should anything "go wrong".

I was going to add that, the ebookwise retains its value well, even used, and can easily be sold on ebay . Was that "bitterness" a result of buying or selling?
A little from column A, a little from column B.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I bought my son a EBW1150 for Xmas, he loves it. One of the things that sold me (beyond the price) was the user feedback on it. If you look on here they have an almost cult-like quality to them. They have their flaws, but overall they are quite nice gadgets. The ergonomics are really second to none, I was a bit jealous of that (Having a PRS-505 myself) AND the dictionary support. The eInk readers are great, and I don't regret having my 505, but as Zelda has pointed out before a great idea for the next gen reader would be a eBookwise with eInk but that same basic form factor.

Remember, in addition to the Fictionwise/eBookwise selection, MobileRead has a variety of free IMP ebooks as well. Hope you enjoy it.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
e they have an almost cult-like quality to them.
I'd like to nominate "Nick" as the "Grand Poobah" of the EBWise Cult!
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'd like to nominate "Nick" as the "Grand Poobah" of the EBWise Cult!
i'll second that. (i am in the cult, right ? )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote