Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #301
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You need a mechanism to give something up?
Yes, if they have one starred it, are you suggesting that they un one star it?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #302
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Yes, if they have one starred it, are you suggesting that they un one star it?
That would be nice, but I certainly don't expect that kind of conscientious behavior.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #303
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Digital goods sure have made the concept of value confusing. How much does it cost to download a purchased version of Adobe CS5? Like $2,000 or something? Sure it's the result of a lot of time and skilled labor, but so is the 900 pages of Lonesome Dove, and that's $12.99. I don't even know what to think anymore.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #304
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It isn't quite that equivalent. Try comparing how many people Adobe employed for years to create the whole CS5 suite versus 900 pages from an author.

How many man-years did Lonesome Dove require to write? I'll be generous and say three man-years.

Adobe has over 9,000 employees in total (from their Yahoo finance profile). I don't know for sure but I imagine about one third of the company works on that suite (versus Flash, Acrobat, and a couple of other odd projects). I'll be conservative and call the effort to release CS5 3,000 man-years (much of the CS5 suite takes more than 12 months between cycles).

So you're comparing 3 to 3000. That's two orders of magnitude and it just so happens to nearly match with the price difference you noted ($12.99 to $2K). Also a large proportion of CS5 users qualify for upgrade pricing.

In reality, prices in unregulated markets are always what the market will bear. But the example you cited just happens to have a rule-of-thumb answer as well.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #305
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Additionally CS5 is a money making tool, while the book is just for entertainment. Also consider the number of units Adobe expects to be sold after investing so many man hours. Not to mention the overhead.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 AM   #306
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True enough. Personally, I would rather have a copy of Lonesome Dove, and I didn't even like it that much.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #307
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Well, an author does expect to be paid for their efforts. We have raging discussions about that constantly here. It certainly affects writers, to compare what they expect to earn in a "real job" (lol) versus following their drive to write. The average Adobe employee probably does have more income, and at a steadier rate, than the average published author.

OTOH, I suspect Larry McMurty makes considerably more than just about anyone below the executive level at Adobe, having written books that were made into successful movies. Of course the dude is in his 70's and worked his @ss off writing for many years!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #308
OtterBooks
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It could even be as I suggested earlier: all these 1-star reviews have drawn attention to the book, so it sells more and those that actually do like it feel obliged to offer their review. I wondered if Amazon may be leaving things as they because it was a benefit to them. That's one of the difficulties of protests made from a position of ignorance, you never quite know when your protests are having the opposite effect to the one you wanted.
I've realized that when I am looking through books on Amazon, a huge review-count will catch my eye as much or more than the star average.

1-star price protesters crank up the review numbers without saying anything bad about the novel itself, possibly drawing attention to the book and the positive content reviews, while maybe even drowning out negative content reviews. The publisher could be loving this.

Or not. Either way, the ebook is #1 on NYT last I checked.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #309
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I think this horse is dead, gentlemen. It is no more, it is an ex horse.

I'm going to call it. TOD 0955 PDT.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #310
steve g
steve g began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
factors in the cost

It has been too long since I visited this site and I intend to be far more regular about my posts and ideas. That said, I am struck by the same discussion I read 2 years ago, the cost of ebooks versus print. I am not in the publishing industry and would ask someone who is truly knowledgeable to break down the cost of a $30 fiction book. Assume it is sold at list. In dollar amount how much to the print cost, distribution, publicity, royalties and other costs I don't know about. I recognize that most books are never sold at list, but this should give a starting point for good discussion.
steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #311
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Indeed it has been a while... such breakdowns have been posted in this and other threads already and spawned much discussion... though I can't comment on whether it was good as that's subjective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve g View Post
It has been too long since I visited this site and I intend to be far more regular about my posts and ideas. That said, I am struck by the same discussion I read 2 years ago, the cost of ebooks versus print. I am not in the publishing industry and would ask someone who is truly knowledgeable to break down the cost of a $30 fiction book. Assume it is sold at list. In dollar amount how much to the print cost, distribution, publicity, royalties and other costs I don't know about. I recognize that most books are never sold at list, but this should give a starting point for good discussion.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #312
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve g View Post
I recognize that most books are never sold at list...
Certainly best sellers are typically heavily discounted, but I think that a trip to Borders and B&N will show that most books in b&m stores are indeed sold at list.

I think that's a big reason fewer people are shopping in the b&m stores. The books are just too darn expensive.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote