Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
Blossom,

I have the Kindle FireHD and I was like you in that I had the Marware case for my Fire v1. Liked the handstrap. BUT the one thing the Amazon case has that I find to be wonderful is magnets the new FireHD uses the iPad like magnets feature to put the FireHD to sleep!

very cool!
The HD case I link to has it too.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Blossom, I am kind of astonished that you have chosen the Fire HD over the Paperwhite. Just the size and weight difference between the two is significant. What is it that has convinced you that the Fire HD will make a better device for your reading needs?

Not that I wouldn't mind having a Fire HD myself....but I can't see choosing it over the Paperwhite. The PW is amazing!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #33
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Paperwhite defects

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Blossom, I am kind of astonished that you have chosen the Fire HD over the Paperwhite. Just the size and weight difference between the two is significant. What is it that has convinced you that the Fire HD will make a better device for your reading needs?

Not that I wouldn't mind having a Fire HD myself....but I can't see choosing it over the Paperwhite. The PW is amazing!
Lots of folks are reporting screen defects on their Paperwhites. Mine came in perfect but about 20% seem to be having bad problems on their first shipments and some on the replacements as well.

It would pay to wait until December for Amazon to identify and correct the problems to order a Paperwhite.

I also have a Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb on order with a scheduled delivery of Oct 25.

I use the Paperwhite for reading in the day time on a rocking chair by a window without a desk. I use my present Kindle Fire 1st Gen for reading at a desk at night.

Each serves a different purpose. The Fire has the ability to run android apps of all kinds along with playing MP3 files and netflix videos. The PW is light for holding without the use of a desk.

I use the Fire with a dimmed screen and the PW with a high level of brightness on the PW light.

I believe 32 Gb will become a necessity for the Fire HD 7" since new android apps will probably use every bit of space in the next 6 months. Those with 16 Gb will be severely limited since memory cannot be added after purchase.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

There are too many problems with the PW to buy right it now. Blotchy spots, rainbow hues, pinlight holes....etc Amazon is looking into it but it could be months and I get my birthday money next month so it's either buy a new Desktop or upgrade my reading devices. The PW is out till the problems are fixed so that leaves a Tablet.

I love my Kindle Fire but the HD is suppose to be a better screen for reading. I need something to read in the dark and a book light or lighted case is out due to how our bedroom is setup.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I don't own a KF2, but I have had the opportunity to use one. It still fits in my back pocket
Bad idea putting a KF (any version) n your back pocket. One day, you'll sit on it and break it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #36
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see, Blossom....the Fire HD is tempting. The weight is somewhere between the PW and the Fire 1. If Best Buy has a Fire HD on display, I will get a chance to handle one tomorrow. I'm curious how good it will be as a reader when compared to eink. I prefer eink over my Fire or Nook Color. But part of that is due to the size and weight. I prefer a smaller, lighter reader to take in my bag or hold up in bed.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #37
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I was able to use a Fire HD at Best Buy today. I whipped my Fire 1 out and compared. It seemed a little faster, not a lot. On a book page on each, page turn, opening the book, all that was the same. I put them both on sepia, and the HD looked bluer (to my DH), they were definitely not the same color. Ditto on the white. The Fire HD had a blue tone on the white screen. I liked the look of my Fire better, in the book screens. Overall, I don't feel the urge to get the Fire HD, the Fire I have is fine. The only thing that would be really cool, would be using the HDMI port to connect it to the TV and browse the web on the TV. So I'll keep it in mind...thinking of getting a new TV this fall for my room.

Oh yeah.....one of the guys there said they had way too many of them in stock. So maybe they aren't selling too well at that store. I'm hopeful they'll put it on sale or offer it with a big gift certificate with purchase ($50) or more). Then I will be very tempted.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-12-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #38
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I was able to use a Fire HD at Best Buy today. I whipped my Fire 1 out and compared. It seemed a little faster, not a lot. On a book page on each, page turn, opening the book, all that was the same. I put them both on sepia, and the HD looked bluer (to my DH), they were definitely not the same color. Ditto on the white. The Fire HD had a blue tone on the white screen. I liked the look of my Fire better, in the book screens. Overall, I don't feel the urge to get the Fire HD, the Fire I have is fine. .
I did the same thing, I brought my fire with me to Best Buy and compared. My impressions were pretty much the same as yours.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I did the same thing, I brought my fire with me to Best Buy and compared. My impressions were pretty much the same as yours.
Cool screens are easier for me to read with. My Fire first fire was Warm. My second fire is cool. I might go this weekend. I wont be taking my Fire with me but I'll know from memory the differences.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #40
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Cool screens are easier for me to read with. My Fire first fire was Warm. My second fire is cool. I might go this weekend. I wont be taking my Fire with me but I'll know from memory the differences.
Good Luck, Blossom. The new Fire HD looks really nice, but I'm happy enough with mine to hang on to it for awhile.

When I pulled out my Fire at Best Buy one of the reps came up to me and said "Oh I see you're comparing..." Then he seemed poised to go into all the reasons about why I should buy the new one. I just smiled, but I felt like asking him to please back away while I conduct my experiments. It's nice to be able to see them in person before buying.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Good Luck, Blossom. The new Fire HD looks really nice, but I'm happy enough with mine to hang on to it for awhile.

When I pulled out my Fire at Best Buy one of the reps came up to me and said "Oh I see you're comparing..." Then he seemed poised to go into all the reasons about why I should buy the new one. I just smiled, but I felt like asking him to please back away while I conduct my experiments. It's nice to be able to see them in person before buying.
Ugh the last thing I want is a one their sales people bothering me. I'll make sure hubby is there. He looks very menacing so that should work.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #42
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Ugh the last thing I want is a one their sales people bothering me. I'll make sure hubby is there. He looks very menacing so that should work.
I know, it's the worst. And I don't have a menacing looking hubby for protection. Although maybe I look menacing because he did go away.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well in that case, you will like the Fire HD. I seem to prefer the warmer screen, just in my brief comparison. It does have some different fonts, so that is nice, too.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I know, it's the worst. And I don't have a menacing looking hubby for protection. Although maybe I look menacing because he did go away.
I couldn't look mean if I wanted to. *sigh* I'm just too pudgy and adorable looking. I've tried snobby it just doesn't look right. It's hopeless. *shakes head* So I just stump them with my questions. Most of the time they are clueless.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #45
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
I couldn't look mean if I wanted to. *sigh* I'm just too pudgy and adorable looking. I've tried snobby it just doesn't look right. It's hopeless. *shakes head* So I just stump them with my questions. Most of the time they are clueless.
LOL! So true! That's the easiest way to get rid of them quickly.