Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Kindle Files to Go

I've been trying to figure out a good way to get files to my Kindle without actually attaching it to the computer.

I try to keep my Kindle from being TOO full (since it's most damning feature to me remains a lack of folders, etc.)

So far, my attempts have failed. I can't get Calibre to work outside of my computer. It doesn't want to open any gmail attachments and Dropbox won't let me access their site on it.

Anyone work out a clever way to access their Mobi files togo?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Once my TODO stack winds down a little I'll be adding the ability to send books to a email address from calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Yeah, I like that idea a lot.

I've just not quite figured out how to make that work with the Kindle. I'm surprised it wouldn't let me download the file attachment. It downloads ebooks from other websites okay.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

It'd be really nice if Amazon allowed for a pass-through. Let you email yourself already made mobi files, etc.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
It'd be really nice if Amazon allowed for a pass-through. Let you email yourself already made mobi files, etc.
I'm not sure I understand. I email mobi format files to my Kindle all the time. This is just laziness because I don't want to hook the computer up to the Kindle. But the email works perfectly--the attached file appears on the Kindle in a few minutes.

What are you trying to do that is different?
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

I didn't know that.. I tried sending these via email before and always got error messages! I'll try it again! Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I didn't know that.. I tried sending these via email before and always got error messages! I'll try it again! Thanks!
You should find that email works fine -- always has for me.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Ha! This is great.

Well, so much for that! Still would be great to see the feature in Calibre! I'll be happy to make a donation once it is.. would be a big time saver for me!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
babygator
babygator began at the beginning.

Device: none
the email works fine for me as well
babygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've just not quite figured out how to make that work with the Kindle. I'm surprised it wouldn't let me download the file attachment. It downloads ebooks from other websites okay.
Are you able to browse to your calibre server with the Kindle? I never even thought to try that. It must certainly be possible. Feedbooks does it after all.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

No, the page won't load on the Kindle at all. Probably can't handle the login part.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, the page won't load on the Kindle at all. Probably can't handle the login part.
Do you have it set to advanced browser mode and javascript enabled? I can login to gmail....

I guess we have to get Kovid a Kindle now so he can get this working.

BOb
Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #13
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yeah, it's all on. But the calibre login screen is more of a popup so maybe that is the problem.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, it's all on. But the calibre login screen is more of a popup so maybe that is the problem.
That could be what it is.

If you turn off the password does it work?

BOb
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

mm... well, just tried it. Still get the same message "there was an error encountered when processing your request."

At any rate, it's beyond my kin.