Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Not detecting PRS-600 under XP SP3

I have been using Calibre for many many years with my PRS-500. I got a shiny new PRS-600 and its not being detected while my PRS-500 is. The new device works perfectly with Sony reader software on another computer, I do not have the reader software on this computer. This computer does popup the two device drives.

I have the latest Calibre and firmware for the PRS-600. I have also rebooted several times the computer and reader.

Here is the debug information with it unplugged:

Version: 0.7.23
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid10de&pid0067&rev00a3',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid10de&pid0067&rev00a3']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 69, in __call__
DriveError: No removable drives found
Drives detected:
Available plugins: ALEX ANDROID AVANT AZBOOKA BLACKBERRY BOOQ BOOX COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK
E52 E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE ELONEX ESLICK
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA ITUNES JETBOOK
JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KOBO KOGAN MENTOR MIBUK N516
N770 N810 NEWSMY NOOK NUUT2 PALMPRE PDNOVEL PDNOVEL_KOBO POCKETBOOK301
POCKETBOOK360 PRS505 README S60 SHINEBOOK SNE SOVOS SPECTRA SWEEX
TECLAST_K3 THEBOOK VELOCITYMICRO

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None

Here is the debug with it plugged in:

USB devices on system:
u'usb\\root_hub&vid10de&pid0067&rev00a3',
u'usb\\vid_054c&pid_031e&rev_031a']
Drives detected:
(0) E:\ ~ USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-600&REV_1.00\0800461000C2AFF9&0
(3) H:\ ~ USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-600_LAUNCHER&REV_1.00\0800461000C2AFF9&3
Available plugins: ALEX ANDROID AVANT AZBOOKA BLACKBERRY BOOQ BOOX COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK

Looking for devices...

THANKS!
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that debug output makes no sense. As far as I can tell, it should be impossible...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
vinniet
Connoisseur

Please explain what does make sense. This is the output with it not plugged in and plugged in. Is there some other test you want me to run?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As per that debug output your device is presenting the correct info to the OS but it is not matching the driver plugin, which is enabled, I'm at a loss as to why
Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
vinniet
Connoisseur

What should I try? Should I uninstall Calibre, delete directory and reinstall? Problem is I have 1K books and do not want to mess up the database.
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

uninstalling oesn't affect your library.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
vinniet
Connoisseur

Think it is worth a shot? I have had Calibre installed for a very long time with constant updates to the software. Could something messed that up?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried a shutdown since the problem?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

i seriosuly doubt re-installing will help. but it can't hurt to try.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
vinniet
Connoisseur

Yes did a full shutdown of computer and reader.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
vinniet
Connoisseur

I did the install and reinstall and its the same. Is there anything else you can think of? I would like to help debug this if I know more what the problem is. I see that it find the two PRS-600 drives, what is the problem?

Below is the debug with it plugged in:

USB devices on system:
u'usb\\root_hub&vid10de&pid0067&rev00a3',
u'usb\\vid_054c&pid_031e&rev_031a']
Drives detected:
(0) E:\ ~ USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-600&REV_1.00\0800461000C2AFF9&0
(3) H:\ ~ USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-600_LAUNCHER&REV_1.00\0800461000C2AFF9&3

Looking for devices...

Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Random thought: make sure that the drive E: (the device's main memory) is not also allocated to a network drive that may or may not be connected. My concern is the wide split between the memory drive and the launcher drive. They are normally next to each other.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the only thig I can think of is you have an outdated version of prs505/driver.py in your installation folder. After uninstalling make sure you delete the installation folder using windows explorer to mke sure it is cleaned out.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
vinniet
Connoisseur

Hello ... after I uninstalled the software the calibre directory was removed. Is that what you mean by installation folder? Is there someplace else the driver was installed. I remember with the PRS-500 you needed to run a bat file to install the driver.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Ok installed it on another computer, that had the Sony library software and it worked. Do you need to have the software installed? I read in another post where you said you didn't.

Also went through the registry and there are lots of references to sony reader.

Also deleted the entries in device manager when the device is plugged in and rebooted and had them redetected, still did not work.

Last edited by vinniet; 10-12-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No it doesn't need the software. There's something weird with your machine. Unfortunately, not being a windows expert I can't really help you find out what it is.