Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #61
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
When I first got My iPad, it was gift which unfortunately arrived without a cover from the US. As I was in India at that time, and while I could buy a ton of iPad's on the Grey Market there was not an iPad case to be found (well at least nothing that could actually protect, but did not cost a fortune).

Desperate to get some protection, especially before flying out so that I could use it on the way, I stumbled upon a Caselogic 7"-10" Netbook sleeve / Case, whose Padded Compartment provided good protection till I could Find a proper iPad Case.

Heading to Egypt, I was unable to find a case in Abu Dhabi nor in Egypt. So The Netbook case had to soldier on for a couple of more weeks until I was able to get a case. Finally my local Apple reseller in Egypt had a case, in fact the official Apple Folio Case, but who was it over priced. Think I paid more then twice the European price, forget the US price.

Still I figured it was worth paying that much to protect such an expensive device that was going to get carried around a lot. And considering how clumsy I can be, that was probably a wise decision.

So the folio soldiered on, for the next few months , serving reasonably well, except for a couple of problems that were infuriating. First, the Case does not work with Apples own dock, requiring you to remove the iPad from the case before you can put in on the dock, meaning that the dock largely gathers dust.

Another Issue I've run into is that the case gathers dust and stains like nobody's business, kind of spoiling the sleek look. Finally, the case can be a bit awkward to hold when you use it around the the way I do.

So Last week I went back to the same reseller, an lo and behold, they had quiet quiet a few cases, and while they were expensive, they was not a complete rip-off as they were last time.

After a lot of thought and looking around I decided to go for the Marware Sportshell Convertible (Black) for a couple of reasons. Its a shell case but with a few extra touches.

First it has a Removable hand strap which make it much easier for me to walk around with the iPad around the house and office, without worrying about dropping it.

Secondly, it has 4 hinged feet that swing out, either to act as a stand to allow you to place the iPad in the slight incline that helps with typing or as a viewing stand which nicely hold the iPad in Landscape mode, which is ideal for video watching. As such It fill part of the need that got me to the original dock.

I've been using this case for a week, and so far have been preety happy with it. Having said that, I've not take it out of the house much so will have to see how well it holds out in that use.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #62
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
It does look nice indeed!

I looked everywhere here in Spain, and finally decided to get the Mophie Workbook. http://www.mophie.com/mophie-workboo...k-ipad-blk.htm
I like that the standing position is thanks to the velcro system entirely modulable, and I love the elastic strap to keep the case closed like a Moleskine.
I've had it for a week now and do not regret spending the 50€ on it, although mind you, I do think 50€ is a lot for a case, but considering the others I saw (Kensington, Apple, tuff-luv and so on) I think the Mophie is "a good deal".
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #63
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Scosche cover and Gelaskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
When I first got My iPad, it was gift which unfortunately arrived without a cover from the US. As I was in India at that time, and while I could buy a ton of iPad's on the Grey Market there was not an iPad case to be found (well at least nothing that could actually protect, but did not cost a fortune).

Desperate to get some protection, especially before flying out so that I could use it on the way, I stumbled upon a Caselogic 7"-10" Netbook sleeve / Case, whose Padded Compartment provided good protection till I could Find a proper iPad Case.

Heading to Egypt, I was unable to find a case in Abu Dhabi nor in Egypt. So The Netbook case had to soldier on for a couple of more weeks until I was able to get a case. Finally my local Apple reseller in Egypt had a case, in fact the official Apple Folio Case, but who was it over priced. Think I paid more then twice the European price, forget the US price.

So the folio soldiered on, for the next few months , serving reasonably well, except for a couple of problems that were infuriating. First, the Case does not work with Apples own dock, requiring you to remove the iPad from the case before you can put in on the dock, meaning that the dock largely gathers dust.

Another Issue I've run into is that the case gathers dust and stains like nobody's business, kind of spoiling the sleek look. Finally, the case can be a bit awkward to hold when you use it around the the way I do.
I've been using this case for a week, and so far have been preety happy with it. Having said that, I've not take it out of the house much so will have to see how well it holds out in that use.
Nice posting! I really love my Scosche cover/stand. My iPad nevers goes on the road without it!

I received my Gelaskin yesterday and it was a dream to put on the iPad! One thing I immediately noticed was the "feel" of the decal on the back. No longer do I feel like my aluminum iPad will slip out of my hand. It's not sticky but does feel like it's more "gripable". Easy to apply and will be easy to remove when I decided to change it or remove it for selling. It was hard to choose just one from all the gorgeous artwork available.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #64
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Nice posting! I really love my Scosche cover/stand. My iPad nevers goes on the road without it!

I received my Gelaskin yesterday and it was a dream to put on the iPad! One thing I immediately noticed was the "feel" of the decal on the back. No longer do I feel like my aluminum iPad will slip out of my hand. It's not sticky but does feel like it's more "gripable". Easy to apply and will be easy to remove when I decided to change it or remove it for selling. It was hard to choose just one from all the gorgeous artwork available.
I agree the Scosch Cases are really nice and I would love to get one , however one of the curses of living outside the US, and in the middle east in particular is that unless you want to pay for international delivery (which is often more then the price) you have to stick to what the local stores stock.

Geleskins look really cool, but I'm clumsy enough that I want a little bit more protection with the grip. Thats one the big complaints I have with the iPad. If I'm carrying it Naked, I'm always afraid that I'm going to drop it, not to mention the scratch magnet the back is .
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #65
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
I'm among those who like the official Apple case. I try to get a feel for other cases when I can and I have yet to find anything that is thin enough, feels right, and offers a bit of an incline while using the ipad on my lap (this means the cover has to fold around, no little plastic stands will do!)

I'd like if it didn't get dirty so easily, but it's not a huge concern for me. The case desogn is otherwise nearly perfect!

I also use a targus 10" netbook bag when I bring my iPad around with me. It doesn't look like a purse, and it has enough extra space to carry a few extra items with me when I'm out and about without being too bulky.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #66
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
After going to Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, Best Buy and Target, I finally found a case I like at Wal-Mart of all places...on sale. I just picked up the Griffin Elan Passport in nylon for my iPad and it seems to be a great balance of protection and slimness without anything fancy that will make it a thief magnet.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #67
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
The apple case is still the best to me
Ditto. I wish it had the ability to stand vertically at an angle just as it does horizontally, but otherwise, it's perfect. AND it doesn't draw attention to itself when I read on the subway, so I worry less about snatch and run thefts. The grungier it gets, the more I like it.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #68
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Otterbox

For me the ultimate case is the Otterbox Defender. It gives amazing protection which allows me to travel with the iPad if I so desire and makes it virtually bump and drop proof. Once on, with the enclosed screen guard all controls remain easily accesible. The screen shield doubles as a stand.

The disadvantages lie in the increase in weight and the hassle in getting it on and off. So I tend to leave it on all the time. Perhaps the lighter Otterbox Commuter might be more convenient for use around the house and short trips. I have both a Defender and Commuter for my iPod Touch and I find that the latter is the one I make most use of.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #69
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I just love my DIY-Cases
The first one for storing iPad at home (with or without a silicone case), the second one for on the go.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Wooden-iPad-case/
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...oleskin-style/
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #70
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Zazzle for a custom case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zazzle.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	66656  
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Zazzle for a custom case.
Thanks for that. I didn't know Zazzle made iPad cases. I already own an Oberon case, or I'd consider buying one using the design on this tee-shirt:

http://www.zazzle.com/visage_tshirt-235468705843405159

(Free plug: Several other designs by her are available there as well.)

(Full disclosure: I didn't buy the tee shirt. It has no pocket, and I don't buy shirts without at least one.)

(But I did buy the coffee cup!)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #72
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
I see a lot of people are fans of the official iPad case. It seems easy to prop up and read in landscape but how do you read in portrait? If I turn it sideways, one side has this bulky handle on it that doesn't really seem comfortable for long periods of reading. Or am I doing something wrong?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, cover, ipad, protection