Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Ō, what to do with it?

Bear with me as a noob in these matters.
I have converted a book with the Japanese letters Ō and ō from mobi to epub and lrf with Calibre. Unfortunately the book shows up perfectly in Calibre, Firefox and Sigil - just not in the Sony Reader. The letters show up as "?" in epub and as blanks in lrf. (I have the same problem with the name Žižek in a different book.)

Is there a simple way to handle this problem that is available for me as a noob? I do not like to flash the firmware or to learn programming just for this book. Usually I would try to avoid these issues by converting it to pdf, unfortunately as the book also contains maps the results of converting it with Calibre to pdf are somewhat unsatisfactory.

I always understood that lrf-files also include required fonts. Why doesn't it work with this file?

Thanks in advance for your help.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
LRFs/EPUBs support embedded fonts. PDF with embedded font is also an option.
Calibre should be capable of doing it, afaik, but I don't know the details since I don't use it.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur
Xaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1
I would also go with epub and embedded fonts. I've done this to get Polish chars working before I flashed the firmware. I wrote a little guide for myself, but it's mostly the post at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61587 adapted for Arial.
Xaphiosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
kartu, Xaphiosis, thanks very much for your help. I managed to create a usable pdf for this book by converting it into rtf in Calibre and by printing it into a pdf after adjusting the book in MS Word. That's just a very clunky workaround, though.
I'll try to work with the solution you have linked to in your post, Xaphiosis.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote