Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
A few tips, please?

I just got my Sony reader (love it) but I was wondering.....

Where to get books other than the Sony ebook store?
How to use Calibre?

I'm don't really know anything about this stuff and was hoping if someone had a minute they could explain it? Thank you so much!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I don't know what genre of books you like, but I mainly use the Sony Site, and also BooksOnBoard. I think I downloaded one free book from Fictionwise...but I try to stay away from them because their selection is limited. I also got several romance books FREE from Eharlequin. If you go to the wiki page on this website, there is a list of stores.

As for Calibre, I haven't used it so I don't have any helpful tips there.

Enjoy your reader. Mine is pretty new too and I LOVE IT!!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post

How to use Calibre?

I'm don't really know anything about this stuff and was hoping if someone had a minute they could explain it? Thank you so much!
Congrats on your new reader and welcome to MobileRead make sure you let us know what you like to read so we can give even more suggestions. If you have questions, just jump in and ask. Someone will chime in and answer and /or point you to a thread with the answer or more information.

I have a Sony 505 and I am new to this also.

I haven't ventured into using Calibre yet.

Here is what I know so far... The Sony 505 can read lrf, lrx (Sony store format with DRM), ADE (Adobe Digital Editions), Adobe pdf, and epub.

You can download (check the blue bar on top -ebooks) the all free ebooks from this site. They are much better formatted than the free classics from Sony. The members here have spent a lot of time making sure that the ebooks are beautifully formatted for our eReaders. Just get the lrf and epub versions.

Also, check out the deals and freebies thread for other free ebooks - some from the authors on this site.

The Wiki is your friend..... check out the information that is all about your Reader, ebook formats, ebook sites, and even how to get library books. (see "Wiki" at the top of this page)

Feedbooks is also a great site.

We have many authors that have generously given us some of their books. Check out the Authors' Corner and the signature line of this site's posters.

If I haven't got this right hopefully someone will come along and correct me
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11052

...should get you started. Welcome aboard!

Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I see you are a resident of Ohio.

Do some research to see if you can get a library card to clevnet, cleveland's online public library. They are one of the first public libraries to offer epub ebooks and the Sony Reader is the first e-ink device to read drm epub.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you soooo much! I'm an idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff. I just like to read, ya know? Love my reader (so far), haven't had any problems... kinda checkin out the prs-700 but for my needs the 505 seems to be doin a pretty good job.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is the link to the Clevenet site. You can look around and see if you qualify. If you do, they have an awesome collection of ebooks. Click on "emedia" and you can do a search for books you are interested in.

http://www.cpl.org/index.php?q=node/90
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Thank you soooo much! I'm an idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff. I just like to read, ya know? Love my reader (so far), haven't had any problems... kinda checkin out the prs-700 but for my needs the 505 seems to be doin a pretty good job.
I wouldn't worry about your intelligence level. Since you purchased the *BLUE* Sony Reader, your intellect will skyrocket just by holding it.

p.s. Be on the lookout for members of the opposite sex hitting on you as the *BLUE* Reader also makes you more attractive.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I wouldn't worry about your intelligence level. Since you purchased the *BLUE* Sony Reader, your intellect will skyrocket just by holding it.

p.s. Be on the lookout for members of the opposite sex hitting on you as the *BLUE* Reader also makes you more attractive.
Don't tell that to my wife. I have the blue 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Calibre is great software. I would highly recommend installing it(http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download).

If you like older books, there are many free public domain books floating around the internet. Try manybooks.net, feedbooks.com and munseys.com to start. They are all searchable by title, author and genre.

For newer books look around for DRM free ebooks whenever possible.

Calibre can convert almost any ebook format into lrf or epub which is compatible with your reader. So as long as it's DRM-free it will work. It will also download the New York Times or Washington Post among other news sources to your reader every day.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Evin
Evin began at the beginning.

Device: Red Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have the blue, why do you have an avatar of the red? Is this a little "prs envy"?
Evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #12
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

Wow thank you guys (and girls) so much. I had no idea where to start looking, and I'm the only person I know who has a reader. I bought mine @ Borders, was a little pricey but worth every penny. It's just weird cux when I look @ the Sony site all the books they have there are kinda expensive; like if a new title was released they have the price for the hardback (which I think is kinda loopy but what do I know?). I read so much that it becomes quite expensive and every little bit helps! Oh yeah- I got an account @ books on board and they offered me %32 off 1 book because I'm a new member if that helps anybody

Last edited by emonti8384; 04-17-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
then why the jeepers do you have an avatar of a red one??

ETA: oops, Evin already commented. His reply is much better than mine.

Last edited by AbFabGab; 04-17-2009 at 05:07 PM.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Wow thank you guys (and girls) so much. I had no idea where to start looking, and I'm the only person I know who has a reader. I bought mine @ Borders, was a little pricey but worth every penny. It's just weird cux when I look @ the Sony site all the books they have there are kinda expensive; like if a new title was released they have the price for the hardback (which I think is kinda loopy but what do I know?). I read so much that it becomes quite expensive and every little bit helps! Oh yeah- I got an account @ books on board and they offered me %32 off 1 book because I'm a new member if that helps anybody

I've found that on the Sony website, that new releases that would normally come out in Hardback, tend to be priced around $11.99 and paperbacks around $6. I shop around. I compared BooksonBoard to Sony and Sony still ended up being cheaper, except when BooksonBoard offers the reward program. I also got a 32% off coupon from them too. I bought five (mass market paperback) books from them for $23. I plan to get alot of FREE books from my library to offset the books I have to pay for. And I've downloaded quite a few free books as well. I think I've already downloaded two free books this week right from the Sony website.

I'm pretty new to this too, so I'm still exploring various websites trying to find cheap prices.

What type of books do you like to read.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

Okay, when I buy a book from anything other than the Sony website (i.e., fictionwise, books on board) which format do I get- ereader or adobe, and what's the difference? If I download the Adobe will it read all funky on my reader?

Last edited by emonti8384; 04-18-2009 at 09:38 AM.