Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
KindlePaul
KindlePaul began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Amazon minimum number of ratings option

Sorry if this is a repeat (I haven't found a thread about this).

I'm thrilled with the option to download Amazon ratings for the books in my library. However, I can't stand the 5-star ratings with only one rating. I would like to limit the downloading of a rating for a book to books with a minimum of, say, 50 ratings. That way it's a fair representative of the groupthink out there.
KindlePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Dellu
Dellu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I second

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindlePaul View Post
Sorry if this is a repeat (I haven't found a thread about this).

I'm thrilled with the option to download Amazon ratings for the books in my library. However, I can't stand the 5-star ratings with only one rating. I would like to limit the downloading of a rating for a book to books with a minimum of, say, 50 ratings. That way it's a fair representative of the groupthink out there.
yes, I also would like to know how many people rated the book. That would be a great feature.
Dellu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Cheyenne
Cheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolateCheyenne is generous with chocolate

Device: pc, literati
Thirded!

One can accumulate quite a collection in Calibre, especially with so many free books available. And when searching the collection for something to read, it would be very helpful to see how many people have rated the books, a factor equally as important as the overall ratings themselves imo.

5 stars is great, but knowing 30 people have rated it as opposed to just one is extremely helpful.

In a perfect world (not to suggest Calibre is less than perfect as-is ), there would be an option to download/update ratings, including amount of reviews. Since some can change quite a bit, ie if a book was newly released when the calibre user added it to one's collection, so being able to conveniently update just the ratings and number of reviewers would be a very helpful asset.

Another small thought - I use a firefox extension, Greasemonkey, with a script installed called Better Amazon. Somehow, when browsing Amazon, the script embeds the actual numerical review rating average to the hundredths. Instead of just seeing 4 1/2 stars, it also shows, for example, "4.57" next to it. I don't know how it does this (either requesting it from amazon, or calculating it), but having this information in calibre might also be an asset.
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon rating limit count