Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Drastic Difference in Text Layout: KDX vs K for iPad/PC app

I had started reading Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" on my KDX - and it is a mess.

In the pbook version, sections of text are separated into smaller units by italicized "teaser" remarks, which are set off from the text by several blank lines. This converts the long Part 1 and 2 of the book into convenient "chapters".

In the KDX version there is no spacing between the text and the italicized sections - so that the book is one long uninterrupted chapter. The italicized remarks are not bolded and do not show up clearly, and words are run together within them.
[I noticed a similar problem with the original Kindle version of H2G2 - which has italicized chapter separators - words were run together in a mess. The published of H2G2 fixed this and Amazon re-issued it.]

But - I sent "The Diamond Age" to the K for iPad app - and it displays beautifully! The italicized sections are bolded and set off by blank lines from the surrounding text - clearly reproducing the layout in the pbook version. There are no run-together words in the italicized text. It's gorgeous!

What gives here?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Perhaps the ebook has been updated. I suggest deleting the ebook from your KDX and redownloading it. However, it certainly used to be the case that new versions were not automatically pushed to existing owners.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Perhaps the ebook has been updated. I suggest deleting the ebook from your KDX and redownloading it. However, it certainly used to be the case that new versions were not automatically pushed to existing owners.
An intriguing suggestion. I deleted it and re-downloaded it. DX version still sucks. Interesting that the text rendering is so different/better on the K for iPad than on the DX!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I would definitely report it to Customer Service.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote