Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What the OP did and didn't know is irrelevant to his/her cry for help at the moment.
Not if he was thinking about taking it back or sending it back to the webstore. Also, people are saying now that BN can tell when Nooks you're attempting to return have been rooted.

You're treating this forum like your own personal little blog, btw. It's not, it's a community where everyones opinion counts equally.

Here's hoping things work out for the OP.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
It may well be possible that Hanscraft did not know that "rooting" could also void the NC warranty. Just because someone knows enough to realize rooting could be a fun thing to do, doesn't altogether mean they know the full implications of going through with it; including possibly bricking the machine and voiding the warranty. I'm not saying that is exactly the case, but it isn't out of the range of possibility, so 'that individual' could have been providing an unknown and important eye-opener.

A lot of iOS device owners ran into similar trouble during the early stages of "jailbreaking" iPods and iPhones. They had the will and desire to try it, without the knowledge of what could go wrong. I remember many desperate phone calls from friends and family, bitterly complaining about "bricked" phones, formated OS's, lack of phone service, and all manner of other oddities.

I'd always ask them if they had read up about all the potential problems that could crop up, and most of the time I'd get some sort of answer like, "uh no, everyone just said it was cool, so I wanted to try it."
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
Scion, I would like to say THANK YOU for all of the advice you have given on rooting the Nook Color! I have learned quite a bit from the advice you have given others. Please keep up the work when you have the time and thanks for the great answers!
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
JoeSchmoo
JoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
I agree that Scion is a great asset to the board. I disagree that everyone's opinion counts equally--right opinions count for much more than wrong opinions.

Of course, I do agree that everyone should have an opportunity to state their opinion, assuming, of course, that they do so in a respectful, courteous manner.

What I like about Scion's posts is that they are focused on helping with questions, mostly technical, about the Nook Color. I've learned a lot from this forum and appreciate that I can get quick answers if I have any questions or problems. Thanks to all helpful forum members!
JoeSchmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
SammyWI
SammyWI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2, NookColor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoo View Post
I agree that Scion is a great asset to the board. I disagree that everyone's opinion counts equally--right opinions count for much more than wrong opinions.

Of course, I do agree that everyone should have an opportunity to state their opinion, assuming, of course, that they do so in a respectful, courteous manner.

What I like about Scion's posts is that they are focused on helping with questions, mostly technical, about the Nook Color. I've learned a lot from this forum and appreciate that I can get quick answers if I have any questions or problems. Thanks to all helpful forum members!
Well said. It deserves repeating.
SammyWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #21
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Wonder if the OP ever got the problem worked out.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
FatherStorm
▒▒▒WebGod▒▒▒
FatherStorm has learned how to buy an e-book online

please read and note all who come across this thread. 1.) when you root your nook. it WILL load with a blank screen and it WILL sit there for a long time looking like it's stuck. 2.) following the directions to reset your nook WILL recover a misapplied root. be patient, follow all the steps. and hold the requisite buttons as long as you need to until the next expected action occurs. unlike other Android devices it's currently damn hard to brick your nook due to the way that the original rom is stored, and the updated ROM's are loaded. I have successfully come back from a botched root once, and restored back to factory once, on a Nook that i ended taking back due to QC issues with the screen. my second device was super easy to root having kept the imaged sd and remembering the steps.
FatherStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #23
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherStorm View Post
please read and note all who come across this thread. 1.) when you root your nook. it WILL load with a blank screen and it WILL sit there for a long time looking like it's stuck. 2.) following the directions to reset your nook WILL recover a misapplied root. be patient, follow all the steps. and hold the requisite buttons as long as you need to until the next expected action occurs. unlike other Android devices it's currently damn hard to brick your nook due to the way that the original rom is stored, and the updated ROM's are loaded. I have successfully come back from a botched root once, and restored back to factory once, on a Nook that i ended taking back due to QC issues with the screen. my second device was super easy to root having kept the imaged sd and remembering the steps.
So you were successful at rooting your NC, then resetting to factory, and then returning it.......There's been quite a debate about the ability to return after rooting..... Where's RockdaMan when you need him
Did you return it to Barnes and Noble, or somewhere else?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
....There's been quite a debate about the ability to return after rooting...
Not really a debate. Just one person continuously barking.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #25
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Hanscraft, I also thought I had bricked my NC. What I did that helped me the most (other than listening to good advice & rereading the instructions) was to take a couple of days away from the problem. This allowed my frustration & panic to subside so that I was better able to calmly follow the reset instructions.

Part of my problem may have been some sort of QC (maybe HW, maybe SW) because even after unrooting (and before) my NC kept updating itself back to version 1.0.0. New NC replacement is on its way.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #26
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Not really a debate. Just one person continuously barking.

Reported to the mods, as they've asked me to do when certain posters can't help but poke other posters in the eye.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
Withfeeling
Withfeeling began at the beginning.

If you really can't get to 8 reboots, follow the instructions on nookdevs.com to install ADB and use the other route to the factory reset.
Withfeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post

Reported to the mods, as they've asked me to do when certain posters can't help but poke other posters in the eye.
If you only knew how you're viewed by many here.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #29
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
I direct attention to the MobileRead Guidelines, and require that we "Discuss Things Politely" and that "when things get controversial please disagree with the opinion, not the person". Please review the Guidelines if necessary before posting, and "Remember that you can use the "ignore" function to ignore a member whose posts irritate you".
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant

Now we have to worry about individuals tattle telling on us? We never had this problem before.