Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
Reading in the sun... FAIL

So at lunch pretty much every day I take my Aura HD out to read in the sun while I eat (gotta get that Vitamin D that I don't get from my computer screens at my desk...) and every time I start flipping pages if there is sun shining directly on the screen... NOTHING. No page turns, the power button stops working, backlight button stops working, it basically brings the reader to a complete standstill for up to 10 minutes. A pinhole reset will usually fix it, but really? Isn't it a selling point that "e-ink is the only way to read in direct sunlight"?

Can anyone else repro this? It's super frustrating, and I really want to know if this is just my unit or a glitch with the IR screens on all the Auras.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
No idea. I read in direct sun on the Aura a few times a week, never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
So at lunch pretty much every day I take my Aura HD out to read in the sun while I eat (gotta get that Vitamin D that I don't get from my computer screens at my desk...) and every time I start flipping pages if there is sun shining directly on the screen... NOTHING. No page turns, the power button stops working, backlight button stops working, it basically brings the reader to a complete standstill for up to 10 minutes. A pinhole reset will usually fix it, but really? Isn't it a selling point that "e-ink is the only way to read in direct sunlight"?

Can anyone else repro this? It's super frustrating, and I really want to know if this is just my unit or a glitch with the IR screens on all the Auras.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I know I'm in the UK but I've been reading on my Aura in sunshine too with no problems.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
So are you saying that the Aura "fails" miserably when you're out in the sun, or do you encounter the same issues when you're indoors?

Anyhow, my Aura has no unhappy disposition towards the sun. I'm thinking maybe try a factory reset instead of just basically restarting it with the pinhole and if it still continues go ahead and return it.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I don't get lucky enough to have any really long periods of sunshine where we are but have managed to have my Aura out a couple of times during sunny spells and have experienced absolutely no problems with it. It sounds like a fault with your particular Aura.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

The only time I've seen an issue reading in sunlight is with the touch screen when I have the sun hitting the screen at enough of an angle that it's hitting the IR sensors. If I tilt the screen so the sun does not hit the IR sensors, all seems to work fine. The light and power buttons are not affected.

From your comment that the light and power button are not working, it sounds as if you are having an issue other than the IR sensors. What is the temperature like where you are reading? Have you tried a factory reset? What firmware revision are you on? Basically, I'm wondering about a glitch in the running software.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
so the touch system on the aura hd is ir based just like sony's?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
so the touch system on the aura hd is ir based just like sony's?
Yes it is.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Thoreau, if you can send some sun over here I'd gladly try that for you (fair trade if you ask me)
Seriously, when we'll get enough sun I'll try (supposedly not before next week).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
Thank you for the replies. It makes me feel better that this is isolated to just my reader. I'll try the full factory reset on it tonight. Is the process for that just a long hold of the pinhole reset button?

PS: we have nothing but sunshine here in Colorado, so this is a big deal for me .
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Sun and smoke of late anyway, hope you are not in one of the areas affected by the fires.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I'll try the full factory reset on it tonight. Is the process for that just a long hold of the pinhole reset button?
No. Since your device is operational, go into the settings and under account (I think - don't have mine in front of me) and it will give you the factory reset option. That's easiest option for you. Realize you'll lose stats/reading life/annotations/books.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thank you for the replies. It makes me feel better that this is isolated to just my reader. I'll try the full factory reset on it tonight. Is the process for that just a long hold of the pinhole reset button?

PS: we have nothing but sunshine here in Colorado, so this is a big deal for me .
There are a couple of ways to do factory reset.

Since your unit is working, just use the factory reset under the Settings => Device Information => Reset Device/Factory reset.

The other options come in when your Kobo is hung up. Then you get the fun of holding the power switch till the unit turns off (if you can't see the screen, 15 to 20 seconds in the off position works). Then hold the light switch and turn the ereader back on. Continue holding the light switch until the LED starts to disco (quickly flashing). The screen show should show that it is resetting. The alternative here is to turn the ereader off, hold the light button and use the pin hole reset. Same hold the light button till the LED discos.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-18-2013 at 07:05 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote