Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Question TXT to RTF

I have a few TXT files that have text wrapping breaks (paragraph marks) at the end of every single line. When I change font size, every line ends abruptly in the wrong place.

Is there a way, using MS Word, to remove those breaks without losing the correct paragraph marks?

Last edited by Michele; 11-06-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's the process I'm using...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0958#post40958
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a good suggestion, but mine don't have double paragraph marks when a real paragraph ends. It just moves on to the next line.

Whoops, my bad. It does -- sometimes.

Last edited by Michele; 11-06-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

How big are these documents? Perhaps you could add double-paragraph marks?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #5
Michele
Addict

Heh, I thought of that, but they're full novels.
Advert
Old 11-07-2006, 01:11 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So how does it indicate a paragraph if it isn't a double ¶?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #7
heavyB
heavyB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Treo 600
I'm unaware of a solution for Microsoft Word, but I address this problem with a freely downloaded app.

http://www.textpad.com/download/index.html

Select all text, make sure the wordwrap feature is selected and right click on the selected text and select "reformat". This changes all single linefeeds to spaces and leaves in place double linefeeds.
heavyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 AM   #8
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
So how does it indicate a paragraph if it isn't a double ¶?
Still single cr? Something like this??

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx¶
xxxxxxxxxxx¶
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx¶
Old 11-07-2006, 06:48 AM   #9
rcs1000
Gadget freak
rcs1000 began at the beginning.

No, no, no, no, no...

I've written a simple .NET application that converts to RTF, allows justified text, various fonts, and even fills in author names and titles for you. All works very well. You can download it from this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8388

Remember to get the one at the bottom of the discussion!
rcs1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Michele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
Still single cr? Something like this??

xxxxxxxxxxx¶
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx¶
Yep, like that. The converters don't pick up the implied paragraph, of course.

Last edited by Michele; 11-07-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That would be tough to catch programatically....
Old 11-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #12
tcv
Addict

I was thinking about this further and I wonder if you should focus less on eliminating the breaks and more on the size of the type? Perhaps if you can find a happy font size in RTF, you can read the book as if it had the proper ¶s?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
Michele
Addict

I've found the solution!!

1. I do a replace all .¶ with .¶¶
2. Replace all ."¶ with ."¶¶
3. Then I applied the fix to remove the single ¶
4. Then I replace all ¶¶ with ¶

There will be an occasional case when a line ends in a period and a new paragraph isn't intended, but for the majority of the cases, it provides proper paragraph breaks.

rcs1000, your program was helpful with step 3. Is there any chance you could add the other steps to your program for cases like mine. I've run into this lots of times.

I just pulled out my dusty old programmer's brain and asked myself how I know where the paragraphs are intended.

Last edited by Michele; 11-07-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
Michele
Addict

Thanks so much to all of you for helping me think this through. I've already tossed several files like this, but now if I'm lucky enough to find them again, I'll be able to use them.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Excellent solution -- it's always something simple, you just have to figure out which simple thing to do.