Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: When you buy a book, are you buying the content, or only the media?
When I buy a book, I'm buying the content, and moving that content between media types [physical/electronic] is covered 53 88.33%
I buy a specific media format [physical/elec]. If I want the content in a different format I have to re-buy it. 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #31
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacWolf View Post
Interesting, as this concept actually does apply to software... For example, if you buy an older version of something at a yardsale, discount-bin, etc (even if the media is damaged). The "license" is the software not the media, so you can download the full software [often from the manufacturer], but more importantly it gives you access to a newer "upgrade-only" version. I actually do this all the time.

This is the problem it seems that each content "type" seems to have it's own legislation, which suddenly fails in the digital age...
I'm assuming you get the upgrade/new copy from the vendor. If that's the case then it'd be like writing to the author (or maybe publisher, but you'd likely have better luck with the author), explaining how you bought the book but are unable to read it, yada, yada, yada.

They own the copyright so, if they choose, they have the right to give you a new copy. Or a new version-but it's their choice, not your right.

And then there's the rights they give you under contract law. If they offer the upgrade based on ownership of the a prior version, without specifying that the prior version must still be usable, that's their perogative. AFAIK you have no rights to the upgrade under copyright law, only under contract law. But I could be wrong about that. As always, IANAL.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #32
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwarren View Post
I think you should be buying the content and be able to munge it in to whatever format you require to view.

However, I don't think that is what the law in my country states. For music, it was only last year that Australians were legally allowed to rip their CDs to a portable music device. I think that currently there are no similar provisions even for other content types.

IANAL, research this on your own
Yes, there are. Text is also explicitly allowed.

Video wasn't except with stupid limits like 'you can copy a tv show' but have to watch it then delete it and other crazy stuff like that, from memory.

The actual legislation etc. is online. Very easy to find.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #33
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Funny, that you think it's alright to request a $5 book from England, which likely costs the library (the taxpayers, actually) more than that to ship to the US for your reading pleasure, and then ship back.... Plus, think of all the pollution generated to bring the book to your doorstep.
Who said anything about a $5 book? Also if I want to order it, you can bet there are more people who wish to read it here in the US. The way it works is that it gets shipped to all of the people here before going back to England.

How much pollution do you think a 2 pound book costs to get mailed from England to the US? I guess we should stop all international mail service in order to prevent this tremendous amount of pollution that you think I created.

Lets be honest. You don't like my opinion, so you want to make a BS argument against me. Instead you should try and argue against my actual post instead of attacking me for for false and idiotic reasons.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Well, if I printed out those scans and kept them on paper instead of as a digital file, it would be completely legal. The intent of the law is to stop illegal filesharing. Since the books are Danish, and somewhat obscure, it's highly unlikely I would be able to get them from anywhere else.

Edit, added: This is why I stated that the law doesn't really take books into account. As I said, I can completely legally make a paper copy of any book I borrow, provided I do it myself, and for my own private use. I don't really think there is much difference between keeping a scan of the books rather than a paper copy - not in a sense that would matter. As much work is involved, as well as data loss. It's not like copying a digital music file. And I've not put it up for download.
Maybe Danish law allows you to do that. In the US, you don't have the right to make copies of complete books that you don't own so that you can keep one.

Maybe, also there is a cultural difference, but for me, I see this as theft.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #35
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by scveteran View Post
Maybe Danish law allows you to do that. In the US, you don't have the right to make copies of complete books that you don't own so that you can keep one.

Maybe, also there is a cultural difference, but for me, I see this as theft.
I'm sorry but there is no 'maybe' about the law. More info here:
http://translate.google.com/translat...sp&sl=da&tl=en

As for 'theft', both our countries recognises this as depriving someone of a physical artifact. Which is obviously not the case with electronic files. It's copyright infringement. Lets call it what it is first.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copyright