Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #76
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
This news made my day! I sold my Kindle a while ago and went to reading full-time on my iPhone. I'm so glad I can get my Kindle content on my iPhone now and take advantage of Amazon's great pricing for new releases.

I have no problems whatsoever reading on my iPhone and this app will prevent me from buying another Kindle in the future, unless they come out with one that cooks and cleans as well...
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #77
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
This news made my day! I sold my Kindle a while ago and went to reading full-time on my iPhone. I'm so glad I can get my Kindle content on my iPhone now and take advantage of Amazon's great pricing for new releases.

I have no problems whatsoever reading on my iPhone and this app will prevent me from buying another Kindle in the future, unless they come out with one that cooks and cleans as well...
If you no longer have a registered Kindle, will you still have access to the content beyond the samples?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It would be really stupid of Amazon to require you to also have to have a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #79
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
It would be really stupid of Amazon to require you to also have to have a Kindle
Agreed. I don't think you need a Kindle, just an iPhone or iPod touch and an Amazon user name and password (and I suspect almost everyone already has one). Amazon just expanded their potential ebook market by probably 4000%. Assuming the estimate of 500,000 Kindles was right and there are over 20 million iPhones/Touchs out there right now...

Last edited by CCDMan; 03-04-2009 at 12:57 PM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
eReader is now in trouble (IMHO). I don't see people purchasing eReader when they can now purchase from Amazon and if they later on decide to get a K2 they can keep the eBooks already purchased.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #81
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
As far as I can tell, iTunes is not in any way involved with the books. I suspect they are internal to the app and only accessible via wireless from Amazon.

The only way to "extract" them would probably be to hack the phone and app and even then you would very likely have to break the DRM as well. I cannot imagine Amazon (or the publishers) going along with anything that allowed the content to leave their control easily.
Yeah, but each approved app gets a sandbox and the Itunes backup makes a copy of your installed applications. So it's possible that the entire sandbox for kindle is copied over and the .prc files would be inside. But I'm not sure about that.

I remember hearing a few iphone updates ago that less application data is being copied over now so that the backup process wouldn't be so painfully slow.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #82
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eReader is now in trouble (IMHO). I don't see people purchasing eReader when they can now purchase from Amazon and if they later on decide to get a K2 they can keep the eBooks already purchased.
I agree, eReader is in trouble. I had heard that there would be eInk readers with eReader installed, and for their sake that better happen soon. Although, for my business (tried eInk, now back to LCD), I am more concerned that they make the deals they need to make with the publishers so they can actually compete on price.

Having said that, I just finished purchasing another three books from eReader. Being the cheap SOB that I am, I hate paying more than $6 for a book (I have, but only with rewards money). The books I buy have very little, if any price difference through Amazon, and until the Kindle app matures some (Boy, is it basic!), I will gladly pay a few cents extra to continue using the eReader and Stanza apps. Then again, I am becoming rather addicted to some of the Smashwords content, most of which is not even available on Amazon or eReader. We'll have to see how it develops.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #83
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Agreed. I don't think you need a Kindle, just an iPhone or iPod touch and an Amazon user name and password (and I suspect almost everyone already has one). Amazon just expanded their potential ebook market by probably 4000%. Assuming the estimate of 500,000 Kindles was right and there are over 20 million iPhones/Touchs out there right now...
Yep. And you can bet that a lot of the people who have iStuff and read a lot will now find the Kindle more attractive since they can sync with it so easily. I think this is a great way to introduce people to many of the nifty things about ebooks.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #84
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It would be really stupid of Amazon to require you to also have to have a Kindle.
That's been the status quo so far.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is, if the poster no longer has a registered Kindle, I don't think she will be able to access the books previously purchased for the Kindle. She my have to re-purchase those books. I wonder if she can try to access them and see if she can.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-04-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #85
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I like the idea of syncing my reading between my iPhone and my Sony reader. The iPhone is with me 24/7, unlike my reader. Too bad I don't own a Kindle! Adds a neat incentive.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #86
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That's been the status quo so far.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is, if the poster no longer has a registered Kindle, I don't think she will be able to access the books previously purchased for the Kindle. She my have to re-purchase those books. I wonder if she can try to access them see if she can.
I think you retain the rights to your purchased books in your account even if you don't have the Kindle any more.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #87
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think you retain the rights to your purchased books in your account even if you don't have the Kindle any more.
Are we sure about that since technically we don't "own" them.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #88
Alisa
Gadget Geek

I don't know if someone mentioned this and I missed it (long thread) but apparently you don't get search, dictionary look up or annotations with this app. That's sad. It would be nice to have some of my reference books on my phone and be able to search them.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #89
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
I just downloaded the app on my itouch and was able to quickly purchase one of the recent freebies as well...it will do until I can afford a kindle -- since I do also love my PRS-505
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #90
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know whether eReader is in trouble. But I suspect that any person and any store who relies heavily on DRM-locked Mobipocket is in trouble. Amazon is in the singular position of owning and licensing the DRM used by a considerable number of its e-book competitors. Not releasing an iPhone app that can read competitors' books may only be the first step.

http://www.teleread.org/2009/03/04/d...t-on-the-wall/
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle