Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Attempts to get Paper-white into download mode without disassembly

I have seen some other people attempt this, so I thought I would put my attempts that have not worked.

Here is what @eureka found in 2011 for the Kindle Touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
While poking with my "bricked" Kindle Touch, I've found a way to enable "USB downloader" boot mode of Freescale i.MX508 MCU used in a device.

When mode is enabled, Kindle is recognized as USB HID device with VID 0x15A2 and PID 0x0052. It should be possible to connect to it via custom Serial Download Protocol designed by Freescale and described in MCU Reference Manual. Protocol allows to read/write memory, upload program image into RAM and start executing at given address.

(More info has been dumped to wiki page about Kindle Touch hacking).

To enable this mode one should perform "hard reset" with pressed Home button. Hold Home button, then perform "hard reset" by holding Power button for 20 seconds and releasing it. Then wait about a second or two and release Home button. That's all.

It's easier to follow with Kindle connected to computer. After 20 seconds of holding Power button, Kindle USB disk should be detached from computer. It's time to release Power button. Then Kindle should be recognized as USB HID device. Now Home button could be released.

With loading arbitary code to RAM and executing it, this mode could be used as base for the ultimate unbricking solution, so I'm pretty excited about it. But it could be just a useless discovery if any restrictions will be revealed in further exploration.

Anyway, it is of no value for ordinary user right now.

Because the kindle recognizes touches on two opposite corners to do screenshots, I was hoping there was some configuration to mimic home button.

If anyone knows the config file that specifies the pixels that screenshot works in, please let me know it may have this info, or prove it false.

I used 'USBDeView' to check when the kidnle disconnected after I eject it.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

The download link is almost all the way down the bottom, above the translations.

I have tried the following hooked up to PC, with kindle on "USB Drive Mode"

Attempt 1:
Code:
1. Press top left and bottom right corners to take screenshot, and keep holding.
2. Hold power button until kindle disconnects from PC.
3. release power button.
Result: Kindle booted up normally.

Attempt 2:
Code:
1. Press bottom left and bottom right corners and keep holding.
3. release power button.

Attempt 2:
Code:
1. Press bottom center, where there is a "arow" below the front bezel and keep holding.
3. release power button.

I have tried the following hooked up to PC, after ejecting kindle.

Attempt 4:
Code:
1. Press top left and bottom right corners to take screenshot, and keep holding.
3. release power button.

Attempt 5:
Code:
1. Press bottom left and bottom right corners and keep holding.
3. release power button.

Attempt 6:
Code:
1. Press bottom center, where there is a "arow" below the front bezel and keep holding.
3. release power button.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Remember:
It has two buttons, one mechanical on bottom edge, one magnetic (Hall effect) in lower right corner.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Furthermore, some devices requires to be completely turned off before booting in download mode.
For example, first power off and then plug USB while pressing some button
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I notice in disassembly that there are 4 pins on the connector for the power button. I know this thread is about doing this without disassembly, but I'd also be interested on doing this without serial, for people without soldering skills.

I wonder if any of those extra pins could be a "home" button.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #5
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PaperWhite Manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I notice in disassembly that there are 4 pins on the connector for the power button. I know this thread is about doing this without disassembly, but I'd also be interested on doing this without serial, for people without soldering skills.

I wonder if any of those extra pins could be a "home" button.
Do you have any new experience or update, coplate ?
anhyeuviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyeuviolet View Post
Do you have any new experience or update, coplate ?
No, I haven't got anywhere, have you tried anything I haven't listed here?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PaperWhite Manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
No, I haven't got anywhere, have you tried anything I haven't listed here?
I tried all of them but there is nothing new.
Hold power button only make Kindle reboot. Tested with closed magnetic cover but no luck.
anhyeuviolet is offline   Reply With Quote