Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read a lot in direct sunlight?
Yes, a lot. 71 31.84%
Just a little. 79 35.43%
Almost never. 49 21.97%
Never. 24 10.76%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Do you read in direct sunlight?

This is not about which screen is best for reading.

OK, lets get started.

There are lots of comments about what your screen preference is in a ereader. If you want one of those polls go here > What do you NEED for Display?

What I really want to know is How many read a lot in the sun?

I remember seeing a guy's body being taken off a beach. Heat stroke, dead. Probably not too bad a way to die. Sleeping in the sun. And though I still enjoy the ocean waves, and a nice sandy beach I could never just sit out there and read.

So, do you read a lot in direct sunlight? Just a little? Almost never? Never?
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I live in the desert where we receive a LOT of sun. I've already had several suspicious moles removed, two of which were precancerous (one had to have a second slice removed to make sure they got it all) so I don't need to be in the sun anymore than necessary. Besides, much of the time, it's too darned hot to be comfortable in the direct sun.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I never read a paper book in the sun. I have tried but it's too bright. Last week while waiting for a friend in a park I pulled out my Kindle and was surprised at how pleasant it was to read.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
On nice days, my favorite spot is out on my deck with a nice tall, cool drink and my Kindle.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
bridgetostars
bridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with others

Device: Nook
Well, I'm hardly ever outside for longer than it takes to walk to my car, anyway, so I may be a sort of outlier (I'm Irish-blooded, so I have an excuse! Sunblock is expensive!), but I never really understood the term beach-read. Vacation-read, sure. But beach? I dunno.

I always wondered how many people actually read specifically on the beach. Of course, I know, I'm splitting hairs and overanalyzing, but just for my sake, please do mention if you actually read on the beach.
bridgetostars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
I always read a lot, when I'm on vacation - on the beach or at the swimming pool. I rarely read in the direct sun as I usually seek some kind of shade (don't want to get burned).
But I still am very glad for my e-ink reader (Kindle now and Cybook before) because reading on my LCD PDA was always a pain in the arse because of the bright environment even in the shade.
When its not so hot (as in e.g. spring or autumn - my favorite time of year) I like to sit in the sun and read, whenever I can.
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My Diabetes meds make me kind of sensitive to sunlight, so I tend not to stay out in it very long, which is a shame, I'd love to sit out in the sun and read on a nice day.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm with jeannie. I haven't got skin cancer yet and don't want it. In direct sunlight here in Florida it reaches 120 degrees F.
Besides that, my PRS-300 screen fades in sunlight.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm with jeannie. I haven't got skin cancer yet and don't want it. In direct sunlight here in Florida it reaches 120 degrees F.
Besides that, my PRS-300 screen fades in sunlight.

Last edited by kevinp; 09-14-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Sorry, didn't mean to double post
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I pretty well never read paper books in the sun before I got my kindle. Like patrickt says, it was just too bright. With the kindle, however, I often lay on the veranda and read in sunlight. It doesn't seem to reflect the light into your eyes.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I mostly read at home or if outside in our car while I wait for my hubby to wander the stores he likes.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
It's great for those times when I'm at the grandkid's baseball/soccer games, and waiting for a new game to start or whatever. Good way to meet people, too. This whole ebook/ereader thing is new for a lot of people, gives you a chance to get them started in the right direction, gives them a chance to get "hands on" with the devices to see what it's like.

I've got to add that these are times I would be in the sun anyway. Might as well make the best use of the time!

Last edited by vaughnmr; 09-14-2010 at 07:50 PM.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yes, on holidays.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
My general problem is that I never get to direct sunlight. I'm always stuck in buildings, on trains or walking somewhere until just before sunrise or after sunset.
I'm somewhat pale..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I like to read with my back to the warm fall sunshine but keeping my iPad in the shade of our deck. Been mighty nice here in PNW last couple of days with rain in the forecast for late week and beyond!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote