Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
dfad1469
dfad1469 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre 7.36 Author Fields in Tag Browser is weird

Hi,

I have just upgraded to 7.36 and the Author Fields in the Tag Browser have changed. Instead of list all of the authors, now it builds a sub-category for each author. The sub category is the the initial of the author's first name. This makes a weird list. It looks like this:

>Authors
>D[1]
>R[1]
>R[1]
>K[1]

It goes on like this for all of my authors. It think this might be a bug in 7.36. I have tried messing with the tweaks, and I can get the fields in the sub-category to work off of author_sort or author, but it does not affect sub category problem I am seeing. Is there a stale file hanging around? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
dfad1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
kevinrs
Enthusiast
kevinrs began at the beginning.

Device: nook
ok, the subcat labels are apparently from the first author in the subcat's first name. I expected that it would be 1 sub per author's last initial, but I've got 9 for A authors alone.

Last edited by kevinrs; 01-01-2011 at 04:22 PM.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can turn off the subcategory feature by setting the tweak
Code:
categories_collapse_more_than = 0
You can display the authors in the tags browser in author_sort order using the tweak
Code:
categories_use_field_for_author_name = 'author_sort'
The separation (sub-categorization) is done using author sort, and I agree that the displayed letter should also be from the author sort. I use LN, FN author name order and didn't see the problem as I built this feature. I will change it.

If you wish, you can switch to the 'partition' mode and get names that make more sense. Use the tweaks
Code:
categories_collapse_model = 'partition'
categories_collapsed_name_template = '{first.sort:shorten(4,'',0)} - {last.sort:shorten(4,'',0)}'

Last edited by chaley; 01-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I turned it off (and I was going YES!... until... I have 400 Author names)
I expected it to collapse All "A" authors into 1 Level

What I saw was "L" (inside was "Lynn Abbey", the first author old style).

Even more bizarre appearing, was when I switched the browser to sort by popularity
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
In the tweaks section I have added

categories_collapse_more_than = 20
categories_collapsed_name_template = '{first.sort:} - {last.sort:}'
categories_use_field_for_author_name = 'author_sort'

This works best for me.

Personally, having to get to grips with the tweaks to bring order back is a disappointment and used up time I really didn't have spare. It is really annoying to have to get to grips with RegEx and tweaks like this. I prefer to see programs with new modes like this to default to no change at upgrade without the tweak, not a tweak required to tame the changes made by the upgrade. sorry, miffed here.

Last edited by oldbwl; 01-01-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: changed first.name to first.sort, now I know it can be done
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I turned it off (and I was going YES!... until... I have 400 Author names)
I expected it to collapse All "A" authors into 1 Level

What I saw was "L" (inside was "Lynn Abbey", the first author old style).

Even more bizarre appearing, was when I switched the browser to sort by popularity
If you continue to see subcategories, then either you didn't turn it off or your installation is behaving different from mine.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
hijack
hijack doesn't litterhijack doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Man, this is a heck of a way to have to make my first post here.
Untill I just downloaded update 0.7.36, I was happy and already have over 400 books in my data base. Now, they mess it all up with the [1] catagory stuff.
My main problem is I don't know near enough yet to understand what you are talking about with the "tweaking" instructions.
My temporary (I hope) solution is, I'm going back to the .35 version as soon as I can find out how to get it, and I ain't budging from that spot until I can read here they removed, or made the way to get rid of it a lot easier.

Oh Yes, I do like the program, and I will be donating more, but I am very disapointed in this last development.

Jack
hijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Apologies to all for causing difficulties.

@oldbwl: you apparently decided that the changes were worth something, as you didn't simply turn them off.

@hijack: you can get the old versions of calibre at sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/
Old 01-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you continue to see subcategories, then either you didn't turn it off or your installation is behaving different from mine.
that was before I turned it OFF.

BTW, My Authors are FN LN and Library sort.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
dfad1469
dfad1469 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks. All of these suggestions worked. Looking forward to this being fixed in 7.36
dfad1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome hijack to Mobileread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hijack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I use LN, FN author name order and didn't see the problem as I built this feature. I will change it.
My temporary (I hope) solution
I guess you didn't notice the creator of this update saying he didn't see the problem in testing and will fix it.

You can get older versions of calibre on Sourceforge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfad1469 View Post
Thanks. All of these suggestions worked. Looking forward to this being fixed in 7.36
This is 0.7.36, looking for the fix in the next release.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-01-2011 at 07:59 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@oldbwl and @hijack,

I'm sure we're all sorry to hear of your "disappointment" and the "waste of your valuable time" incurred by updating to the new version of calibre.

However, I would have thought that anyone with a modicum of common sense would know that upgrading software within a couple of hours of release is likely to bite you in the rear-end every now and then. If you wish to avoid the pain, wait a few days, watch the forum and make sure there aren't any serious gremlins before you take the plunge.

Software development of something as complex as calibre is a tricky business. We get new features and bug fixes pretty much every week, free, gratis and for nothing. I only wish all my paid-for software worked this well.

If you have a problem, it usually suffices to state the problem rationally without moaning and whingeing. If it's a regression the fix normally arrives in a week or sometimes less.

As someone once said "Anyone who has never made a mistake has probably never made anything."

Still, look on the bright side, at least now you've heard of Tweaks.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #13
cynthia399
cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Astak Mentor
I really like this feature, the only thing that would make it better is if clicking the headers for each section would show all the books under that section in file listing.
cynthia399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
I like this feature too!

categories_collapsed_name_template = '{first.sort:shorten(10,'',0)} - {last.sort::shorten(10,'',0)}'

I tweaked the partition name lengths to 10 (from 4), which i think works well because you can see most words or names in full at that length.

imo - , it would be nice to be able to switch modes with a right click sub-menu on the section heading. So could switch between old view and partition view without going to tweaks (my 2cents)

nice job on all the other improvements in this version !!!
garcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
Personally, having to get to grips with the tweaks to bring order back is a disappointment and used up time I really didn't have spare.
If you don't have time to spare then you shouldn't grab every update within hours of its release. Calibre is a work in progress, read the change log there are New features and bug fixes every release.

Right off the bat the change log says,

Quote:
Release: 0.7.36 [01 Jan, 2010]

New Features
  • Tag browser: Add subcategories and search When a category has many items, it will be automatically split up. Also add a search to quickly find an item in the Tag Browser. The sub categories can be controlled via preferences->Tweaks. Also add a button to collapse all categories
This lets anyone know that you may have to use the tweaks section after this release to adjust this area.

Quote:
It is really annoying to have to get to grips with RegEx and tweaks like this.
If a error in sort didn't occur (which Chaley has said will be corrected in the next release) I don't see where any tweaks would be needed for the common user. Having lists collapse to a single alphabet letter is intuitive and very common.

Quote:
I prefer to see programs with new modes like this to default to no change at upgrade without the tweak, not a tweak required to tame the changes made by the upgrade. sorry, miffed here.
New Mode? Collapsing a list to a single alphabet letter isn't exactly new. When a better way to present information to the average user is developed then calibre will implement it. If this wasn't the case we would all still be using command line tools or the GUI from 0.4 or 0.5.

If you continue to upgrade willy-nilly without reviewing the change log then you're really giving up the right to be miffed in public. After all, the decision to upgrade in the face of possible tweaks was up to you.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-01-2011 at 10:48 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote