Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post

For newer books look around for DRM free ebooks whenever possible.

Calibre can convert almost any ebook format into lrf or epub which is compatible with your reader. So as long as it's DRM-free it will work. It will also download the New York Times or Washington Post among other news sources to your reader every day.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot (sorry!) what's DRM mean?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Digital Restrictions Management. Basically a means to ensure that you can't use the purchased content the way you want.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/DRM
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #19
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do I know the books are DRM free?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
Okay, when I buy a book from anything other than the Sony website (i.e., fictionwise, books on board) which format do I get- ereader or adobe, and what's the difference? If I download the Adobe will it read all funky on my reader?
Adobe PDF is the format you will most likely want. Any other format will need to have DRM stripped then converted into a format the Sony can read. Assuming you are talking about Adobe reflow then yes it will look a little funky. I read a lot of pdf books and have gotten used to the formatting.

Quote:
How do I know the books are DRM free?
If you are shopping at Sony website then all books have DRM. Right now DRM cannot be stripped off Sony store books. If you are purchasing from fictionwise, look for books that say multi-format. These books do not have DRM and come in many formats. You can then buy lit, mobi or rtf then convert them to either lrf or epub via calibre. If a book on fictionwise does not say multi-format then the book has DRM.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #21
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

[QUOTE=grooks;432137]Adobe PDF is the format you will most likely want. Any other format will need to have DRM stripped then converted into a format the Sony can read. Assuming you are talking about Adobe reflow then yes it will look a little funky. I read a lot of pdf books and have gotten used to the formatting.

If you are shopping at Sony website then all books have DRM. Right now DRM cannot be stripped off Sony store books. If you are purchasing from fictionwise, look for books that say multi-format. These books do not have DRM and come in many formats. You can then buy lit, mobi or rtf then convert them to either lrf or epub via calibre. If a book on fictionwise does not say multi-format then the book has DRM.[/QUOTE

How do you know about this stuff? Is there a cute little book to read (cuz if so I'm gettin it)?

Okay sooo...

1. I can buy books in other formats and have it converted over with Calibre if say, there's a book I want and it doesn't come in Adobe.

2. How do you strip off the DRM, just by having Calibre convert it over?

I feel like a two year old learning to talk, lol!! Thank you for being super patient and really awesome. I don't know how much of it is the BLUE reader or not but I'll take it !
Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #22
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
EDIT: deleted my dumb message
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #23
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

i deleted my last thingy-nevermind

Last edited by emonti8384; 04-19-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #24
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

Okay so I've been playing around with a few things... Calibre is absolutely awesome! I think I'm starting to get it. The only thing I don't understand is how to strip off the DRM -where do you go to do that?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Okay so I've been playing around with a few things... Calibre is absolutely awesome! I think I'm starting to get it. The only thing I don't understand is how to strip off the DRM -where do you go to do that?
Sorry, calibre doesn't strip DRM.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:58 AM   #26
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Well, as much as I would like to help you, stripping DRM out of an eBook file is illegal, and explaining how to do illegal things is forbidden in this forum, for good reasons...

Although I support this forum policy, there's nothing I can do to prevent receiving emails sent to dpierron (at) gmail (dot) com

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #27
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

Haha! Sorry everyone! I went to re-format something and Calibre said I couldn't do it w/o using 3rd party to strip off the DRM. Didn't know DRM stripping was illegal. Oops!

Last edited by emonti8384; 04-20-2009 at 06:58 AM.