Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 AM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxacto View Post
I using Calibre 1.32 for Mac. Where is the Code View? It ain't hitting T?
@blackxacto Should be, unless the kb short got changed - see first attachment

Or you can put it in the tool bar see second attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	121782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	121783  

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-17-2014 at 12:24 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
What is it with Calibre? I'm hitting T and no code view. Their is a tiny INSPECTOR window, but not the Code View I have seen. In Calibre, I've hit Command+T, Command+T+TAB, TAB, I stood on my head and hit T. No code view.

What do ebook designer's use to create and to open ebooks. Calibre is so WANKY. And then Sigil is going away I see. What the heck is there to do this professionally?
Sigil is NOT going away.
It is not progressing further at this time... Not quite the same.

WANKY is your calibre install or OS misbehaving.

Unfortunately, I have not figured where (the file name) the editor window positions have been saved in the configuration folder.
I can say that the editor behaves well on XP, W7 (x64) and Ubuntu Linux
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #33
blackxacto
Enthusiast
blackxacto began at the beginning.

Device: iMac 10,1, OSX10.9
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83082658@N00/13907923534/

I see nothing in Calibre for Mac like what preference you are seeing. Have I hit some interface conversion I wasn't supposed to?
blackxacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83082658@N00/13907923534/

I see nothing in Calibre for Mac like what preference you are seeing. Have I hit some interface conversion I wasn't supposed to?
See attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	121784  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
What is it with Calibre? I'm hitting T and no code view. Their is a tiny INSPECTOR window, but not the Code View I have seen. In Calibre, I've hit Command+T, Command+T+TAB, TAB, I stood on my head and hit T. No code view.
Well, given that Calibre is really still simply a wonderful book catalog/library tool, and not a commercial production tool, it's not surprising that not everything is what is expected.

Quote:
What do ebook designer's use to create and to open ebooks. Calibre is so WANKY. And then Sigil is going away I see. What the heck is there to do this professionally?
Most of us use Sigil, not Calibre. Some of the folks who post here will use Calibre with a script, to create a base ePUB from something like an odt file, a Word file, or a PDF, and then clean it up in Sigil. We don't use Calibre, in my shop, for other than cataloguing; if we need a PDF converted, we use Abbyy, and then hand-clean the html, and thence to Sigil.

Some book designers, who get paid for their work, use Jutoh or AWP. I suppose using AWP isn't bad if you can then subsequently fix the ePUB's HTML, and in that line of thought, I suppose the same can be said for Jutoh. Jutoh also has a MOBI creation function. I don't know how far Julian has taken the professional-level Jutoh, in terms of being able to make professional-type books, as opposed to something akin to Scrivener ePUB & Mobi-output.

Some use online tools, like Word2HTML, and code from there. Some even take shortcuts like uploading a Word file to NookPress, taking the resulting ePUB, and fixing it--also using Sigil. One way or the other, most people being paid to create books have Sigil used in their bag of tricks somewhere. I understand that some of the people on this forum are now playing with Calibre's editor, but from my (admittedly very quick) review, it's not yet Sigil.

This is actually a Sigil forum. Given that most of your questions focus on basic book-making, HTML, CSS, etc., I think you'd get more suitable help in the ePUB or Workshop forums. I'd also recommend that you take Pablo's tutorial on ePUB (in the Wiki), and the basic HTML/CSS classes on W3schools, so that you can come to terms with some of the fundamentals about which you are asking. Most of what you're asking about really has nothing to do with Sigil itself.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #36
blackxacto
Enthusiast
blackxacto began at the beginning.

Device: iMac 10,1, OSX10.9
Thank you for your response, Hitch. I may have a few questions from it, but will look up them and get back if need.
blackxacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hitch, what is still missing from calibre ebook-edit?

I think the last real issue discussed was spellcheck? Which just got finished and is in the latest release. Of course, I imagine it still needs lots of polishing up.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:56 AM   #38
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Most of what you're asking about really has nothing to do with Sigil itself.

Hitch
like that fact that your "T" key works different to every else's

you should get that debugged somehow

PS in calibre, you press T while in the main window, with a single book entry highlighted. you don't e.g. press it while you are in the book viewer.

if you still don't get it , pop over to calibre editor forum & ask for a picture guide.

Last edited by cybmole; 04-20-2014 at 01:59 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #39
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Right click on the title and choose edit book.

I don't know how a Mac works, but there is a program edit-book in the calibre2 folder, in case you want to reach it directly without loading it into calibre.

Make sure the version is up to date. This is a function introduced in the last few months.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #40
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Hitch, what is still missing from calibre ebook-edit?

I think the last real issue discussed was spellcheck? Which just got finished and is in the latest release. Of course, I imagine it still needs lots of polishing up.
Though I'm not Hitch, for me one big item is the lack of paste clips. I've got a dozen or so that I use heavily, for things such as surrounding a selection with specific tags, case changes, inserting comments or break-points, and the like.

I think IIRC that paste clips are on Kovid's to-do list, so we'll see.

After that, it's just the energy barrier to learning a different way of doing things, different ways of handling pesky issues like named entities, and so on.

Sometimes, up to a point, it's a case of "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't know."

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #41
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer using Phrase Express because its paste function can be keyboard driven, rather than up and down a clip list. You can do capitalization too.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #42
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I prefer using Phrase Express because its paste function can be keyboard driven, rather than up and down a clip list. You can do capitalization too.
Yes, Phrase Express looks good. I wonder if there's a Linux application that is similar? Hmmm.

And of course, Sigil's clips are keyboard driven as well, in the sense that you can press ctrl-alt-n to paste the nth item in the clip list.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Though I'm not Hitch, for me one big item is the lack of paste clips. I've got a dozen or so that I use heavily, for things such as surrounding a selection with specific tags, case changes, inserting comments or break-points, and the like.

I think IIRC that paste clips are on Kovid's to-do list, so we'll see.
Yes, this is part of it.

Quote:
After that, it's just the energy barrier to learning a different way of doing things, different ways of handling pesky issues like named entities, and so on.

Sometimes, up to a point, it's a case of "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't know."

Albert
At this moment in time--and this could change--I don't see any advantage yet to using the Calibre editor. Kovid certainly can code like the devil himself, in terms of speed. But right this second, IMHO, (and, again, this is based on scant usage),the Sigil editor still works for us. And I am rather attached to my clips. As Albert says: the devil you know.

@mrmikel:

Well, that may well explain why you seem to appear on every single thread in this forum telling people to switch to the Calibre editor. Are you working on that with Kovid, et al?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #44
mrmikel
Color me gone

No just pounding away at testing it. I am nowhere near as talented as you and your gang, so the active preview screen got me. Now fumble fingered me can see that class="cemter" isn't working! I also bring in large html badly formed chunks and have to cut them up. Sigil kinda drags at that too.

I can take my time cutting up the ogre's poorly formed remains instead of having to do it right away in order to save it. With missing paragraph tags etc, the keyboard shortcuts appeal to me too. Kovid's book check works faster and since my junk is so bad, that matters to me.

Actually once the thing is civilized Sigil is just great. That is what I did with one of last one's I worked on, is take it over into Sigil, mostly for the spell check.

The main reason I am suggesting is that people say, why can't Sigil do this or this is wrong, when will it be fixed? The answer is you are SOL fella (or gal). Simply Out of Luck. No development is going to happen and I can't blame John for a number of reasons. I'd just as soon move on to a program where someone can respond to my concerns, one way or the other. But to make a living, nope. Calibre is getting better and better, but bet my business on it, NO.

That is why is am still using Alpha4V8, a DOS program to keep track of my income, expenses and parts purchases, even if I have to run it in a virtual XP machine under Windows7.