Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The terminal "s" isn't all that good an indicator, though, Nate. Consider Adidas for example.

The nice thing about speaking Texan is that nobody knows when your grammar is out of kilter -- even other Texans just assume it's some sort of colorful colloquialism.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Have iRex given you any indication of when you're likely to get your iLiad, Martin?

amazon.co.uk don't sell eBooks at all, AFAIK.
Funny -- this was how I automatically knew HarryT was a Brit.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #18
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
English

I can't pass up the obvious quotation by Shaw: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language".
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My favorite is: "English is a language in which the rules exist for the sole purpose of giving identity to the exceptions."
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My favorite:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.

James Nicholl
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist

I like that one too. I can't remember where I ran across it though ... it was in a book somewhere, maybe?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.

James Nicholl
Mr. Nicholl said it on some alt.news.group back in 1990. It has been mis-attributed to a number of famous dead people, but no evidence of the quote predates 1990.

You have probably seen it in a lot of places. My favorite is in the novel Hell's Gate, where it was used without attribution to describe a fictional language.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-11-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, that would explain it. I'm really thinking I've seen it in a book, because I seem to recall putting the book down and laughing over it a good few minutes. Followed by trying to read it to my wife (the English Prof.), and not having much luck for fits of snickering.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #24
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Prescriptivists vs Descriptivists

Prescriptivists think the language belongs to them, or a least they hold it hostage for "purity"; Descriptivists know that the language belongs to the people who use it and are delighted by its fluxuations. A good writer knows the conventions of his language and how to use them. A great writer knows the conventions of his language and how to break them--a sort of literate terrorist.

I try hard to write good, occasionally (read rarely) I write well--but never great. Now, could someone tell me why my stylus doesn't work on my Sony Reader?
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
... could someone tell me why my stylus doesn't work on my Sony Reader?
It's 'cause you're not holding your mouth right.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #26
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
My favorite quote on the subject up to this point was H. Beam Piper, remarking (paraphrased) that English was a result of Norman guards trying to make dates with Saxon barmaids, and about as legitimate as the usual outcome of such an alliance.

But that Nicholl quote is making me reconsider.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:06 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
Prescriptivists vs Descriptivists

Prescriptivists think the language belongs to them, or a least they hold it hostage for "purity"; Descriptivists know that the language belongs to the people who use it and are delighted by its fluxuations. A good writer knows the conventions of his language and how to use them. A great writer knows the conventions of his language and how to break them--a sort of literate terrorist.
Although that is absolutely true, there is no variant of English that I'm aware of in which it's considered "legitimate" to use "it's" as a possessive pronoun, which was the original issue at state.

It just completely and utterly baffles me why so many people get this wrong. How difficult is it to remember that "it's" means "it is", and "its" means "belonging to it"? This is not "rocket science"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #28
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
You're all wrong. Dutch is a way better language than English or American.

That reminds me of when I was teaching English in Sth Korea. I was teaching them countries and language names and such and I asked them what people in England speak. The answer from my students: "American".

Mwuuhaahaaa.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #29
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Someone I heard of gave up trying to learn English when they saw the following statement written down...

We sow seeds, but we also sew seams, so it seems.
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I like this:

Though the tough cough, and the hiccoughs plough him through.
-Robert Heinlein

Two of the spellings have changed.