Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
[GUI Plugin] Library Splitter

[GUI Plugin] Library Splitter

Summary:

Front-end to Calibre's Copy/Move Book functions. Automatically copies or moves books from the current library to a target library based on each book's metadata value in a '#target_library' Custom Column.

This should help in splitting huge libraries. If you update the '#target_library' Custom Column for each book, select as many books as you wish, and execute a Move with it, it will churn away at the rate that Calibre normally takes to move books on your PC. Often it is about 2,000/hour. No human intervention during the time it is running as long as you have dealt with the special Calibre message about Custom Columns differing between the Source and the Target Libraries.

Documentation:

Extensive ToolTips for each area and widget in LS, plus the attached overview.

Recommended (Almost Required) Companion Plug-in: 'Job Spy'

JS+ has a 'Metadata' GUI Tool for Bulk Editing 'Comments/Long Text/Short Text/Plain Text' Custom Columns. Standard Calibre lacks this ability as of its version 3.13. Also, JS+ has a GUI Tool to eliminate standard Calibre messages related to 'missing Custom Columns' when copying or moving books among Libraries. See the attached overview.

Recommended (Optional) Companion Plug-in: 'Multi-Column Search'

The MCS plug-in has a Tab used to update Custom Columns for books that are both "found" and then selected by you. That would be an easy way to update the #target_library Custom Column while simultaneously using Multi-Column Search to partition your libraries.

Requires Minimum Calibre Version
: 6.0.0

Version History:
Spoiler:

Version 1.0.7 - 2023-02-05 Qt.core.
Version 1.0.6 - 2022-04-14 Qt6 Compatibility.
Version 1.0.4 - 2020-12-23 Miscellany.
Version 1.0.3 - 2020-07-30 Qt tweaks for small displays.
Version 1.0.2 - 2019-12-30 Technical changes after Python 3.8 testing with Calibre 4.99.2
Version 1.0.1 - 2019-04-26 Python 3 compatibility.
Version 1.0.0 - 2017-11-25 Initial release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ls_overview_version_1.jpg
Views:	2081
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	160228  
Attached Files
File Type: zip library_splitter.zip (11.3 KB, 20332 views)

Last edited by DaltonST; 02-05-2023 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Version 1.0.7
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For future use.
Advert
Old 12-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
DaltonST,

The plugin works as asked for. But I have one issue that is beyond my grasp to get around. And it's maddening. I added the custom field as desired in the documentation. I changed the description a bit, but I think that's inconsequential. And I checked it in the column creation window (which unchecks itself and sorts the newest field to the end at close EVERY TIME, which is maddening problem 1). I even remembered to go into the tweaks and add it to the metadata_edit_custom_column_order sequence. And when I went into the editor for the first item to first copy (and then move) for testing, well everything went hunky dory. I had created the empty libraries at the desired location before hand. And it just worked. Tried it with others on a single basis. Worked. Set it up to send one book to one sub-category library and one to another. And it worked. Then, feeling comfortable, I selected multiple books, brought up the editor to fill the column to then send them to a sub-cat library and ... NO TARGET LIBRARY NAMES field to edit.

Thus, I spent the better part of two hours going in and out of Calibre trying various things to get that field into the multiple editor. Tried changing from two columns to one column in the tweaks. Nope. At one point, I tried deleting a field since I might have met a limit I wasn't aware of. That took a half-hour to recover from. I ran maintenance. Nothing worked. I can't edit that field in the Multi-editor. Sigh. I'll feel like an idiot when somebody points out where it was hidden. But, I'm willing to take the blow to my ego, or maybe my eyesight. Here are some documentation graphics (a couple are rough to meet size limitations) see attached.

That's it. The Splitter works. It WILL do the job when I get the type to sub-categorize the column to say where they will go. And then I will be able to let it loose and go watch a ball game. And have supper. And nap/sleep a few hours away. True automation. If I don't have to do it one entry at a time.

THANKS, GM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17-12-10 09_44_16 [GS]-calibre - Preferences - Add your own columns.png
Views:	839
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	160545   Click image for larger version

Name:	17-12-10 09_40_55 [GS]-Edit Metadata.png
Views:	844
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	160546   Click image for larger version

Name:	17-12-10 09_46_51 [GS]-calibre - Preferences - Tweaks.png
Views:	799
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	160547   Click image for larger version

Name:	17-12-10 09_42_45 [GS]-Edit meta information.png
Views:	750
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	160548  
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
DaltonST
Deviser

The Original Post has an example image attached. The lower right corner has the answer to your problem, which is a particular 'Metadata' GUI Tool in Job Spy.

DaltonST
Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

DaltonST,

Actually tried that during the experiment. Copied the target folder with the metadata of the sub-category library. Back to Calibre. Selected four articles. Went to Job Spy and clicked on the metadata tool menu and then the last item to Bulk update the column in question. Response:

calibre, version 3.13.0
ERROR: JS+ GUI Tool: No Comments/Long-Text Custom Column Was Selected.

Went back to doing THAT grouping, which only had 34 articles in it and manually did the update, one-by-one, then used Library Splitter to move them, only realizing that once I had the books selected through a query, I could just have used the regular built-in move routine, KNOWING the articles were unique in the end SC library. What Splitter DOES do, is answer the usual questions with no me sitting around waiting to do it. And IF I could get the tool you indicate WILL do the job to work, I have AutoHotkey all primed to copy the names of the sub libraries onto the clipboard with various hotkey combinations that make sense to me. I could fill a screenful or seventy easily this way, THEN let Splitter do it's magic while I watch a basketball game. Heaven-sent.

BUT the tool you have built to get around this BAFFLING inability to mass edit THAT column when every other column I got and the ones I added, all edit without question thanks to the tweak. What is it about THIS column that defies auto-adding to the MASS editor. It's there in the regular one-at-a-time editor. I know there's a reason. But that reason suffers from actual experience. Whatever it is.

Would search and replace work? I have eight sub-libraries currently. I could gin up a search and replace query, I think. I use one to store the incoming article/book original title on import into a column called #originaltitle. Would it be possible to insert a value into the #target_library_names column from S&R? It would be easy enough then to multi-select, e, third tab and pick the right saved query from the list and hit OK. Repeat for each category. Then Splitter and watch a basketball double-header and get a good night's sleep.

GM
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
DaltonST
Deviser

Quote:
ERROR: JS+ GUI Tool: No Comments/Long-Text Custom Column Was Selected.
Clearly you did not click a cell in the Target Library column to "tell" that GUI Tool which column you wanted to update. I suspect that you selected a bunch of books, and paid no attention to where your cursor was just before you invoked that GUI Tool. The name of the GUI Tool includes the phrase "Selected Column". That implies that you must select some cell within a column for it to be "selected".

There is absolutely no logical reason that I can surmise for Bulk Metadata Edit to not include the ability to mass-change Comments/Long-Text/Short Text/Plain Text Custom Columns. Nevertheless, it does not. Hence, my GUI Tool to add the missing functionality to Calibre. I built that for me, since I use it frequently for Short Texts.

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 12-11-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #7
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

DaltonST,

I DID in fact start a multi-select with the column cell selected, but when I clicked on the upper left corner space to select all, it didn't work. Obviously, the corner clicker for select all failed to remember the last actual selected cell. So, the tool 'failed' because of my failure.

Now, not to sound like an ungrateful wretch, but would adding a line like this pseudo-example be possible? If Library_Splitter.installed then begin target.name = Library_splitter.target_Field_names; Do_Column_Fill(); end;

Obviates the need for the cell-selection. On the downside, if there are MORE than one of these type columns, you don't get to pick which one ... unless you offered a choice in the case of multiple columns to pick from. Or, if only one, then you don't even need to check for the install of Splitter. Just spitballin' here.

BUT IT ALL WORKS AS DESIGNED NOW. I am going to try something that I KNOW will be an over-nighter job. Colour me extremely happy.

GM
Old 12-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #8
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

DaltonST,

Actually I think I've been leading you down the wrong path. While it is an anathema to repeat code, I think a FILL COLUMN FROM CLIPBOARD button could be added to the SPLITTER dialog either to the left of the button row or on top to indicate job sequence. That keeps the whole process within one addin rather than clicking around. And it will KNOW what column to fill rather than this being in the right-cell requirement. It could be a sequence of selecting the splitter column in a forever remembered field, then the fill button, then the row to copy or move, then the exit button row.

Makes sense, no?

GM
Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
DaltonST
Deviser

What I do is detach the tear-off submenu for 'Metadata' GUI Tools, and then push it over to the far right side of the screen so that most of it is hanging into space. It takes up just a tiny bit of screen space, and yet its tools are always available for instant clicking. See the attached image.

There is no reason to keep the LS dialog visible until you are going to actually execute a copy or move.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	job_spy_tearoff_menus_with_library_splitter.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	588.2 KB
ID:	160595  

Last edited by DaltonST; 12-12-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:13 AM   #10
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

DaltonST,

Again, we have a different strokes for different strokes situation. I personally would be reluctant, VERY reluctant to give over even the 'tiny amount of space.' to the tear-off menu because I honestly JUST discovered a use for ONE of the menu items. And as much time and effort as you put into Job Spy, it still is largely built around functions I don't personally make use of. And doubt that I will.

Plus, it takes away from Library Splitter that multiple actions have to take place away from the addin before it is useful. It's ALWAYS easy in a already existing way for books to be selected and then moved ... relatively speaking. What Splitter is, is a tool to make large-scale flags for multiple destinations and then execute copies or moves. At least, that's what I understand it's purpose is.

Keeping the process within the non-modal addin, rather remembering to copy to the clipboard, select the cell, traverse either a torn-off menu or through three levels of a button's right-click, THEN repeat, until ready to run Splitter, seems awkward from MY perspective, even if I understand how you can have a completely different perspective. And that's where the you, as the designer, have to decide on ease of use for yourself or for your using public. And AGAIN, I admit, your way MAY, indeed, be the easiest for OTHER members of the public, too.

I suggest something like THIS in your non-modal box, would be more self-contained and logical in attachments below.

Respectfully, GM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17-12-13 04_07_50 [GS]-Library Splitter suggestion.png
Views:	677
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	160601  
Old 12-13-2017, 04:15 AM   #11
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

I realize the clipboard button SHOULD say 'Copy Clipboard to [SELECTED]'s COLUMN'
Old 12-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Gary_N_Mugford - this may help, you can add selected JS options to the Favourites plugin, viz:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	160603

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #13
DaltonST
Deviser

GM:

The root cause of all of your posts is the illogical and indefensible lack of standard functionality in Bulk Metadata Edit for "plain text" and "short text" Custom Columns. Take your fight where it belongs.

DaltonST
Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Gary_N_Mugford - this may help, you can add selected JS options to the Favourites plugin, viz:

Attachment 160603

BR
BetterRed, It's been there since DaltonST released it. I also have a direct button on the toolbar ... sort of RIGHT BESIDE Library Splitter now. But I've long aimed at reduced keyclicks and button-pushing for years in my own software. Within my main program, just about ANY piece of information on anything related to ANY part is available for less than three actions after typing in as much of the part as is needed to be close to unique. Customer Service appreciates that. Nothing worse than a CS Rep saying "Can you hold on for a sec," to a customer. At any rate, it's a bit boorish of me to try and bully DaltonST into seeing things my way. He's got his way, and IT WORKS. So, I'm calling a halt to my campaign.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #15
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
GM:

The root cause of all of your posts is the illogical and indefensible lack of standard functionality in Bulk Metadata Edit for "plain text" and "short text" Custom Columns. Take your fight where it belongs.

DaltonST
You're not wrong. I surrender. Thanks for taking the time to create this. GM

NOTE: And we both know Kovid will respond somewhat ... negatively ... to this request given it's ... lack of common need.

Tags
automation, copy to library, library, move to library