Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
janicew
Enthusiast
janicew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire
So, I have this in both corners and never really worried or gave it a thought. My K3 is almost a year old, but was purchased at Best Buy, not Amazon. Is that an issue with them? And is it really worth it? Won't the replacement be likely to do the same thing? How many times might you go through this?

It wasn't bothering me until I read this thread. LOL! But now I wonder.....
janicew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, if you replace it, the new one will have a new battery. Even if you end up getting cracks in the new one, you're already ahead by a year's battery life.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by janicew View Post
So, I have this in both corners and never really worried or gave it a thought. My K3 is almost a year old, but was purchased at Best Buy, not Amazon. Is that an issue with them? And is it really worth it? Won't the replacement be likely to do the same thing? How many times might you go through this?

It wasn't bothering me until I read this thread. LOL! But now I wonder.....
The only reason you may wish to get it replaced is that it could have an adverse effect on the resale value of your K3. But as far as its functionality goes, no, none.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Mine and my wife's K3s both had the hairline crack and they replaced them both. It's a hardware defect, so they should replace it.

So far neither replacements have gotten the crack (I wonder if they reinforced the bezel on the newer ones).
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
So far neither replacements have gotten the crack (I wonder if they reinforced the bezel on the newer ones).
I assume that when Cathie's says she got her kindle Christmas last year, she means Christmas 2011, which would make it less than a month old.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't worry about it. It's a stress fracture due to the sharp corner of the bezel. It's purely cosmetic and it won't spread. It certainly won't do the electronics or the screen of the Kindle any damage at all. Amazon should certainly replace it for you, though, if you wish.
-1 for saying it's not a problem. It is a problem and needs to be dealt with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
-1 for saying it's not a problem. It is a problem and needs to be dealt with.
I didn't say that it wasn't a problem; I said that it wouldn't get any worse, and wouldn't do your Kindle any harm. As has been said, Amazon will replace your Kindle if you wish. Please take the time to read posts properly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
I assume that when Cathie's says she got her kindle Christmas last year, she means Christmas 2011, which would make it less than a month old.
oops! sorry I wasn't clear on that. My K3 was a present from Christmas 2010.
I spoke with a rep and they are happy to replace my K3 - for the cost of $65.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
oops! sorry I wasn't clear on that. My K3 was a present from Christmas 2010.
I spoke with a rep and they are happy to replace my K3 - for the cost of $65.
For that much, I'd go for a Kindle Touch instead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
cathie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For that much, I'd go for a Kindle Touch instead.
I would tend to agree, but I dislike touch screens. Old fashioned of me I know.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #26
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
For that much I'd go with the basic Kindle 4 (non-touch), especially if you don't take many notes. For me the keyboard is a waste.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
My Kindle 3 now has a crack. It's a bout 1 1/2 years old.

Functionality is not affected, but my sense of 'correctness' is. I don't like any kind of cosmetic wear on anything I own, and try to keep everything in as perfect condition as possible.

I have no current plans to visit the U.S., and I'm reluctant to have anything shipped to and from Peru.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
cathie
Connoisseur

After much thought I decided to keep my K3 despite the crack. I purchased a skin to protect and keep any dirt & dust out. Perfect.
Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions.
Now if only I could solve the problem of the fading letters on my keyboard. Does anyone have any suggestions? And no I am not going to call customer services to return it for that. To be fair it is normal wear and tear. I LOVE my K3. And I don't want to part with it for any length of time.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #29
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
After much thought I decided to keep my K3 despite the crack. I purchased a skin to protect and keep any dirt & dust out. Perfect.
Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions.
Now if only I could solve the problem of the fading letters on my keyboard. Does anyone have any suggestions? And no I am not going to call customer services to return it for that. To be fair it is normal wear and tear. I LOVE my K3. And I don't want to part with it for any length of time.
Probably a clear overlay over the keyboard section of the kindle. Not sure if any skins have that?
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm not sure how legible or durable the letters are on them, but you could try a silicone skin like these ones that slip over the entire Kindle, keyboard and all:

M-Edge M-Skin for Kindle 3.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote