Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Got A New Convert To The 505

Namely my Dad, we were sitting on the patio sipping a nice after dinner wine and listening to the XM Radio; I also had my Reader in it's BookArmor case and he asked what it was and I told him it was my Reader, took it out and found something he would be interested in reading and he took to it right away! I didn't need to show him how to turn pages, only how to increase text size and where the power switch was.

This wasn't the first time I tried to get him interested in reading ebooks but now he seems more open to the concept; he knows about the Kindle and that there are other competitors and I explained the pros & cons of the Kindle but he really likes my 505 and joked about taking 'borrowing' it. I suggested I could get myself the red one I've been lusting for for the past year and handing off my blue to him. He asked why red since it would be distracting and pull you out of the reading experience so I said it's because it's RED!

So now first I need to decide if I want to upgrade to the 600 or stick with the 505 and if I stick with the 505 do I wait for a price drop?

I'm glad I didn't order an Oberon cover yet; I was going to wait for the Ginkgo design in green but I don't think that would be so great with a red Reader.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I don't find my red one distracting at all. And it gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling when I open the case and see it before reading - rather like looking at the cover of your favorite book.

The 600 comes in red, too, so either way, go for it!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I don't find the red one distracting while reading. Sometimes I will open up my case and just admire the beauty of the red one, but it is no more distracting than the black color of the PRS-500 that I used to have. Plus, the red just makes me happy.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I don't find my red one distracting at all. And it gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling when I open the case and see it before reading - rather like looking at the cover of your favorite book.

The 600 comes in red, too, so either way, go for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
I don't find the red one distracting while reading. Sometimes I will open up my case and just admire the beauty of the red one, but it is no more distracting than the black color of the PRS-500 that I used to have. Plus, the red just makes me happy.
You both pretty much sum up my feelings!

I went to a local Sony store and compared them;the color didn't seem distracting at all with the red, the silver however did seem rather bright.

I'm definitely going for the red; I'm not sold on the touch screen though-- they had a 700 on display and I tried it too and didn't like the positioning of the buttons and found the touch screen page turning inconvenient. I don't anticipate needing the ability to underline or take notes. The only thing I liked about it was the ribbed texture of the body of the Reader.

I found the 505 for $250 plus $6.50 for shipping (and no tax!) at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ital_Book.html so I'll probably order one from them Saturday evening when they reopen for order taking unless someone points me to a better offer in the meantime.

I anticipate I will be like janet and be in the opening the case just to admire it!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Yea! Isn't it great to anticipate getting a new Reader?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Yea! Isn't it great to anticipate getting a new Reader?
It sure is! :

I've coveted the red one since it was released just a few months after I got my blue one. Every time someone posted pictures of their shiny new red Reader I just about wept in jealousy.

Once I get it I'll have to choose an Oberon cover for it. Decisions, decisions......
Old 08-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
It sure is! :

I've coveted the red one since it was released just a few months after I got my blue one. Every time someone posted pictures of their shiny new red Reader I just about wept in jealousy.

Once I get it I'll have to choose an Oberon cover for it. Decisions, decisions......
Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Just ordered my red 505 from B&H. SQUEEEEE! Now I wait.........estimated delivery date is August 17.

In the meantime I should probably get another BookArmor case for my Dad.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella

It's the waiting that's hard to do Congratulations!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:32 AM   #10
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
It's the waiting that's hard to do Congratulations!
Thanks! I also ordered a Book Armor case for my Dad; I figure he'll be carrying it in his briefcase with all sorts of possible hazards to the screen. I have also emphasized the delicate nature of the screen and cautioned him not to lay the Reader on the bed at night when he's done reading like he does with paper books.

Now I've got to collect all the freebies I have that he might like to read and find others that I haven't gotten around to downloading. Like with his iPod I'll be in charge of downloading/adding content to his Reader.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now I've got to collect all the freebies I have that he might like to read and find others that I haven't gotten around to downloading. Like with his iPod I'll be in charge of downloading/adding content to his Reader.
I'm sure you're aware of this already, but since you are going to be in charge of maintaining and updating his reader, you guys can share an account. You are allowed to have a total of 6 readers and computers in any combination. Your computer plus your reader plus your dad's will still leave 3 slots open. This will work out especially well if you both like the same sorts of things.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
I'm sure you're aware of this already, but since you are going to be in charge of maintaining and updating his reader, you guys can share an account. You are allowed to have a total of 6 readers and computers in any combination. Your computer plus your reader plus your dad's will still leave 3 slots open. This will work out especially well if you both like the same sorts of things.
Yes, we are going to share an account. We do share interests in mysteries so that's good. I mainly read Star Trek, historical mysteries and Regency romances; he primarily reads alternative history SF, military techno-thrillers, & spy stuff (anything with guns!). Lucky for me I've taken advantage of all the freebies Sony has offered; there's probably a dozen of those that might be of interest to him. I also figure if FW has something he'd like with a nice rebate I can pick that up for him, add to my micropay and tell him it was a freebie. I'm just so glad he's finally interested in an ebook reader!!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

I got the UPS tracking info from B&H and it's scheduled to arrive on Friday the 14th rather than the estimated Monday the 17th! I hope the Book Armor case I ordered from Amazon ships soon.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Quote:
I got the UPS tracking info from B&H and it's scheduled to arrive on Friday the 14th rather than the estimated Monday the 17th! I hope the Book Armor case I ordered from Amazon ships soon.
Yay! You're going to LOVE the red one. Having the red is your reward for being nice enough to give your father a Sony reader!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Yay! You're going to LOVE the red one. Having the red is your reward for being nice enough to give your father a Sony reader!
I love that!!! I can hardly wait! I've got to set up a collection of books for my Dad and clean "his" Reader; the screen looks like a bit like someone sneezed over it.......must have been a cat!!