Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #61
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just like listening takes practice, reading on a new device takes practice. I can't tell you how many people have little to no listening skills yet that was the dominant practice before 1945.

Most studies are poorly designed, including medical ones, and really show nothing of any importance.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #62
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
It doesn't strike me as a scientific study. Fifty people isn't a very large sample and I don't understand the rational of breaking them into two groups of 25. Why not have two stories and two series of tests and then have all participants read and test on paper and then all read and test on eink? I would expect that to be a more logical methodology and reproducible for scientific validation.
Because then you wouldn't know if the difference was related to differences in the texts, and you obviously couldn't use the same text twice.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #63
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieCat View Post
Exactly. 28 pages is a drop in the bucket. Transitioning from solely reading pbooks to being totally comfortable with my ereaders was a process that took me years to accomplish.
I also noticed that it took quite a long time to really fully adjust to reading e-books in a way that felt as natural and comfortable as I was used to with reading printed books.

I read my first e-book on a Palm m105... and it was awkward. Read Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern on my Toshiba Pocket PC and it was... OK.

But these days, I just grab an e-reader or a tablet and start reading. And it feels completely normal.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #64
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I see this comment a lot and I think it is interesting. My reading frequency really hasn't changed. But instead of having paperbacks and hardcover books littered all over my apartment and in my bag... I have a Kindle and tablets laying all over the place or in my bag!
For me it was the ease of acquiring and transporting books that made it go from "this is something I'd enjoy doing" to "this is something that I do all of the time".
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #65
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I adjusted pretty quickly. Within an hour anyway.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #66
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I adjusted pretty quickly. Within an hour anyway.
Yeah, me too. Figure out how to turn pages, and that's about it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #67
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I see this comment a lot and I think it is interesting. My reading frequency really hasn't changed. But instead of having paperbacks and hardcover books littered all over my apartment and in my bag... I have a Kindle and tablets laying all over the place or in my bag!
I also started reading more once I got my first tablet. It's a lot easier for me to hold (paperbacks aren't bad, but hardbacks are annoying as hell) and lighter than most books. I also use my NookHD+ for reading manga, and I can plow through a ton of that in no time. Including manga volumes I've probably read double in the past year than the previous one. (Got the NookHD+ last September, thus the jump.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Because "paper speaks to our emotions."

Whatever that--and other silly-sounding (and unscientific) soundbites littered throughout these articles--means.
Well I do kinda like that paper small you get from old books, but if I'm missing that I'll just dig a box of books out of my storage shed and sniff it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieCat View Post
Exactly. 28 pages is a drop in the bucket. Transitioning from solely reading pbooks to being totally comfortable with my ereaders was a process that took me years to accomplish.
Didn't take me long at all, just figured out the interface and I was off and running. But I'm very, very comfortable with technology and always have been, so I don't think I'm the norm.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #68
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Because then you wouldn't know if the difference was related to differences in the texts, and you obviously couldn't use the same text twice.
Not sure what the difference in the texts would have to do with it. To be clear what I meant was you would do the following:
1) 25% of the users would read Story A on paper and then Story B on e-ink
2) 25% of the users would read Story A on e-ink and then Story B on paper
3) 25% of the users would read Story B on paper and then Story A on e-ink
4) 25% of the users would read Story B on e-ink and then Story A on paper

All readers should already be familiar with reading on e-ink technology to remove the distraction of a new technology. If the goal is to determine if you retain more information on paper or e-ink then that would be a much more logical approach. With the approach that was taken there are a lot more variables and with such a small sample size the results are meaningless.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #69
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Of course there is the varying absorbability of the test subjects.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #70
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Of course there is the varying absorbability of the test subjects.
And the fact that not everyone likes to read the same thing no matter what the medium. A book you enjoy and can't put down til you finish it at 2 a.m. might take me a week or longer to slog through (if I even finish it at all) because for what ever reason the story just fails to grab me like it does you.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #71
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I absorb more on Kindle. Only if I'm researching I struggle to remember in which book was that information.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #72
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
Well I do kinda like that paper small you get from old books, but if I'm missing that I'll just dig a box of books out of my storage shed and sniff it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #73
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
@eschwartz

I go for the "Eau, You have cats" Smell of Books myself but have found a cheap substitute is to just get one of our furry critters to pee on the back of my ereader .

(PS: You been away completing teshuva ?)
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 AM   #74
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, it is certainly true that paper books absorb more water than electronic books.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #75
mandy314
Connoisseur
mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw1
Cats again, isn't it? I really do love all the discussions here!
Okay - I'm doing the odd hardcopy of some documents for "closer reading". Earns me raised eyebrows from younger colleagues my shuffling around the pages and taking handwritten (sic!) notes. I still remember reading at a monitor not being normal and nearly all pdfs received being sent to the printer. So perhaps all a matter of "being used to" and time.
The question if text reception (however this one is put into measurable terms) is depandent on medium (hardcover, pocketbook, etext at large screens, dedicated ereaders, tablets, smartphones etc) is a valid one imho. The study discussed is well documented, can be re-run, improved on in various aspects. So there should be "scientific" progress in identifying differences between media used for reading (I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for conclusive results though).
But every scientist should know that there is a big step to take from finding differences and judging them in terms of better/worse. Looking at the study I think the authors should have been more cautious with their conclusions and interpretation. Not that all caution would hinder the press picking up the results under the headline "Kindle users do not understand what they are reading - study shows".
We all are a good deal wary about all things which have are seem to have a negative slant on ebooks/ereaders - some posters here are quite vocal on this one. I share the sentiment as I see us in the middle of missing the chance of open up the whole world of literature for new generations with etexts - giving a choice in times of www-snippets of entertainment, "information", opinions etc. For my post-WWII generation pocketbooks did that - in my case even more than public libraries did. Nowadays all the major players making the big decisions have clearly a different agenda - money and power being the operational terms.
mandy314 is offline   Reply With Quote