Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Direct download readers

Happy Kindle 2 Global Edition owner.

The thing that probably convinced me more than any potential technological advantage was Amazon Whispernet. The ability to download a new book whether I'm in bed or on the bus is just perfect. Even scary, I've noticed that I'm spending much more money on books than my informal budget allows me to. I'm even considering closing down my cable subscription since I prefer reading to viewing.

However, this got me thinking; Are there other E-books that allow direct downloads? If so, are there other book sellers that offer this kind of service?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The ability to download a new book whether I'm in bed or on the bus is just perfect. Even scary, I've noticed that I'm spending much more money on books than my informal budget allows me to.
This is the whole purpose of this feature - to make money for the company, not for the buyer who uses it
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
However, this got me thinking; Are there other E-books that allow direct downloads? If so, are there other book sellers that offer this kind of service?
Depends on where one lives.
Besides Kindle, the B&N Nook and Sony Daily edition also offer direct connectivity to their proprietary storefronts. Other WiFi-based ereaders will be offering it Real.Soon.Now.

In areas where the Kindle supports browsing you can go to several DRM-free ebookstores to get content that is automatically forwarded to the Kindle's email account. One example is Baen.com's Webscription.net. Others exist.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-09-2010 at 03:45 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
This is the whole purpose of this feature - to make money for the company, not for the buyer who uses it
Guess my view was skewed. Spent $123.47 in three days. Someone, please stop me!!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Guess my view was skewed. Spent $123.47 in three days. Someone, please stop me!!
Hint: The Wireless can be switched off. You get double battery life, too.
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
You can buy and download books directly from/to the WIFI enabled Boox 60 and PocketBook 302 (among a few others ) so "Real.Soon.Now." is already here
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
With the PRS900, you can download google books - a lot of those are free !!!
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Of course, the others mentioned here cost $279 - $299 US.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Are any of those readers geaerd towards academic research reading? I assume they all have Bookmark and Search capabilites (including wild card searches), but what about citations?
As for the price, won't this begin to gravitate towards equilibrium?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes , yes(havent tried wildcard actually) and yes
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Serif
metempsychosis
Serif began at the beginning.

Device: number 9, number 9...
Quote:
Debit card? If the card isn't tied to online banking, of course. It works for me, sometimes.
Serif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As for the price, won't this begin to gravitate towards equilibrium?
Uh, no.
It might be off-topic here but ebook reader pricing, moving forward, is going to defined more by business model than by capability or component cost. This will lead to a fracturing of the marketplace into two camps (much as the cellphone marketplace is fractured into contract-based and unlocked contract-free phones).

The direct-download readers that are directly tied in to a large ebookstore (Amazon, Borders, possibly Kobo) can and (likely) will maintain *substantially* lower hardware prices because, as pointed out, their primary function is to serve as mobile storefronts; reading is secondary to selling. They can sell at (or close to) cost and rake in substantial profits via ebook sales. (As pointed out by the OP.) Especially now that the Price Fix Five are looking to abolish price competition in ebook sales and force large retailer margins in the industry. (30% of US$123 is $40 profit on a $189 reader; about 20% extra profit. In three days. And the OP is hardly unique.)

Unless the other vendors can establish an added (commision-based?) revenue stream for their "unlocked" readers, the odds are their products will have to sell based solely on features and quality and since the ebook reader is *definitely* price-sensitive (if not outright price-dependent) they're likely to end up with much lower volumes than the walled-garden readers, even the ones with porous gardens (like Sony and Nook).

It's early in the ebook game, but things are moving way faster than expected and the rules are changing so fast we're seeing products become obsolete before they hit the US market. (C.F. Samsung, Acer)

I don't think price equilibrium is possible at this time.
And the disparity is likely to grow bigger before any semblance of balance emerges; Amazon isn't done with Price drops. Not if the "Shasta" Kindle is real and there is a WiFi-only K3 on the way. If it is, we could be looking at a US$129 Kindle by the holidays.

Walled garden-direct download is a powerful business model.
Just ask Apple and Microsoft and (less so) Sony and Nintendo.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Depends on where one lives.
Besides Kindle, the B&N Nook and Sony Daily edition also offer direct connectivity to their proprietary storefronts. Other WiFi-based ereaders will be offering it Real.Soon.Now.

In areas where the Kindle supports browsing you can go to several DRM-free ebookstores to get content that is automatically forwarded to the Kindle's email account. One example is Baen.com's Webscription.net. Others exist.
...on BeBook Neo/Onyx Boox, you can download ADE content directly. Working flawlessly.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote