Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Trester
Trester began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Too few files download

Sorry if this is a re-post, but none of my searches turned up anything on this subject. I have a PRS-300 that I typically drag/drop books into using Windows explorer. My default book format is RTF, I want to stick with this. The RTF files average 500k, with none of the files exceeding 1.5Mb. In the advanced menu of the ereader, I have completed the operation "Format Internal Memory". I have also "reset" the ereader.

In the past I have been able to download up to 120 books, before I got an error message. I am currently trying to download 112 files (88.3Mb). Again it is stopping at about 50 books with the error message "The directory or file can not be created". I tried using Calibre and it also stops at about 50 files.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Trester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Does it stop around the same point each time... if so then may be a damaged/corrupt file in books...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Trester

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Does it stop around the same point each time... if so then may be a damaged/corrupt file in books...
Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to be the problem. I started out by selecting about 200 files in Windows Explorer to copy to the reader. About 7-8 times I tried to copy the files to the reader. Each time after copying 43-49 files an error would occur. Each time I would de-select the file that reported the error, delete the files on the reader and try the copy again.

Since the errors occurred after approx the same number of files, is it possible that the storage on the PRS-300 is bad?

As background, I have edited all of the files in WORD so the number of potentially corrupt files should be small. Also, I have imported all of the files into Calibre so that I could update the Metafile data, and then saved those files to disk.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Could be a memory fault... when you got a message previously after 120 files, what was the message... also frequently the file, an error is reported on, isn't the faulty file but it's actually the previous one loaded...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Trester

I created a new sub-directory on the PRS-300 and copied all of the files into the sub-directory. Don't know why, but it now works fine.

I know that there is a limit on the number and total size of files that you can copy to the root directory, but the files I tried to copy wasn't even close. Go figure.
Advert