Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2005, 07:03 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A mobile screen to drool over

Palm Addicts points us to a wonderful story this morning. Engadget is reporting that Phillips is going to show a Readius rollable display prototype at the Internationale Funkausstellung consumer electronics show in Berlin later this week. It will have a 100µm, QVGA, active-matrix 5-inch display, and will roll up into a 7.5 mm tube when not in use.

I've often wondered how engineers will be able to put a rollup display in a sturdy form factor. Now we can see one way. Now as you improve power, processing and display technology, there's no reason to think we won't have very nice devices that fit very easily into your pocket. Not to mention that they will get lighter also.

It's been a while since I've been really excited about a display technology. In fact, the last exciting idea I remember is the low power laser projection displays that are being worked on. This puts one form to the future of mobile computing that I really like. If they can only make it VGA color, bright, low power, and with a touch sensitive surface. I guess it might be a while before it shows up in your next Palm or Pocket PC device!

More info is available here at EETimes.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
WOW! On my next vacation I can carry a 42" Plasma in my pocket, yes? I admit, I am drooling now.

The sad reality is that we hear all the great news about future display technologies (E-Ink, rollable displays, LED) yet all my gadgets are still powered with battery-hungry LCDs.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2005, 03:44 AM   #3
lindseydyson
Deputy Editor Palm Addict
lindseydyson doesn't litterlindseydyson doesn't litter

Device: Palm Addict
Wouldn't it be grteat if a PDA came out with these specs? It would be fun to have a PDA screen this size that could be expanded when needed and closed when not required.
Lindsey Dyson
Deputy Editor PalmAddict
Personal Assistant to Sammual McLoughlin
Welcoming over 40,000 visitors a day to Palm Addict
lindseydyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Some new information and concept photos on the Polymervision website.

Quote:
Current Specifications
- Contrast: 10:1.
- White reflectance: 35%-40%
- Switching time: 0,5-1s
- Optimum refresh rate: 50 Hz
- Number of pixels: 240 x 320 (quarter VGA - 4.8")
- Rolling radius: 0.75 cm
This technology, combined with better battery technology, will probably be the two most important advancements that will make portable devices excellent e-book readers and more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dream-phone-Call-edit-12988.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	845   Click image for larger version

Name:	flex_display_email-12982.JPG.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	846  
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like the picture of the laptop guy with gadget-envy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gadgetEnvy.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	847  
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
I like the picture of the laptop guy with gadget-envy!
I really don't feel bad for him. He's in first class after all.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote