Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
kindite
kindite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3g+Wifi
Any heavy online 3G readers here? How heavy do you use your 3G connection?

Has anyone ever been banned by Amazon for using their Kindle 3G's wireless service too much?

I do a *massive* amount of online reading each day (6-8 hours constant, 10+hrs not unheard of). The Kindle 3G for me is the perfect combo of online text access and portability + battery life. I know it's "unlimited", but as with every marketing campaign there's hidden "limits".

No tethering or hacks here, just a hard-core online reader

Any other heavy online 3G reader members here that can chip in with their experience?

Last edited by kindite; 03-25-2011 at 03:40 PM.
kindite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Never heard of it. It's difficult to imagine what one might use the browser for that could incur an unacceptable overhead - it's no speed demon, is it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
kindite

In terms of use long term, not speed wise

My main point for getting the Kindle 3G is because of it's wireless 3G capability- I do a *hefty* amount of online reading as in 6-8rs a day (straight, constant use). multiply that by 5-6 days a week, year in year out that seems like it might "stand out" in terms of bandwidth usage over 3G.

I am weary of any potential "glass ceiling" that I may cross over. No shady hanky panky here, but I would be using the browser over 3G way, way more than the books storage capability.

Last edited by kindite; 03-25-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you checked that the sites you'd want to use actually work on the Kindle's browser? It is somewhat basic in functionality.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
If you want to torture yourself in such a fashion, go for it. It would be like sucking Lake Michigan through a straw.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I think that if you are just reading, you aren't going to really be sucking up that much bandwidth. Reading for multiple hours isn't the same as downloading continuously for those same amount of hours (my thought). I have a feeling that when you get to sites that might eat up a lot of bandwidth, the slow speed of Amazon's browser is going to drive you crazy before you ever get to using a lot of bandwidth.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Also, it doesn't support Flash, etc., and you can't open things like PDF files from web pages, etc. The browser is way to slow and limited to use for any extended amount of time.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
kindite

I know the Kindle browser's interface is a throwback to the glory days of AOL 2.0 dial-up, and has about as much functionality as elinks, but it does great for text sites (majority of my online reading).

It sounds unlimited truly is, unlimited (given the spartan constraints)
Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
My daughter often reads several hours a day on Kindle's 3G, mostly at fanfiction.net. The very simple browser doesn't get in the way, since what she wants to read is lightly-formatted text archives.

I believe it's truly unlimited; there's not enough people putting strain on it that Amazon has to limit it. Restricting the bandwidth would mean cutting off browsing & sales at their own store, which is probably where the majority of Kindle 3G activity is.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
kindite

With the iPhone and Android smartphone markets doing most of the media-rich internet heavy lifting, it seems like these niche markets can finally develop. With the smartphone users paying the piper to build the infrastructure, Kindle's 3G can fit "between the cracks" with a rundown browser.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
I'm afraid that I can't help, as I only have the wifi version (if I'd realised they were going to open up the browser I would have gone for the 3g =( ). I have just put the readability mod on my Kindle, and it really helps with reading on the browser. If you're up for hacking your Kindle I highly recommend it - it changes all the settings for 'article mode' for a much smoother experience.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
kindite

EDIT: Answered own question

readibility mod found here: http://kindlebru.com/

Last edited by kindite; 03-26-2011 at 12:12 AM.