Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you can get a 2-year Squaretrade warranty when you purchase either of these. So there can be a warranty if one wants.
Covering manufacturing defects and technical malfunctions? Looks to me like an accidental damage insurance policy, not a warranty.

*checks* Yep. "If there’s an issue with your item that is normally covered by the manufacturer's warranty during that time, we’ll refer you to the manufacturer so they can resolve it. "
http://help.squaretrade.com/help/hel...eTrade-planFAQ

ETA: And it's available only in the USA and Canada.

Last edited by meeera; 07-02-2016 at 10:25 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Covering manufacturing defects and technical malfunctions? Looks to me like an accidental damage insurance policy, not a warranty.

*checks* Yep. "If there’s an issue with your item that is normally covered by the manufacturer's warranty during that time, we’ll refer you to the manufacturer so they can resolve it. "

So if you don't have a manufacturer warranty, and the device fails,you can always break the screen and get SquareTrade to sort it.

But if you order an H2O from Chapters and you live in the US, the exchange rate (including shipping) comes to about $167 (US).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #18
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, no real idea. Either one of those sellers has bought them at a much better price than the other, or one is trying to make more profit from each sale. Of course, the cheaper does charge for shipping, but that doesn't bring it up to the other.
Quote:
I think it would be wise to be very wary of an ebay seller selling lots of new-in-box tech at well below market price. And be aware that if you do end up receiving a device from them, there will be no warranty.
Quote:
But you can get a 2-year Squaretrade warranty when you purchase either of these. So there can be a warranty if one wants.
as i said there is a diffrence in the description of the items , one says a limitation in supporting pdf files :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.A.H View Post

I was today checking eBay for the price of Kobo Aura H2O and saw something very odd … there were ones that costed just about 120$ and there were ones that costed 190$-200$ … i was very confused , until i knew that 120$ ones have this written in the discription :
Rakuten Kobo e-book store, only PDF books that are sold in the Rakuten Kobo e-book store will be supported

and i asked a question :

Quote:

so i wanted to know if it is possible to sideload and read Pdfs using koreader

i would be very thanksful if you could help me figure it out .

thanks
Michael.A.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think it would be wise to be very wary of an ebay seller selling lots of new-in-box tech at well below market price. And be aware that if you do end up receiving a device from them, there will be no warranty.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So if you don't have a manufacturer warranty, and the device fails,you can always break the screen and get SquareTrade to sort it.

But if you order an H2O from Chapters and you live in the US, the exchange rate (including shipping) comes to about $167 (US).
i do not think having warranty would help me because of the following issues :

1, i do not live in a country that i can use warranty
2. the warranty will higher the price which with considering the exchange rate , makes the device unaffordable for me .
Old 07-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #20
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
I suggest a tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, this is precisely what I use a tablet for. It really is a much better choice for PDF.
i already use my laptop to read my pdf files , and as i saw in the rewies on the youtube , i would not have problems , and i have sent a friend of mine , some of the pdfs so he checked it on his kobo aura hd and it was fine .
and i have also checked it on kindle touch (2013) and it was ok too .
Advert
Old 07-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
i already use my laptop to read my pdf files , and as i saw in the rewies on the youtube , i would not have problems , and i have sent a friend of mine , some of the pdfs so he checked it on his kobo aura hd and it was fine .
and i have also checked it on kindle touch (2013) and it was ok too .
Since you have no problems, just get whichever one best fits your budget.

The rest of us were just recommending what we prefer.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, you can install koreader on an H2O and you can use sideloaded PDF with koreader. From what I've seen, koreader is rather good at handling PDF.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yes, you can install koreader on an H2O and you can use sideloaded PDF with koreader. From what I've seen, koreader is rather good at handling PDF.
It's as good as it gets on a small screen, certainly, but still no comparison to being able to display the original PDF page the size it was intended to be displayed at. Going from a 7.9" iPad Mini to a 9.7" iPad Air is the best thing I've ever done when it comes to reading PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's as good as it gets on a small screen, certainly, but still no comparison to being able to display the original PDF page the size it was intended to be displayed at. Going from a 7.9" iPad Mini to a 9.7" iPad Air is the best thing I've ever done when it comes to reading PDFs.
The reson a lot of PDF don't display well is the ridiculously large margins in conjunction with headers/footers.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The reson a lot of PDF don't display well is the ridiculously large margins in conjunction with headers/footers.
That is of course a consideration, but a lot more of it is down to the fact that the overwhelming majority of PDFs are formatted for a page size considerably larger than that of a 6" (or 6.8") screen. By cropping the margins, most PDFs display very well on a 9.7" screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #26
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The OP has already said they're scientific papers with formulas, charts, and images, so margins are the least of their troubles. There is no doubt in my mind that a good-sized tablet would offer a far superior experience compared to a Kobo. The Kobo will display it, sure, but not optimally at all.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:59 AM   #27
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

thank you all .
but i am not sure that i will be able to sideload and read my pdf s on this limited kobo or not ... because it clearly says so ... and i could not contact the seller for more informations ...
Old 07-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
thank you all .
but i am not sure that i will be able to sideload and read my pdf s on this limited kobo or not ... because it clearly says so ... and i could not contact the seller for more informations ...
Yes, you can sideload onto any kindle or kobo.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #29
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
thank you all .
As long as it genuinely is a Kobo you can sideload pdf's on it. ALL e-ink versions of the Kobo use (virtually) identical firmware, so we can say that it will sideload pdf's with confidence. The fact that you can't contact the seller would make me leery of purchasing from them though.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #30
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies all.
i think i got my answer .

Tags
amazon kindle paperwhite, cybook ocean, kobo aura h2o, pocketbook sense, sony prs t3