Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 AM   #46
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
Prior to and during Kobo’s launch we have seen on their Web site and in stores an advertisement for a feature to not only read books but also to read newspapers and magazines. If there are users on these forums that don’t care for their money and don’t care if they are given the features that they buy, then by all means go out and buy yourself another device-of-the-month.
If I even recall so far, I would say I couldn't read magazine on this
small device. Marqueting is not what I trully believe. I also do not
believe that format, intended for printing, could be reflowed for
6 inch screen. Finally, when I got my reader, it was a lot cheaper
than big irons.

Quote:
Hi Amazon. Hello Barnes & Noble. Good day Sony.
I think the same if it suits me. So far, kobo stays over the water line.

Quote:
Lastly, as a professor of software engineering I will be putting together a very interesting case on Kobo as an example to my students.
Hm. Simply don't. Someone might call you kindle fanboy. I agree that
developer guys are loosing the time mark, that they missed features
I liked, that their focus is on the new device... True. Also for k3. They
will not listen to your wish, but will upgrade you via wifi without a
question. Here it is, little user. Fear not. We think for you. Shortly, we
all knew what the reader was and we accepted it. With all missing
stuff and not responding service. They never answer my mails, but
I ponder it a lot better. Nothing stops me from having both kobo and
k3 at the same time.
There is a fine book on embedded linux from O'Reilly.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:29 AM   #47
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I cannot fathom this fascination for PDF documents being read on 5-6" ereaders. These devices are designed primarily to display ePUB (Kindle - ASW) ebooks.

There are not many ereaders on the market that can actually display such documents well. Some are better than others and some are simply awful.

Perhaps the option would be to chose a tablet device such as the ipad or galaxy tab which have larger LCD screens.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 AM   #48
theusualuser
Enthusiast
theusualuser doesn't littertheusualuser doesn't litter

Device: none
It seems like there are two camps here. People who just read books on the Kobo, and people who want to read newspapers on it.

The people who read books are *mostly* happy. The people who bought the Kobo and wanted to read newspapers on it from day one are *definitely* not.

I can see the point of the people who have said, "It was a promised feature before I ever bought it." Yes, they are mishandling you by moving back the firmware updates necessary to make this happen.

I can also see that there are currently workarounds for this, like using Calibre. I would suggest you look into that.

I would also suggest that you write a very professional email reminding Kobo that it costs a lot more in marketing to entice a new customer than it does to retain one (this is why the hotel I work at gives people free rooms when they have a serious complaint). Let them know that you feel it's in their best interest to push this upgrade ahead of any other future plans, and remind them that your decision to remain a loyal customer of their book store (which is likely where they're making a lot of the money) hinges on their treatment of their original customers that have kept them in business up to this point.

I'd also remind them that the internet NEVER forgets, and enough complaints and crushing reviews from other angry gen1 users could effectively cripple their reputation.

Just my two cents.
theusualuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:15 AM   #49
Deerslayer
Deerslayer began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Why PDF's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I cannot fathom this fascination for PDF documents being read on 5-6" ereaders. These devices are designed primarily to display ePUB (Kindle - ASW) ebooks.

T
The PDF capability sold me on the KOBO. I have a number of technical manuals for things I own (new car, camera, r/c transmitters, etc.) that I moved onto the KOBO, as well as some things such as the membership list, By-Laws and Minutes of meetings for a large organization I belong to...

There are many such uses for a reader, something that I can carry around in the car, to meetings, etc. PDF is a universal standard, and everything from manuals to business documents and converted spreadsheets can be stored/displayed, provided that the display device handles it well. I have yet to BUY an ebook, I have read a few of the freebies and several from a local library, but I would keep my reader for the PDF capability alone, even with its current limitations. I wonder it the KOBO folks anticipated such a customer?

My point is, the capability of something is there, so it will likely be used by at least some customers - and that may even differentiate their offering from those of their competitors! It is not up to the manufacturer to tell its customers what they need - the customers will ask/tell them.

As one who developed computer systems for a lot of years, I learned a long time ago that you will find your clients doing some very (strange?), interesting and innovative things with your software, so it is in your interest to follow up, listen, learn and do the best possible job in whatever you pass along to them.

I bought my KOBO within a week of its arrival in the stores. I tend to shop for "value in service". I got what I paid for with my KOBO. I am happy with it, but do expect some ongoing upgrades to correct issues (the first one was OK, but a couple of minor improvements hinted at via the long-awaited next one would be most welcome).

I have eagerly checked this forum almost every day for at least 3 months now, awaiting news of the next upgrade. It has been dangled out there by KOBO management and developers, etc., but now it is becoming clear that there is no intention to bring one out. I contrast this with the way in which Calibre has been handled (which is offered free, not to sell books from the company store!).

So, although I like by KOBO all right, I am glad that I did not pay more for it and I am unlikely to buy a future offering from them. Had KOBO stated up front, say after 1.4 came out, that this was the final upgrade, I think that would have been better customer relations.
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #50
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your post does have some pertinent points. I know for example that I take Road design software to the nth degree in order to force it to do what I require it to do.

In regards to PDF's, the problem is not the ereader, but the very nature of PDF's and the software used to create them. A PDF is designed to be an A4 (up to A0) size portable document that preserves the author's formatting intact. The majority of PDF's are thus designed to be read on a desktop PC display not a 5-7" ereader screen.

Also, I doubt that the firmware 1.4 is the final firmware release for the Ko1

We just all need to be patient.
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #51
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualuser View Post
It seems like there are two camps here. People who just read books on the Kobo, and people who want to read newspapers on it.
Might be. In fact, newspapers are intended for wide 20+ inch
displays. A lot of pictures and tables. I read feeds on all of my
nodes, disregarding the size. They are xml and could be pro-
cessed in a way I like to see them as a final result. I'm aware of
"m" web pages, if they are what we are talking about. If it must
be, I'd rather compile lynx and show pages without pictures at
all. There is nothing to stop device from going outbound, but
usb adapter, on which the reader connects as a guest. I'll point
to old forums for nokia devices, regarding enableing it to use
usb keyboard or alike.

Without a quote for pdf, I must to stress once more that usage
for all kind of tutorials, manuals etc is not smartest one. The
format might be reflowed if end line has no "end of line" set on.
This is not the matter of "we want it" but the matter of "change
every end of line and it will convert fine". I'm not adept on the
subject, but I failed on every occasion of files of that kind.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #52
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
I have eagerly checked this forum almost every day for at least 3 months now, awaiting news of the next upgrade. It has been dangled out there by KOBO management and developers, etc., but now it is becoming clear that there is no intention to bring one out.
I can understand your frustration, but that's quite a leap. As I tell my wife frequently when she "reminds" me about certain home projects that have gone undone, "Just because I haven't done it yet doesn't mean I won't."
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #53
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
I have been reading these forums since I bought the original Kobo device when it came out. I have seen too many comments from ‘Kobo fan boys’ if you will.
I can only assume the "fan boy" bit is intended to insult.

Quote:
Lastly, as a professor of software engineering I will be putting together a very interesting case on Kobo as an example to my students. Think anyone would disagree with me how they failed their original user base? Didn't think so, and I hope all of you think deeply before purchasing your next device.

KoboNo
Aha! An academic. That explains a lot.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #54
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't feel failed at all. I knew what I was buying. I knew what I was paying (which would be a hundred dollars less than its competitors when I flipped the switch in May) and I have been around the block often enough to know that when buying technology, the only thing you can count on is what is in your hands the day of purchase.

Reading newspapers and magazines was an added bonus, but it was not a must-have for me. Had it been so, then I would not have purchased a device that didn't have it when I made my purchase.

Will you also be extolling the strategy of picking a combative name on bulletin boards and intentionally attempting to insult other users who disagree with you when you teach?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #55
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I sense the reality is that as Kobo worked on new features, the limitations of the initial reader began to show
  • insufficient memory
  • some oversights in how the firmware upgrade process worked that made for a more complex upgrade
  • the lack of a true "reset to virgin state" on the device

These made the initial plans for new features such as papers and magazines more complex, and these facts, along with the changed pricing in the marketplace (and new features in competitors) made them change their priorities.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #56
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I sense the reality is that as Kobo worked on new features, the limitations of the initial reader began to show
  • insufficient memory
  • some oversights in how the firmware upgrade process worked that made for a more complex upgrade
  • the lack of a true "reset to virgin state" on the device

These made the initial plans for new features such as papers and magazines more complex, and these facts, along with the changed pricing in the marketplace (and new features in competitors) made them change their priorities.
If that is the case they are going to have a lot of trouble satisfying many of us who bought the kobo based on eventually having access to those features.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #57
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
It doesn't help when you get info straight from the Kobo people themselves on this forum, saying things like "newspapers in a couple of weeks" or "looking to release firmware last Monday or Tuesday" and then nothing happens and there's no information.

I've even asked a couple of times what is being addressed in the new firmware and haven't heard a thing.
A lot of people release bug fixes, behaviour changes and new improvement lists before the firmware is out so people know what to roughly expect.

Some people feel failed, others don't.
I certainly bought the device, knowing that newspapers and magazines were due to be released in the next few weeks and that the unit was new and was currently being supported and improved by a small company; i was disappointed when i saw all their time was being spent on a new reader which, to me, is only the barest of upgrades.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #58
sabredog

You must remember though that at the very least Kobo support actually participate in this forum, unlike other manufacturers forums, such as Kindle or Sony.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #59
Deerslayer
Deerslayer began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
You must remember though that at the very least Kobo support actually participate in this forum, unlike other manufacturers forums, such as Kindle or Sony.
Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to find that some Kobo employees participate in a Forum. Most organizations in today's "service" and "support" business carefully restrict their employees from getting too close to the clients. I worked for a large computer services organization for the last few years of my career, having been outsourced to it from my employer of 30 some years. Whereas we used to work directly with those who we provided systems for, this was replaced by the typical beurocratic system - direct contact was discouraged, even the most minor issue or suggestion was to be handled via the "help" desk, and what was good for the end users would be decided by folks well above that level. Help tickets often got closed without the person really being properly taken care of. At the ground level, our clients grew to hate the whole arrangement. Eventually, the organization insourced the most important of their applications. I know that the deteriorating support issue was one of the driving forces - especially as some of the "little people" within the client's organization moved up into positions of greater responsibility.

I suspect that management within Kobo will do what you are saying their competitors do, follow this same model. The public expression of (implied) future upgrades for our purchase will be viewed as a big mistake. Such will not be allowed to happen again! Back to your cubicle, boys and girls, your job is to grind out code.

I, like many other Customers, really do appreciate what several Kobo employees at various levels have done here in the way of listening and supporting their CUSTOMERS. I hope they have not, and will not, suffer grief as a result. To most Customers, the "old" ways of customer relations are fondly remembered and lead to a willingness to continue to buy products from those who still behave in that manner.
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #60
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Personally, I think the Kobo people were totally caught be surprise at their own success. I truly doubt that they expected that what they've done would change the landscape of the ereader market so dramatically, or so soon.

My guess is that their business plan had them sticking with the Gen1 device through Christmas this year, and that the $149 price would still be the lowest on the market by a long shot. Price slashing by Sony and Kindle sent that business plan to the shredder before summer even started.

I'd bet that getting a WiFi device out on the market became a matter of survival for them. The only other choice would be to drop the price of the original unit below $100. So by adding a $9 part to the reader, they've been able to keep the price $50 higher. That's quite possibly the difference between sinking or thriving.

This is all conjecture, but my guess is that they probably promised all of the "extras", and the new firmware updates honestly expecting to be able to deliver them. But given a choice between sticking with those promises and going under, or putting all the resources they've got into getting a new, competitive product on the market ASAP they made the pragmatic, sensible choice.

So am I happy about it? Obviously not. But I think I can understand what happened, and I really doubt that they've forgotten about us. I wouldn't have minded seeing a mea culpa about it here though. Maybe in a thread like this????
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote