Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #31
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I totally forgot to look at the Baen book in Sigil yesterday. Let's see if I remember tonight.

I did look at the source in Sigil, and I seem to remember that it wasn't too bad. It wasn't just a save as HTML from Word, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time trying to optimise it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #32
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The Baen book was split into four or five parts (by Calibre, so I must have converted it myself.) That was the only real difference as far as I could tell, so it must just be the file size that slows it down.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just looked at the sideloaded epub I'm reading. Each chapter is it's own html file, and it looks like the majority are less then 8KB. And it is still too slow. C'mon kobo, please release a fix for the slowness.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #34
UncleIvor
Enthusiast
UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kobo readers, Sony readers from the past.
I've just bought a KoboGlo, and page turning is a pain. I've converted files from odt to epub; would I be better off converting txt files?
UncleIvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #35
Wally
Wally began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Is this still an issue with the latest firmware? I was about to get a glo, but all my content would be calibre epubs so I'm worried the slow page turning might be a deal breaker.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #36
MisterMax
Enthusiast
MisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the rough

Device: 2 Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleIvor View Post
I've just bought a KoboGlo, and page turning is a pain. I've converted files from odt to epub; would I be better off converting txt files?
If the epub are slow, try to convert/reconvert them with Calibre, changing a value in the epub output options.
Change the "Split file larger than" parameter from it's default value (260Kb) to the minimum value of 25Kb.

I've never tried odt documents.
MisterMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #37
MisterMax
Enthusiast
MisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the rough

Device: 2 Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Is this still an issue with the latest firmware? I was about to get a glo, but all my content would be calibre epubs so I'm worried the slow page turning might be a deal breaker.
I've had no slowness problem with the latest firmware on my kobo touch.

Anyway, in my experience, a bad epub can be slow with any firmware.
A bad epub is an epub that internally have a bad structure of the text data.
A bad structure of text data mean to have few too-big files.

But when this happen, you can always reconvert the bad epub to a better (and very fast) epub using calibre and changing the "Split file larger than" parameter from it's default value (260Kb) to the minimum value of 25Kb.
I really hate slow page turn, so I reconvert any epub that is slow.

I love my kobo
MisterMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
slow page turning
Look at the dates on the previous posts - they are all talking about earlier firmware releases. I have a Glo and a mini, and slow paging is simply not an issue with epubs.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #39
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Look at the dates on the previous posts - they are all talking about earlier firmware releases. I have a Glo and a mini, and slow paging is simply not an issue with epubs.
I have a touch, and, with the latest released firmware, have NEVER seen a page turn that takes over 3 seconds, as the OP claimed in the comparison table - except for one weird book, out of very many.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #40
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I've never seen a page turn that takes one second.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #41
coongoola
coongoola began at the beginning.

Device: eb07
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I've never seen a page turn that takes one second.
I have a Kobo touch with firmware release 2.1.5 ( 10/12/12 ) and my page turns are just over 1 second. Timed ! If my touch was 3 seconds I'd toss it in the bin through frustration. I have 299 epubs on my reader and some on the card and have no page turn issues at all. Love my Kobo

Pat
coongoola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
touch