Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Bioniceye
Bioniceye began at the beginning.

Device: None
Setting Kindle-for-ipad so visually impaired people can read it

Hello all,

I am legally blind, and can't quite read the kindle-for-ipad text when it is set to its largest font size. In order to make the text large enough for me, I have to additionally zoom the ipad screen by double tapping with three fingers. However, this means that some of the kindle text expands out of sight, forcing me to scroll the page left and right and up and down just to read all the text on one page, which isn't desirable. So what I'm wondering is if any of you know whether or not the kindle-for-ipad app can be set so that it doesn't open into full screen mode but rather only takes up some of the ipad screen when opened, as it does for instance when opening Kindle-for-PC on a PC. That way, you see, the text in the kindle app will only occupy a small area of the ipad screen, meaning that when I zoom the screen, the kindle text won't immediately expand beyond the frame of the ipad; it will all be visible (unless I keep zooming), thereby allowing me to see an entire page of text in one view without having to scroll, at a font size I can now read.

Interestingly, the ibooks app on ipads allows me to enlarge font to a greater size than in the Kindle app, to the point where I don't need to zoom the screen in order to get the text large enough. However, I am unable to purchase any of the ibooks titles in my country (I can only download the free titles). Rather frustrating.

Optionally, if I am unable to open the kindle app in a semi-minimized mode, does anyone know how significantly I am able to increase the margin size on a kindle page? If the increase is significant enough, it may reduce the area of text on a page to a degree where I can zoom the screen without causing the text to expand passed the ipad frame, thus eliminating the need to scroll.

I haven't purchased an ipad yet; I've only been able to sample one at a store. But it's awkward doing that, which is why I've resorted to asking questions in here. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I hope I have expressed my dilemma clearly.
Bioniceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Hi,

iOS apps can only be full screen, you can't have overlapping windows like on a PC.

You can increase the margin in the kindle app, there are three different settings for margin width. I will try to attach a screen shot but I'm not sure this will work. Hey, yes, apparently it did. I hope it helps. I set the font size to the maximum and also the margin width.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	93469  
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
If iBooks works for you as a reading app, why not use it? If it's the only app suiting you, you might as well have your books in there... I'm also pretty sure there's someone around here willing to help you with the conversion of Kindle books to ePubs...
You could also call and write to Amazon to ask for a bigger font size or a general "visually impaired" font that is better to read (the Instapaper app has this btw, really good)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote