Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Worth upgrading Abbyy Finereader 10 to version 11?

I've got Finereader 10, is the upgrade to version 11 worthwhile?

I suppose what I'm asking is whether it is truly more accurate and faster?

Also, has anyone tried the Finereader 11 epub output?

Just wondering if it is worth the $99.99 they are asking. Supposedly the deal right now is that you get PDF Transformer 3.0 with it for free, though honestly, I have doubts about that being a $79.99 value, as it sells for more like $20 on eBay. Still, if I could sell on ebay for $15 to $20, that would make the upgrade cost less, and I'm always for that if the upgrade is actually a worthwhile one.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
I too have Finereader 10 and have tried Finereader 11 on trial. According to ABBYY it's more accurate, but I have not found anything to indicate that. It still produses many structural errors (breaks paragraph in several paragraphs) and it takes just as long to proofread.

The epub output is useless. You cannot tell it what elements you want in the toc, you cannot tell where you want to split the book in different files, and you have no controll over css. To generate epubs, it's best to export as html and edit in sigil. But exporting as .djvu is excellent.

I won't be paying for an upgrade, in my eyes it's not worth it.

Btw: OCR of gothic is not possible in Finereader 11 either. It's not a big point, but I'm just mentioning it
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Thanks for the report. I'll save my money. I figured the epub output was probably not going to be terribly good for my purposes, but had to ask.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
I downloaded version 11 after having used v. 10 a fair bit.

I must say I am not noticing a big difference between 10 and 11, but the picture recognition is working differently, or a really hard-to-find setting was changed.

Areas marked as pictures no longer show the actual picture in the preview. Instead it just shows a red box that says "picture". I really dislike this, can't figure out how to disable it.

Abbyy has no English speaking forum, it's all in Russian. It takes me forever to write something intelligible in Russian - and even longer to understand the responses. This is a real drawback in my opinion. They really ought to look at setting up an English speaking forum.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
Areas marked as pictures no longer show the actual picture in the preview. Instead it just shows a red box that says "picture". I really dislike this, can't figure out how to disable it.
As far as I have figured, this has to do with the format you have chosen to save the file to. You should have a drop-down menu to choose Exact Copy, Plain Text, FOrmatted Text etc? The option flexible layout doesn't support images in preview, but the other formats should.

Edit: images also disappears in preview mode if you disable the option "Keep images" located under the drop-down-menu.

Last edited by Iznogood; 06-18-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Yes, you are absolutely right - that solved the problem. Thank you so much for helping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
As far as I have figured, this has to do with the format you have chosen to save the file to. You should have a drop-down menu to choose Exact Copy, Plain Text, FOrmatted Text etc? The option flexible layout doesn't support images in preview, but the other formats should.

Edit: images also disappears in preview mode if you disable the option "Keep images" located under the drop-down-menu.
Yes, formatted text showed the pictures.
Likewise, selecting output file as PDF in the "Save" dropdown
And "Keep Images" works like you said too..

Back to the topic at hand
: Well you can "try before you buy". It's available on just about every torrent site. I think everybody who has the skills to use Finereader would also know where to look and how to download.

Last edited by martienne; 06-19-2012 at 02:45 PM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Yes, you are absolutely right - that solved the problem. Thank you so much for helping!
Yes, formatted text showed the pictures.
Likewise, selecting output file as PDF in the "Save" dropdown
And "Keep Images" works like you said too..

Happy to be of assistance!

Quote:

Back to the topic at hand
: Well you can "try before you buy". It's available on just about every torrent site. I think everybody who has the skills to use Finereader would also know where to look and how to download.
One word of warning here: pirated software are often loaded with spyware and malware. Downloading executables from the darknet is hazardous, at least without a very good anti virus program. It is possible to make precautions against this, but it takes some more skills than downloading the software