Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony with larger-screen e-reader this year, no color before 2010

Remember PVI, the company that produces most of the E Ink displays we've seen so far, including the latest display of the Kindle DX? Luckily for us, PVI chairman Scott Liu got a very talkative nature. A reporter from Digitimes heard him saying that PVI,

"will push back the launch of color electrophoretic displays (EPDs) to 2010, as there are still barriers to achieving satisfying results,"

and that

"Sony is also expected to introduce larger e-book readers later this year to compete for market share."

(emphasis mine)

We have heard stories of color E Ink so many times before that we're not surprised if there'll be further delays before market introduction. On the other hand, the news about Sony should kindle a light in the heart of every Sony fan (and of everyone else who is unable or unwilling to buy a Kindle DX).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that's great news for business people and students, especially ! so many people need bigger displays for their documents that if sony manages to find a decent price for this it should be a huge (ar ar ar) winner. i hope we'll have more concrete news of this device soon...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm really interested in seeing how Sony makes this device. Methinks it'll be a lot cleaner than the Kindle DX. I'll expect a touch screen with good note-taking ability from them.

They better still not drop the 505 though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm really interested in seeing how Sony makes this device. Methinks it'll be a lot cleaner than the Kindle DX. I'll expect a touch screen with good note-taking ability from them.
i'd expect that too. it could be an excellent device for students. especially if they add DICTIONARY SUPPORT (come on, sony !!) !!

Quote:
They better still not drop the 505 though.
since they only recently started selling that one in europe i'd be really suprised if they dropped it now, particularly as it supports all the same formats as the 700 and is less expensive and therefore more attractive to a lot of people. but, with a little luck, maybe they'll lower the prices a bit on the 505 and 700. that would help a lot.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'd expect that too. it could be an excellent device for students. especially if they add DICTIONARY SUPPORT (come on, sony !!) !!

since they only recently started selling that one in europe i'd be really suprised if they dropped it now, particularly as it supports all the same formats as the 700 and is less expensive and therefore more attractive to a lot of people. but, with a little luck, maybe they'll lower the prices a bit on the 505 and 700. that would help a lot.
While we are talking about dictionary support. Do you think the new K DX will support dictionaries on the PDF format?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Very tantalizing. Hope they seriously try to incorporate some of the things we've all wanted.

The first word that comes to mind . . . Folders - Folders - Folders - real ones this time.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:

Actually, I was reading an interesting article about how a more expensive product will help sell a cheaper one (it was discussing the Kindle), so I wonder if that strategy is working for them.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
While we are talking about dictionary support. Do you think the new K DX will support dictionaries on the PDF format?

Dale
hm, interesting question... anybody heard anything about that ? i know the user's guide is floating around here somewhere, maybe it could enlighten us (now where was that link...). as long as the pdf is a text pdf it shouldn't really be a problem, i would think...

Quote:
Actually, I was reading an interesting article about how a more expensive product will help sell a cheaper one (it was discussing the Kindle), so I wonder if that strategy is working for them.
ha, that does make sense actually... but i still hope they'll lower prices. that's currently the biggest obstacle i would say. all my friends love the idea of a liseuse but when i tell them the price it's like a cold shower.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ha, that does make sense actually... but i still hope they'll lower prices. that's currently the biggest obstacle i would say. all my friends love the idea of a liseuse but when i tell them the price it's like a cold shower.
I think a lot of it is the eink screen. Do we know if it's dropping in price? They could sell it at a lower margin, but I think they're aware that a lot of people could get their books elsewhere, so they lose that reoccuring revenue. Ahh tricky things.

Then again, I buy enough books from Sony single handedly to keep them running for a while
Old 05-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I think a lot of it is the eink screen. Do we know if it's dropping in price? They could sell it at a lower margin, but I think they're aware that a lot of people could get their books elsewhere, so they lose that reoccuring revenue. Ahh tricky things.

Then again, I buy enough books from Sony single handedly to keep them running for a while
i'm pretty sure those screens cost a lot less than some might (want us to) think they cost.

and, as the production rates increase, the costs will decrease, so they will end up costing even less than they currently do.

as for the recurring revenue of books... they seem to be making a big effort there too, especially with the google partnership (who knows where that could lead...) and the huge increases in their offer lately. if they would just start selling epub format i might even buy from them myself.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Excellent news... I just hope that it won't be as expensive as the new Kindle 2 DX...
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i'm pretty sure those screens cost a lot less than some might (want us to) think they cost.

and, as the production rates increase, the costs will decrease, so they will end up costing even less than they currently do.

as for the recurring revenue of books... they seem to be making a big effort there too, especially with the google partnership (who knows where that could lead...) and the huge increases in their offer lately. if they would just start selling epub format i might even buy from them myself.
I'm not saying they aren't cheap, but I don't know how much the price has dropped on them since they started with the 505.

I wonder if they will ever start selling ePub...
Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I'm not saying they aren't cheap, but I don't know how much the price has dropped on them since they started with the 505.
i don't know about that either, i just think they probably have a big enough margin (now, at least) that they could afford to drop the price to boost sales. that would definitely work.

Quote:
I wonder if they will ever start selling ePub...
honestly i'm surprised they don't yet, i can't understand it. they made the brilliant decision to support epub on their devices first, which is really laudable, yet they don't sell ebooks in that format (even when they're available). it makes no sense to me. maybe they've got plans for that in future, or maybe they don't want to bother with other distributors (presumably they make their lrx books themselves), it still seems a puzzling oversight.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
This is great to hear. I like the Kindle DX, but neither of its two main target reader markets - newspapers and textbooks - apply to me. The lack of an SD is also troubling.

Sony, however, will almost positively have an SD card. Maybe wifi, too? I can hope.

My 505 is a great little reader. I have found myself using my Kindle 1 more often, though, mostly because I've been "printing" to it via email. That is a treat to use. And with Stanza, most of my conversions work fine on the K1.

The lack of an SD card slot has kept me from buying the K2 (and makes me waffle on the KDX, too). If the Sony large screen reader has both SD and wifi, I'll definitely be lining up.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
Good news for europeans aswell as sony should release it in most of it's main markets. Plus i think sony will do a better job on the hardware after all that's what sony do best.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote