Notices

Old 11-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #796
mirikbb
mirikbb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
@mirikbb:

There is already a way to easily correlate different languages of the same book to each other without developing a new plugin for that sole purpose.
[6] Create a custom column named '#translation_group'.

[7] Using the 'Multi-Column Search' plugin as described in Page 4 of its User Guide, and which is attached below, search using an Inter-Book Query.

[8] For each 'group' returned in the Search Results, add whatever value you would like in the '#translation_group' custom column.
DaltonST
Hello DaltonST

That looks promising. Let me try.

To point 8.
"[8] For each 'group' returned in the Search Results, add whatever value you would like in the '#translation_group' custom column."

I see space for improvement if plugin, which does the search, automatically set #translation_group to some common value for found correlated books. So for example of Author Michael Crichton with correlated titles Airframe+ all its translated versions, set #translation_group to "Crichton1". Sorting library by translation_group column would sort all translations by their membership.

Nevertheless, thank you for idea.
mirikbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #797
odradek
odradek began at the beginning.

Device: odradek
[Plugin Request] scraper for Library of Congress Subject Headings

I was glad to see a request for a BISAC scraper. I'd like to see that and something similar for Library of Congress Subject Headings.

I have a hierarchical column called "LoC Subject Headings" (#locsh) of type "Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser". I'd like a button that populates it automatically.

The data can be scraped from WorldCat and LoC websites. For example, searching for "The Andy Warhol Diaries", WorldCat returns:

"Warhol, Andy, -- 1928-1987 -- Diaries.
Artists -- United States -- Diaries.
Artists -- United States -- Biography.
Warhol, Andy, -- 1928-1987.
Artists.
United States."

The Library of Congress returns:

"Warhol, Andy, 1928-1987 --Diaries.
Artists --United States --Diaries."

Some regex could massage these into:

"Warhol/ Andy 1928-1987.Diaries,Artists.United States.Diaries,Artists.United States.Biography,Warhol/ Andy 1928-1987,Artists,United States"

and

"Warhol/ Andy 1928-1987.Diaries,Artists.United States.Diaries"

(Note how ',' within tags must be handled, and the format of tags for a person.) and these could be sent to the #locsh column.

Similarly, for BISAC, an Amazon search returns (and there may be other sources than Amazon):

"#52 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Artists, Architects & Photographers
#246 in Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Artists, Architects & Photographers
#924 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Professionals & Academics"

Which could be processed into:

"Biographies & Memoirs.Arts & Literature.Artists/ Architects & Photographers,Biographies & Memoirs.Arts & Literature.Artists/ Architects & Photographers,Biographies & Memoirs.Professionals & Academics"

and added to a BISAC (#bisac) custom column.

Incidentally, the LoC also has a similar field called "Genre/Form Terms", but these haven't been widely worked out, and it is usually empty. News on them is here.

I think there are similar plugins and this shouldn't be too hard for a good Python programmer. How about it?
odradek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #798
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
icon plugin. Icons to use with the custom icon column in the "Look and Feel" section of the GUI.

I can't find compatible icons that would work well with the GUI

Need customization for colors. Choose shapes, (hearts, circles, squares, x's, arrows, or check marks).
I would suggest just doing a google search for images and icons. I've done that and have reasonable success finding what works for the need and appears clearly when so small.

Just a suggestion.
Remember to store them in your Calibre Config Directory-Custom/cc_icons .
You may have to "Browse" to pull the icon. They don't all appear automatically in the list when not in PNG format. Browsing and choosing just once pulls them in if not.
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #799
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
REQ/Suggest Audible Basic Metadata Plug-in....

I incorrectly posted this as a separate thread here. If that was not ok, then moderators please remove. I'm pasting the same info here.

Just looking for at least a "basic" one that can search for the book title and author on Audible.com and return the metadata that the user can choose and auto fill custom columns.
This is the basic stuff that shows in an audible listing.
As with many things, this will not always be perfect, especially since the search would be based on the boot title and author only.

Ex:
  • Narrator(s)
  • Length (in decimal hours or a text formal such as 9hr13min - user choice in settings if possible)
  • Whether or not it's abridged or unabridged
  • Publisher of Audibook
  • IF POSSIBLE, the price at time of search.

I suggest custom column lookups below, but perhaps these could also be left to the user to customize too. I've seen all of these customization abilities in other "basic" plug-ins.

I say "basic" both as the type of metadata but knowing none of this is simple. I just hope someone else who can will see the value of this.

I use Calibre to keep a record of books I have but also want to be able to store this info for my listings in a batch operation and be able to do the quick lookups and comparisons that Calibre allows. I can already easily look for the book in a custom search (Search the Internet plug-in), but the time to type the info is a waste of time when it could be automated.

Default column lookups and names (but customizable).
  • #narrator / Narrator(s) - Author listing format (avail in Tag browser)
  • #audibletime / AudibleLength (in decimal hours or a text formal such as 9hr13min - user choice in settings if possible) - Numeric or text format
  • #Abridged / Abridged? - Text format or Yes/No with check likely for Abridged since I think there are fewer of those or a Tag format limited to Abridged and Unabridged (avail in Tag Browser)
  • #audiblepublisher / Audible Publisher - Publisher format(author listing) (avail in Tag Browser)
  • #audibleprice / Audible $ - Decimal format

I know how to request but not do this. If you want a tester or a partner to "fill in the obvious", I think I could do that if you get the framework going...I hope.
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #800
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
I would really love it if someone could write a plugin that would underline spelling mistakes in the title column.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #801
Zorg707
Calibre User
Zorg707 began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks for Macbook Pro & iPad
Word count for each TOC entry

Word count for each TOC entry
It would be great if Calibre had a feature where somehow, someway it would display the word count of each table of contents (TOC) entry. The reason that I bring this up is because I read a lot of short story collections and anthologies, and I keep a list of every novelette, novella, and novel that I read. The criteria for novelette, novella, and novel are based on word count.

I know that Sigil can do something similar in that it displays word count for each .html file in the tools-->reports section as well as the total word count for the entire ebook.

The “Count Pages” plug-in only provides the total number of words for the entire ebook, not for each short story/chapter/TOC entry. For that, a new feature or plug-in would have to be created for Calibre.

As of now I have subsisting on using the Calibre Viewer and copying then pasting the section that appear long enough to be a novelette onto Microsoft Word and getting a word count via that method. Yes, I am aware of Internet speculative fiction database, but their calculations are often wrong or non-existent.

I believe this feature or pugin-in would provide a great addition to Calibre and save many souls. Thank you for your time.
Zorg707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #802
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I an not sure many people want per-chapter word counts. And there is an EpubSplit plugin for separating anthologies into one book per short story -- which perhaps you should be doing anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #803
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, I an not sure many people want per-chapter word counts. And there is an EpubSplit plugin for separating anthologies into one book per short story -- which perhaps you should be doing anyway.
Would you really apply your salami slicer to Joyce's Dubliners, Kipling's Just So, Adichie's The Thing Around Your Neck . . .

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #804
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
(I just noticed the Calibre does not break out details that far. Tells you how mush I worry. I just want the words to have the Spelling correct)

I have never cared as a Reader, how many words in a section.
Count Pages fills my need for the books I have
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #805
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Would you really apply your salami slicer to Joyce's Dubliners, Kipling's Just So, Adichie's The Thing Around Your Neck . . .

BR
I might.

Although I would be far more likely to apply the slicer to R. A. Salvatore's rather-too-obviously-named The Collected Stories, or Jim Butcher's Side Jobs.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #806
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've long suspected you were a Philistine. And would you also chop up your monthly NYRBs and Vanity Fairs for similar reasons.

I actually think the idea has merit, after all a traditional ToC has page numbers. Those who are old enough to have working mental arithmetic faculty can judge by the length (pages or words), author, and subject if a story warrants just a 10 minute skim on the train, or deserves a 45 minute contemplation in the garden.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #807
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I actually think the idea has merit, after all a traditional ToC has page numbers. Those who are old enough to have working mental arithmetic faculty can judge by the length (pages or words), author, and subject if a story warrants just a 10 minute skim on the train, or deserves a 45 minute contemplation in the garden.
I think that's the place to put it. An inline ToC with the length of the section could be useful. When reading short stories in pbooks, I did look at the ToC to see how long the story was.

Putting it in the NCX could also be done. I don't like that idea as much, but I'm sure some people would do it.

One concern would be nexted ToCs. Does the highest level count all sub-sections or just the bit up to the first sub-section? Either would be "easy". Or at least it is if everything is in separate files. Multiple chapters in one file would complicate it a bit.

In any case, this sounds like an editor plugin. It would be a modification of the code for generating either the in-line ToC or the NCX. Subclassing these and overriding the title generation to calculate the word count would be "easy".

There's the design, someone can write the code
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #808
Zorg707
Calibre User
Zorg707 began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks for Macbook Pro & iPad
Thank you all so much for the lively discussion. Unfortunately, I don't know squat about writing code. But I would be glad to donate via PayPal to the developers' account. Plus, you get the bonus of creating your own unique plug-in.---Zorg707
Zorg707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:02 AM   #809
enkirkby
enkirkby began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Calibre vs embedded metadata

Hello,
would it be somehow possible to compare ebook embedded metadata with metadata in Calibre? I know about "Embed metadata" plugin, but it is useless do it for book with metadata already in it.

So maybe idea for new plugin or extension to "embed metadata" plugin?
1) compare book metadata vs. caliber metadata
2) exclude already embedded books
3) update books with metadata differences

Thank you. EKB
enkirkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #810
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That seems rather wasteful.

If you are going to open the ebook file anyway, to check the current metadata, you might as well just update it anyway.

Tags
calibre, chatbot, cover, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, kindle, metadata calibre title, missing, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development, scribe