Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How long should a liseuse last for?
Forever and a day 9 10.47%
Up to 50 years 2 2.33%
Up to 20 years 4 4.65%
Up to 15 years 1 1.16%
Up to 10 years 19 22.09%
Up to 5 years 39 45.35%
Up to 3 years 4 4.65%
Up to 2 years 4 4.65%
1 year 1 1.16%
They're just an expensive gadget and won't last 5 minutes: get used to it 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
How long should a liseuse last for?

We all know that electronic technology often gets outmoded quickly.
However, liseuses are a special category of device. We're storing books on them, and one would presume we're hoping to be able to keep on reading them on our liseuses for years to come.
The question is: how long should a liseuse last for?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I strongly suggest not using the word liseuse.

edit: I don't know and wouldn't like to know what liseuse is. The forum text editor says it's a mistake.

Last edited by gollu; 10-23-2009 at 09:59 AM.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
please try to keep on-topic in this thread. thank you.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
We all know that electronic technology often gets outmoded quickly.
However, liseuses are a special category of device. We're storing books on them, and one would presume we're hoping to be able to keep on reading them on our liseuses for years to come.
The question is: how long should a liseuse last for?
i don't know what to vote. i would hope that they could last a long time even though for most of their lives they would be "obsolete" ; i believe my parents' small first television is still working, and it's as old as i am (literally). and my father has, next to his more recent (faster, better...) computer, a couple of real antiquities which he keeps around presumably out of nostalgia, and they still work fine too (one of them has a copy of photoshop 1 installed on it. he likes to say how it boots up in about a millisecond).

but things seem to be manufactured to break these days, and liseuses are fragile anyway, although once we see flexible screens adopted they should be a lot sturdier.

thinking about my dad's old computers (and my 10 or so year old eb1150, which also still works a treat and keeps about a 20-hour charge on the battery...), i'd kind of like to say "20 years or so" but i suspect that's wishful thinking...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I think up to 10 years. As a dedicated limited device, I expect longer fucntionality. I view my ebook device as akin to a television or a stereo system -- it should work trouble free for many years.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i don't know what to vote
So how many dedicated ebook readers have you bought thus far? How many a year is that?

:P

I'm in the 5 year bracket, but I fear two years may be more of a realistic view.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
I'm in the 5 year bracket, but I fear two years may be more of a realistic view.
Although I think this is likely true, I personally tend to keep devices far longer than the average. I had my 2 previous phones about 4 - 5 years each and my current phone going on 3 years now.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
The electronics should last a very long time. The battery will need to be replaced at some point. My concern would be with the more "mechanical" aspects -- most especially buttons used to turn pages.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
To me liseuse sounds like another word for latrine, or some other French made up word since they don't like to mix foreign words into their language. I have no problem with this, but I am not going to use that word.

That aside, a liseuse should last about 5 minutes.

An eBook reader should last at least 5 years.
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I voted 5 years. 5 years from now, what reader I'll be able to buy at my local grocery store for $29.95 should be so much more advanced than the reader I'm using now, I doubt I'll feel any compelling need to try to repair whatever has gone wrong (likely battery) with today's readers.

edited to add: Using "lisuse" so awkwardly in the title and subject when it is well known that the term is very controversial here seems to me to be nothing more than deliberate troll-baiting. If the OP actually wanted the thread to remain on-topic, I'm sure that he was well aware that this wasn't the way to do it.

Last edited by ardeegee; 10-23-2009 at 11:41 AM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post

edit: I don't know and wouldn't like to know what liseuse is. The forum text editor says it's a mistake.
Does that matter?

Back on topic:

If my Sony PRS-505 lasts less than at least five years, I'll almost certainly switch brands at my next purchase with a view toward greater longevity.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
I don't mind if my device becomes obsolete: what I want to last is just the support for my ebooks format(s).

As long as I can read new ebooks on my V3, I'll keep it and not buy a new one. When I won't be able to read new ebooks on it (for example if Jinke stops producing new firmwares with compatibility with new formats), I'll change it.
But if .lit, .epub and .mobi are still supported formats after 50 years, and my V3 still works well of course, I probably won't buy a new one.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Hard to say. I would say it depends a lot on how much you paid for it. I paid 350 euros for my Cybook so I would expect it to last at least 5 years, but well...

I will probably keep using it until it breaks down or the battery dies, whichever comes sooner.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I want to thank whoever fixed the indefinite article in the thread title.

I think my device should last 3-5 years.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
On most devices, the battery will be the limiting factor - a lithium ion battery typically has a lifetime of 3-5 years. That's a "plus" for those devices with user-replaceable batteries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote