Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, John

Changes in spelling are most often replacement of archaic spellings with modern spellings - ankle instead of ancle for example. If the original book was published in the UK I use British spelling - honour instead of honor for example. I do silently correct typos, but don't consider that to be a change in spelling.
Thank you for the clarification.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #32
GibbinR
Connoisseur
GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad mini 5, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I think I've tried to do something along the lines of what I think you're suggesting, but I've put it in the blurb accompanying the post announcing the ebook, and in the 'Preface to this edition' in the actual ebook. I'm still struggling to find the best actual wording. I'd be grateful for suggestions or feedback.

You might like to look at Mr Wray's Cash-Box by Wilkie Collins or my later Elizabeth Gaskell ebooks for examples. I'm groping towards including a bibliography.

Is this the kind of thing you're suggesting?
Alex, I took a look at the prefaces of 'Mr Wray's Cash-Box', and 'Mary Barton'.
Both seem to me to contain most if not all of the information I'm looking for when I try to decide whether a book is likely to be of sufficient 'transcription quality' to start reading.
A couple of minor quibbles/suggestions:
1. I would explicitly separate out the 'provenance' information from the 'author biography' information. Both are useful and worth having, but I think they serve slightly different purposes.
2. In the preface to 'Mr. Wray's Cash-Box' you say 'checked against a pdf of the 1864 edition'. It might be slightly clearer to say something like 'checked against a scanned image of the 1864 edition available at http://.....pdf' if that is indeed the case.

BTW Please feel free to look at the edition notices of my last couple of uploads ('The Golden Bowl' and 'The Wings Of The Dove' both by Henry James) and tell me if I need to improve anything in them. They were done before I wrote my previous append, so I probably wasn't thinking too hard when I wrote them. And in any case it's hard to look at your own prose from someone else's point of view.
GibbinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #33
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbinR View Post
Alex, I took a look at the prefaces of 'Mr Wray's Cash-Box', and 'Mary Barton'.
Both seem to me to contain most if not all of the information I'm looking for when I try to decide whether a book is likely to be of sufficient 'transcription quality' to start reading.
A couple of minor quibbles/suggestions:
1. I would explicitly separate out the 'provenance' information from the 'author biography' information. Both are useful and worth having, but I think they serve slightly different purposes.
2. In the preface to 'Mr. Wray's Cash-Box' you say 'checked against a pdf of the 1864 edition'. It might be slightly clearer to say something like 'checked against a scanned image of the 1864 edition available at http://.....pdf' if that is indeed the case.

BTW Please feel free to look at the edition notices of my last couple of uploads ('The Golden Bowl' and 'The Wings Of The Dove' both by Henry James) and tell me if I need to improve anything in them. They were done before I wrote my previous append, so I probably wasn't thinking too hard when I wrote them. And in any case it's hard to look at your own prose from someone else's point of view.
Thanks for your suggestions. I suppose there is always the problem of deciding how much information to include, and how much to be brief. I suppose I could add 'on Internet Archive'.

I've downloaded your edition of The Golden Bowl, but as I am working on a horrendously complex ebook for a small publisher in the UK I don't know how long it will take to get back to you.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote