Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast
unabatedshagie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
How to tell if I'm jailbroken?

Below is long story of stupidity with a nice tl;dr at the bottom.

Got a hold of a Kindle PW2 from my aunt, it had only been connected to the internet during initial setup and was running FW 5.4.2.1.

When I got a hold of it I didn't initially connect it to the internet and I successfully jailbroke it and managed to get the collection manager on it (which is all I really wanted to jailbreak for).

Then I stupidly connected it to the internet. I wasn't aware that the Kindle would auto-update or that there was a way of preventing it.

So now I have a Kindle running 5.6.1.0.6 which I believe was still jailbroken.

I then (probably stupidly) went into the settings and chose the reset device option.

Fast forward a few weeks and I read this post by madagascaradam about a similar situation to mine in which he was able to downgrade to a version of the FW on which the collection manager works fine.

I've tried following the steps but haven't had any success in downgrading it though.

I can still access KUAL and I've got the mkk folder with five files in it.

So rather than derail the collection manager thread with potentially solving my problem I thought I'd make a new thread.

tl;dr
How to tell whether or not my device is still jailbroken so I might be able to potentially downgrade.
unabatedshagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by unabatedshagie View Post
- - - -
I then (probably stupidly) went into the settings and chose the reset device option.
Too bad.
With that you may have just selected the serial port jail break method.
Quote:
Fast forward a few weeks and I read this post by madagascaradam about a similar situation to mine in which he was able to downgrade to a version of the FW on which the collection manager works fine.
Read a bit closer, that is a PW-1 and you say you have a PW-2.
Quote:
I've tried following the steps but haven't had any success in downgrading it though.

I can still access KUAL and I've got the mkk folder with five files in it.

So rather than derail the collection manager thread with potentially solving my problem I thought I'd make a new thread.

tl;dr
How to tell whether or not my device is still jailbroken so I might be able to potentially downgrade.
The post you linked to, **should** become the first post of a new thread, sometime, RSN, once a moderator gets time to do it.

Run the 'hotfix' just in case - it should do no harm.
Add MrPI (Mobilread Package Installer) extension to KUAL -
Then try to install something, if it works, your still jail broken.
If it doesn't work, and there wasn't any pebkac involved, your not.

Last edited by knc1; 07-29-2015 at 09:41 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
unabatedshagie
Enthusiast
unabatedshagie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I know it was for a PW-1, I was just hoping that it might work for the PW-2.
unabatedshagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:07 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
IIRC, the jailbreak is proof against either firmware updates, or resetting to factory defaults, but not both at the same time. (Although recent snapshots might try to automatedly guard against that too? )

There is a good chance you uninstalled the jailbreak.

If your jailbreak is intact, you will want to downgrade to a firmware that is Collections-friendly. Ideally, fw5.4.0 which the PW2 shipped with, since it handles hidden books and nested collections (the pre-Cloud-Collections goodies).
See Ixtab's partition images, hopefully the instructions won't scare you off!
http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-30-2015 at 02:09 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eschwartz: One or the other, and a factory reset requires a manual restore of the userstore backup to get everything back. Doing both wipes everything with no recourse.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
collection, downgrade