Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Sony ebook readers in Australia?

Good afternoon, all

Does anyone know when Sony ebook readers will be available in Australia? Where from? How much?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
Sony's website just says 'coming soon'.
I have read a few reviews and one claimed that the new readers were expected for sale in the UK on the 17th September....so could be the same for us in Aus. But then, can't believe everything you read. I'm just going to keep my eyes on Mobileread. I actually aren't in a big hurry, just want some in time for Christmas.
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had heard that they would be sold through Angus and Robertsons and Myers, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Regards, Alex
Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I read a thread somewhere that I cant remember where that said that they will be in stores next week at select retailers but didn't say which retailers. I was thinking Borders or maybe David Jones. They are going to have to be marketed as premium items as they will be a lot dearer than the Kobo and the new Kogan reader.
Selling them at A&R will just kill them I think. A&R ebookstore is the same store as Borders but with $2 added to the price .
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Have you looked at the new Kogan yet, Alex? Seems pretty neat (if a tad over priced in the current marketplace) and free shipping in Oz. Just ordered one for the chief of our new Australian bureau, opening in a couple of months in Adelaide. I'll ask her to report back with a hands-on review. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
jjw
jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Iphone, PRS-650
I called Sony Center in Prahran and they said they would have the e-readers in mid-September. Didn't give me an exact date though :/
jjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Have you looked at the new Kogan yet, Alex? Seems pretty neat (if a tad over priced in the current marketplace) and free shipping in Oz. Just ordered one for the chief of our new Australian bureau, opening in a couple of months in Adelaide. I'll ask her to report back with a hands-on review. Cheers. Neil
Yes, I've looked at some of the material on the web. But I want to handle my next ebook reading device before I buy it. Still, I look forward to your bureau chief's review.

Regards, Alex
Old 09-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
uclaser
Connoisseur
uclaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
http://www.sony.com.au/product/prs-350
The aussie sony website already has them for preorder, so I think it should be coming sometime this month
uclaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Good afternoon, all

Does anyone know when Sony ebook readers will be available in Australia? Where from? How much?

Regards, Alex
I sent an email to ask about this today. I'll post the response.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
whisk
whisk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Answer is here.
whisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Do Sony ebook readers support bookmarks and folders? I really like the idea of dictionaries.

Regards, Alex
Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
According to bookbee.com.au the Sony reader should be available in stores from Sept 9 but they will only be selling the PRS350 and 650 no word on when the 950 will be freed from the US

They will be sold at Borders, Myer and Sony stores.

Here's the link
http://bookbee.com.au/blog/2010/09/0...th-borders-au/
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Do Sony ebook readers support bookmarks and folders? I really like the idea of dictionaries.
Yes to bookmarks (plus highlights and text/scribbled annotations). As for folders, they ignore the file structure you might make up on disk, but they do offer collections (and you can have one book in several collections, unlike with physical folders). With new models you can manage collections on the device itself (previously it had to be done from PC).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, Igorsk, that's most helpful

Regards, Alex
Old 09-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #15
coco37
coco37 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 650,iPad
Sony ebook readers in Australia?

Quote:
Good afternoon, all

Regards, Alex
Hi Alex,

I ordered a 650 on Monday 6th Sept with the Sony ON-LINE store,price $299.00
free postage, just received e-mail today stating that it had been despatched.

Regards

Tony.
coco37 is offline   Reply With Quote