Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Install Astro file manager first, it can install apps from your sd card. If you can't fine it online I'll post a link when I get home.
Thanks Jeff! This worked. I knew it must be something simple. The files were already there, on my SD card, waiting to be discovered and installed.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
Szara
Book Junkie
Szara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Hi Jeff, Thanks so much for your apps and guides! I got my Vox yesterday and you've been the most helpful place I've found by far!

Some background before I ask my question: I've been fiddling with software and settings for about ten years - no matter what the device or OS - and have no problem trying new things. I'd say I'm an "intermediate" user, so I'm not completely clueless.

That said, but I can't figure out exactly how to uninstall the apps that came loaded on the Vox. I'm rooted, I've got Astro installed but whenever I try to uninstall an app or a stub it tells me it can't be done. I know you said in another thread you were working on a guide or a script for this, but a nudge in the right direction would be helpful. What am I missing?
Szara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Jefftheworld, thank you very much for putting together some really great apps. I am new to Android based equipment...and am slowly ramping up on the learning curve.

Thanks again.

P.S. Thanks to all in this forum that have added their opinions on which software to download, etc. I now am protected with a virus application as a result of sought out opinions and links. Whew....!

My Vox is running smooth and with no (thankfully) glitches that others are reporting. I wonder if some persons are not leaving their Vox's totally alone during the initial setup routine, and, with all that important firmware swap out and updates going on. This could be a reason that some had so many problems, whereby others have had little, or no problems. I have read many threads and reviews where the User was excited to use the Vox, and thought to explore it while the setup was going on in the supposedly background.....who knows if this has caused so many of the reported firmware related problems?!?

Perhaps Kobo should have had a paper notice laying on top of the Vox...stating that it should not be touched in any way while the setup is in progress other than entering data into the masks where called for. It might be a good idea for any future shipments. Not everybody is in any way, computer literate. I had an older fellow totally uncomfortable with the way you interacted via the Touch Screen, while I was showing him all the great features of the Vox. I could see this User mucking away with the product as the setup was going through its paces. Just a thought.... He actually (after my showing him the unit at a coffee bar) went right to a store to make a purchase. I could also this this fellow taking it back next, if not the same day, because of mishandling during setup, with possible problems because of it. This opinion might have merit for Kobo...or that I'm way off base. Who knows? Just my thoughts put to type.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 11-10-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #19
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szara View Post
Hi Jeff, Thanks so much for your apps and guides! I got my Vox yesterday and you've been the most helpful place I've found by far!

Some background before I ask my question: I've been fiddling with software and settings for about ten years - no matter what the device or OS - and have no problem trying new things. I'd say I'm an "intermediate" user, so I'm not completely clueless.

That said, but I can't figure out exactly how to uninstall the apps that came loaded on the Vox. I'm rooted, I've got Astro installed but whenever I try to uninstall an app or a stub it tells me it can't be done. I know you said in another thread you were working on a guide or a script for this, but a nudge in the right direction would be helpful. What am I missing?
Posting that tutorial right now!
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
Great packages! As there are many packages useful for rooted Vox only, why not include the Gingerbreak app as well? v1.20 worked perfectly fine for me (it took <1 minute to get rooted), without any issues.

Also, I find the app DroidSshd (officially free, can be obtained from the code.google site) a very useful app - this is an ssh server, which will let you do a secured shell connection from other devices (Windows desktop etc.) to Vox. I find it much easier to use a remote device keyboard for hacking on Vox, than its touch screen.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
Great packages! As there are many packages useful for rooted Vox only, why not include the Gingerbreak app as well? v1.20 worked perfectly fine for me (it took <1 minute to get rooted), without any issues.

Also, I find the app DroidSshd (officially free, can be obtained from the code.google site) a very useful app - this is an ssh server, which will let you do a secured shell connection from other devices (Windows desktop etc.) to Vox. I find it much easier to use a remote device keyboard for hacking on Vox, than its touch screen.
I just use adbwireless for gaining remote shell, and I have hacker's keyboard for doing anything on the device itself.

I might put together some sort of advanced user hacker pack, I suppose.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #22
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
guys, make sure you have the "allow installation of apps from third party sources" box ticked. Even so, when you click the apk, select "ap manager"as opposed to "install".
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #23
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Vox
Thanks!

And thanks to Jeff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
guys, make sure you have the "allow installation of apps from third party sources" box ticked. Even so, when you click the apk, select "ap manager"as opposed to "install".
trek790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #24
DomG
DomG began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
HI! (Im sorry im a newbie to Vox and ereaders I was trying to transfer some aps and book i downloaded on my pc to my vox, but i cant see them on the vox. Should i place them in a specific folder? I created a new folder on the vox, but i cant see it in the vox window when on the pc.

I will get Astro File Manager later today, will i be able to make transfers with that?
DomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomG View Post
I will get Astro File Manager later today, will i be able to make transfers with that?
Yes, Astro will do it nicely. You can also install from Dropbox. There are a couple of Dropbox threads for guidance.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #26
DomG
DomG began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Thank you, i will check Astro ans Dropbox out as soon as i get connected to a wifi.
DomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
Tried that and it didn't work.
Moolyn:

The Vox creates and maintains a directory called /xx/sdcard which made me crazy for a while because the SD card I installed was showing up as "EXTSDCARD' or external SD card and I did not see it right away. I found I was always looking for, and not finding, the files I wanted in the wrong place.

Also, many of the apps only look in the 'sdcard' directory and don't seem to be allow you to change directories. I have been unable to play an avi file on my extsdcard because I cannot get the meridian program to search for it in the right place.

4Foot
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Netflix

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your work, it's awesome to see how fast things are going.
Just wanted to let you know that the Netflix in the package here doesn't work anymore, because it asks for an update.
Xda apparently has update-disabled netflix apks here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...97&postcount=2 But the 1.5 version still asks me for an update...

Hiero

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-14-2011 at 04:58 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #29
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Foot View Post
Moolyn:

The Vox creates and maintains a directory called /xx/sdcard which made me crazy for a while because the SD card I installed was showing up as "EXTSDCARD' or external SD card and I did not see it right away. I found I was always looking for, and not finding, the files I wanted in the wrong place.

Also, many of the apps only look in the 'sdcard' directory and don't seem to be allow you to change directories. I have been unable to play an avi file on my extsdcard because I cannot get the meridian program to search for it in the right place.

4Foot
Thanks, 4Foot! I never had any problem locating my SD card. Installing Astro File manager first, as Jeff suggested, solved the problem of installing the other apps for me.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #30
jefftheworld
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your work, it's awesome to see how fast things are going.
Just wanted to let you know that the Netflix in the package here doesn't work anymore, because it asks for an update.
Xda apparently has update-disabled netflix apks here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...97&postcount=2 But the 1.5 version still asks me for an update...

Hiero
I'll try that out and throw it in the .zip as soon as I get home!

Cheers, dude!