Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2023, 06:30 PM   #1
Konikoko
Konikoko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Trying to access usage logs

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in examining the data Kobo logs from users, especially usage information and reading habits. After exploring my Kobo e-reader, I've noticed that every time I open one of my e-books (purchased from the Kobo store), the device attempts to connect to the following address: https://readingservices.kobo.com

All the traffic is encrypted (https). Is there a way to view the data that gets transmitted? Perhaps by checking for log files on the device itself?

I considered using mitmproxy to inspect the traffic, though I'm unsure about how to install the self-signed CA on the device. I couldn't find any certificates, but there is a .pem file (public key) named "logs-public" in the /usr/local/Kobo/ folder.

I came across this thread where someone tried to intercept Kobo's communication:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=228804
but that's about all I found.

If anyone can help me or direct me on how to install a self-signed CA, I would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!
Konikoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:18 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Another approach would be to study the KoboReader.sqlite file. Presumably, any data that Kobo is collecting about your reading habits will be stored there before being sent to the server, so you can see everything that's being tracked without having to packet log the communication.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2023, 06:45 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It might be for Kobo plus borrowed ebooks?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 05:07 PM   #4
Konikoko
Konikoko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It might be for Kobo plus borrowed ebooks?
It seems to happen with all Kobo ebooks, but I'm not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Another approach would be to study the KoboReader.sqlite file. Presumably, any data that Kobo is collecting about your reading habits will be stored there before being sent to the server, so you can see everything that's being tracked without having to packet log the communication.
Thanks for the tip about the sqlite file. I didn't know that!

I still tried the mitm-proxy approach (I was already halfway through), but as I suspected, Kobo doesn't trust the network and disconnects from the proxy hotspot after giving a couple of warnings.

I believe it's still possible, but I'm uncertain about the method. I'll continue tinkering with it for the learning experience. Any input is appreciated
Konikoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 05:10 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I suspect you will find that much of the personal information is stored in the BookReader.sqlite file which is encrypted.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2023, 06:05 PM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I suspect you will find that much of the personal information is stored in the BookReader.sqlite file which is encrypted.
That's definitely not the case for sideloaded books at least, since my BookReader.sqlite file's mtime is from when I initialised the device, and it hasn't been written to since.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clara hd, kobo, mitm, privacy, sniffing