Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
zander_nyrond
zander_nyrond began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Smile Calibre and Python: do they get along?

Hi. I've just downloaded Calibre and found that it did not run. I've looked for library1.db in all the usual dives and bars and come up empty. I'm now combing the rest of the system just in case, but I've noticed that some people have had to delete Python-related files from their systems before Calibre would work for them.

This could be a problem, as I need to keep Python around for other purposes. Can Calibre work with Python, or am I going to have to give up on it?

Last edited by zander_nyrond; 07-20-2008 at 06:03 AM.
zander_nyrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've used some of the command line programs from Calibre while having Python 2.5 installed. Not a problem here at all. I'm using Windows XP Pro service pack 3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yeah as far as I know calibre works just fine with python installed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
zander_nyrond

In that case, I think I have a problem. I'm using Windows XP Home on a 2.25 GHz system with 2Gb RAM. Here's my Calibre.log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 28, in <module>
File "calibre\gui2\main_ui.pyo", line 284, in <module>
File "calibre\gui2\widgets.pyo", line 18, in <module>
File "G:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\utils\fontconfig .py", line 145, in <module>
WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x00000000

As I said, I don't have a library1.db file anywhere on my computer. What have I done or failed to do?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

try this build of calibre http://theory.caltech.edu/~kovid/calibre-0.4.77.exe
Advert
Old 07-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
zander_nyrond

That seems to have done the trick. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Should upgrade be delayed if Python is installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Does this mean, if I'm running Windows XP and have Python installed, I should avoid upgrading to 0.4.78 at the current time?

Thanks!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

no 0.4.78 includes the fixes in the special build

Tags
calibre, python