Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
varox
varox began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best Ereader for someone in Latin America

Hello everyone, I've been reading a lot about e-readers, and was thinking of buying one.
I plan on reading 1 book per week, mainly about the following topics:
  • Marketing
  • Finance
  • Management / Project Management
  • Psychology/ Negotiation/ Leadership
  • Biology / Physics

I live in Peru. Which one would you recommend for me? I'm deciding between the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo HD.

Thanks in advance.
varox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I live in Peru, as well. However, I am an American citizen with dual residency and I am quite familiar with the ebook readers that I own and what is [not] available in this country.

Unfortunately (as you may realize and as other Peruvians have repeatedly told me), reading is not an important activity here when food, shelter, and other necessities take more priority - and necessarily so.

Both companies are fine; however, in my opinion the Amazon's Kindle will better serve your interests.

You may - if you wish - PM me with specifics. Or, you can simply post here in this thread.

(I'm in Lima, by the way, in San Borja.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-03-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Although you do not indicate as such, if you plan to read the type of books you list in your post (re: Biology, Phsyics) and they are textbooks (PDF files) then I would say that the Kindle Paperwhite is NOT your best choice for an ebook reader.

You would need one with a larger screen.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If they are mostly PDF, I would say to go with a tablet such as an iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
varox
varox began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for your responses.

How different is the reading experience between a Tablet and an e-Reader? I'm a little bit worried about the screen size of the Kindle. I wouldn't use it for reading pdfs.

I would mainly be reading books, like the Selfish Gene in Biology, Cosmos in Physics, Getting things Done, Make things Happen, Scrum.

Dr. Drib: We live pretty close, like 10 minutes tops. Yes people here never read. The average is like half a book a year.
One of the reasons for getting the e-Reader was to be able to read all those books that I can't get here, but that are available as ebooks.
varox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by varox View Post
Thanks for your responses.

How different is the reading experience between a Tablet and an e-Reader? I'm a little bit worried about the screen size of the Kindle. I wouldn't use it for reading pdfs.

I would mainly be reading books, like the Selfish Gene in Biology, Cosmos in Physics, Getting things Done, Make things Happen, Scrum.

Dr. Drib: We live pretty close, like 10 minutes tops. Yes people here never read. The average is like half a book a year.
One of the reasons for getting the e-Reader was to be able to read all those books that I can't get here, but that are available as ebooks.

Ten minutes means you're three blocks away! --- (Driving.)

If you wish to read files that are NOT PDF files, then I think you'll very much enjoy using the Kindle.

Let me know if you have any questions.